Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 06:18 PM

7,532 posts, read 3,236,257 times

Advertisements

Why people think they need to back into a grocery store parking spot is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 06:20 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Why people think they need to back into a grocery store parking spot is beyond me.
Beats me, but I DO know they like to complain when they can't get into their trunk because someone pulled in behind them.

From what I have witnessed, people have more trouble backing in than they do backing out.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Maybe because the pedestrian traffic gives them great concern.

When I am shopping in the Forester, backing out to leave is a concern because first, you don't know what the pedestrian traffic often is, especially as it applies to children. Secondly, my view and the view of the Forester may be blocked by a big truck right next to me. People coming through looking for the closest parking spot may be right on top of me and neither might see another until CRUNCH!

Backing in, at least in leaving, one's visibility is greater, sooner to the traffic they are entering......especially since not all people drive carefully there, anyhow.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:33 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
^^^^^^
I don't back into parking spaces because I cannot back up straight. I have a back-up camera but I still back up all wavy-like. I will, however, pull forward to the opposing adjacent space if it is available.

Backing in is encouraged in my State for safety reasons.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:35 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
True. Libraries are de facto daytime homeless shelters now, as are many other indoor spaces. Not the most pleasant places to spend time. As for bookstores, most are chains and would probably shoo you along if you tried to spend hours reading the books for free?
Fortunately we do not have the same level of homelessness that we have observed in the US. Our libraries are very busy, I go to a discussion group at one library every Saturday morning and it is held in what was once a photocopying room.

Here we have quite a lot of bookstores/coffee shops. Our local one sells new and second hand books and I think you could sit there for hours reading, especially if you buy a drink.

Do you have a lot of these places?

On another note I have again been searching for the book my daughter asked for for Christmas. Was listed online as available at Kmart but all I saw were near empty shelves in the book section. Left it too late to order online so have to trawl three local bookstores tomorrow.

Another reason to “go into town†even if only a mile or two away.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:44 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Fortunately we do not have the same level of homelessness that we have observed in the US. Our libraries are very busy, I go to a discussion group at one library every Saturday morning and it is held in what was once a photocopying room.

Here we have quite a lot of bookstores/coffee shops. Our local one sells new and second hand books and I think you could sit there for hours reading, especially if you buy a drink.

Do you have a lot of these places?
The libraries in my area are not havens for the homeless. Ours are also very busy, with plenty of activities and events for kids and adults.

And yes, we have bookstores/coffee shops. Many have books, many even have board games and puzzles!
I meet with a group of senior ladies at Barnes & Noble every Thursday at 11. We have been known to sit and chat for hours.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:03 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The libraries in my area are not havens for the homeless. Ours are also very busy, with plenty of activities and events for kids and adults.

And yes, we have bookstores/coffee shops. Many have books, many even have board games and puzzles!
I meet with a group of senior ladies at Barnes & Noble every Thursday at 11. We have been known to sit and chat for hours.
We have a wonderful county library system, and the nicest, newest branch is five minutes from my house. They have a lot of lectures and programs there, too. I want to go more.

Not a homeless haven, either. I do know that happens in some areas. There's a small town library a couple of miles in the other direction, and it's within walking distance of a motel where social services stashes homeless people waiting for housing. I've never been in that one, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get daily visitors who have nowhere else to be. The church I used to attend is on the same block as that library, and the residents of the motel came in occasionally looking for food and money.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:13 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, do we still have bookstores for people to spend hours in? Do we still have libraries? Do we still have buildings in public for people to sit down and spend a few hours to read in, where it is accepted that they do such?
Our central library is extremely popular, as are all of its branches. I noticed last week when I was picking up a load of reserved books that they have added a new section of computer stations because the original roomful of them apparently was insufficient to satisfy the needs of the patrons. Many people sit and read there, and there are also a ton of activities and meetings as well for the public. It's a very happening place!

Old 12-17-2023, 07:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I love the "Not me!" crowd on C-D. Of course, if your library is tucked away in a well-to-do suburb, you're probably not going to have a lot of homeless people hanging out there. But if your library is downtown, within walking distance of the homeless shelters, soup kitchens, counseling centers, and other social services catering to the homeless, you probably will. That's not too hard to figure out.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:02 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I love the "Not me!" crowd on C-D. Of course, if your library is tucked away in a well-to-do suburb, you're probably not going to have a lot of homeless people hanging out there. But if your library is downtown, within walking distance of the homeless shelters, soup kitchens, counseling centers, and other social services catering to the homeless, you probably will. That's not too hard to figure out.
Well, when you make a sweeping claim like:

Quote:
True. Libraries are de facto daytime homeless shelters now, as are many other indoor spaces. Not the most pleasant places to spend time. As for bookstores, most are chains and would probably shoo you along if you tried to spend hours reading the books for free?
then, naturally, people who know that not to be true are going to disagree, and you should expect them to do so.

In fact, the county branch I mentioned that is beautiful and does not have homeless people hanging out is indeed in a very affluent town and is right across the street from the shopping center with the Trader Joe's, Staples, Nothing Bundt Cakes, and a store that sells parrots. The smaller library near the transient motel is in a blue-collar town two miles down the road on a section of the highway that advertises We Buy Gold! and Psychic Readings! in neon signs. Two totally different vibes in a five-minute drive.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-17-2023 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement