Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 03:30 PM

863 posts, read 804,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Reminds me about the time I read a story by S. King. It never got to publication, but one chapter got printed. A boys grandfather spoke about how time is limitless when young, but suddenly harvest time comes, then planting then it's harvest time again!

I Believe it was "Nightmares and Dreamscapes"

It's funny, how as children, we're pretty much not heavily burdened with life, as we mature, more time is devoted to select areas.

The tragic thing is like the song "Time" from the Moody Blues.
Ten years have gone behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun.
Right lyrics, wrong group…Pink Floyd did Time. 3rd song, side one, Dark Side of the Moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 04:25 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,890,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Right lyrics, wrong group…Pink Floyd did Time. 3rd song, side one, Dark Side of the Moon.
I posted, wandered off and then heard it on the radio and heard "That was pink Floyd" and thought, "Yep, losing my mind"

Old 01-28-2022, 04:31 PM

33,551 posts, read 27,014,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Physics explains why time passes faster as you age

https://qz.com/1516804/physics-expla...er-as-you-age/

Interesting topic- if you google for it, there are quite a bit of good reads available.

I haven't found it to be the case yet (mid 50s), but sure it's coming)
That link requires you to become a member in order to read the entire article. Here's a link that lets you read the entire article.

https://merotribune.com/2019/05/16/39084/

Old 01-28-2022, 06:08 PM

31 posts, read 16,183 times
I'm still trying to accept that the 1970s was half a century ago. I'm 65.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:25 PM

8,509 posts, read 6,630,032 times
When I say"the other day" I could be refering to anytime between yesterday and 15 years ago.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:31 PM

2,945 posts, read 1,894,871 times
Such interesting, funny Posts; thank each of you for sharing !

Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,016,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Physics explains why time passes faster as you age

I always figured time passing faster was due to comparison and fractionalization.

When I was ten, a year was one tenth of my life. Now in my sixties, a year is one sixtieth of my life.

A year now is comparable to two months when I was ten.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,228,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
I always figured time passing faster was due to comparison and fractionalization.

When I was ten, a year was one tenth of my life. Now in my sixties, a year is one sixtieth of my life.

A year now is comparable to two months when I was ten.
I understand your reasoning, but do you feel like DAYS are passing faster? The same logic should apply, but to me they seem the same as they always have. I get up and go to bed about the same time I have for most of my life, and during the time I'm awake, I have just as many hours to do things as I always did - in fact, now that I'm retired, I "feel" like I have MORE time, not less. I don't feel years passing faster and I'm 67. Maybe I'm odd, but to me the years seem to be passing more slowly. Probably because I am less busy than when I was working and raising my son and every day was busy to the point where I'd think, "Wait, Christmas is coming so soon?"

To me, the "speediest" that time seemed to fly was watching my child grow up because of the dramatic changes from one year to the next. Now, not much changes, and certainly not that rapidly.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:10 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,151,240 times
Well, now I'm properly depressed, maybe distraught. I'm 71 and time is flying by...fast.

I reminisce a lot. Remembering my most excellent childhood. My parents, sister, uncles and aunts, cousins, grandparents and great grandparents too. I even liked school.

Raising my two kids, now having 5 grandchildren of my own and a new great grandson who I've yet to see. Watching them grow up has made the time whiz by. I'm not ready to go anywhere.

What's the answer for that? Forgive me I'm rambling. It's 3 am

Old 01-29-2022, 03:43 AM

2,123 posts, read 3,061,414 times
Yesterday was Monday, today is Saturday.
Slip sliding away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement