Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 11:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,025,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, I have some N95's that I wear when I have to be in close proximity to people but for the most part I use disposable surgical masks. I think overlooked in a lot of these discussions is the importance of eye protection. I don't wear goggles but I do wear glasses whenever I'm in a situation where I need to wear a mask. https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...avoid-covid-19
You're smarter than the average bear in recognizing the need for eye protection. Unfortunately, glasses will not stop all droplets and aerosols.

I wear Speedo swim goggles. Ten bucks on Amazon. Not the most comfortable item in the world but it's watertight and fully protects my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 AM

51,068 posts, read 36,780,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And I quote:

It also has an exhalation valve but the CDC says you can wear one of those cheap procedure masks or a cloth covering over the valve.

Some people just can't admit when they're wrong, I guess. Even when the proof is right in front of you.
I linked to a CDC article recommending against wearing them.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I linked to a CDC article recommending against wearing them.
Consistency is not the CDC's strong point. "Don't wear masks! Uh, wait...better wear masks!"

Old 10-30-2020, 12:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,393,849 times
It's good to see that 3M and other American manufacturers are dramatically increasing production of respirator masks and these are becoming more readily available online at reasonable prices. I have been carefully reusing my limited supply of N95 valveless masks for months wearing a cloth or disposable mask over them to keep the respirator clean. I have used up half my supply and am probably using them longer than I should. After wearing an N95, I do not feel safe with a surgical or cloth mask while indoors and yesterday ordered more respirators from a medical supply place - enough to be able to discard the used ones more often.

Even though masks are mandated in public places in my state, it is not unusual to see a few people wearing them like a chin diaper in a store or lowering the mask to sneeze and cough or not keeping a six foot distance. COVID-19 cases are out of control in my area and I expect it to get worse during the winter and that masks will be a necessary precaution throughout 2021 if not longer.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:37 PM

13,724 posts, read 12,505,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Respirators are better for breathing as they have the value to evacuate the exhaled air, but inconsiderate for use in Covid situation we have. They do not filter the exhaled air, so while the wearer is protected, others around the wearer are not as the wearer's exhalation is not filtered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I get that, but most people are not doing this. I complained about a Pearl Vision optometrist who did my eye exam 6 inches from me with a respirator and no additional mask. Next time I went she had another mask over it, but not till I complained. I complained last week about a Kohl's cashier for the same reason. I don't know if average people realize exhalations aren't filtered with them. 'CDC says you can put another mask over it" does not mean most people do, in fact I think it's very, very few who put an additional mask over them. It makes me angry every time I see someone walking around with one of these.
I dunno...the whole point is that you stop aersolizing spittle. Which I think that even with the valve these masks would do fine, for a cashier at Kohls.

I'd be irritated about the optometrist thouhg.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:50 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,943,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
KN95 is an equivalent/close Chinese specification. So, a genuine KN95 mask is very close to N95 mask.
This is supported by ECRI testing data

https://assets.ecri.org/PDF/COVID-19...ting-Alert.pdf

After reading this report, we searched and found Dasheng DTC3X N95 with headband design at Lowes: 5 pack for $19.98

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dasheng-5-P...tor/1002826938

It took a bit of adjustment to get this mask to fit snugly and comfortably as our 3M N95 masks.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
It's good to see that 3M and other American manufacturers are dramatically increasing production of respirator masks and these are becoming more readily available online at reasonable prices. I have been carefully reusing my limited supply of N95 valveless masks for months wearing a cloth or disposable mask over them to keep the respirator clean. I have used up half my supply and am probably using them longer than I should. After wearing an N95, I do not feel safe with a surgical or cloth mask while indoors and yesterday ordered more respirators from a medical supply place - enough to be able to discard the used ones more often.
My spouse has been nursing one N95 along since May. I don't know how he does it. I thought these masks were only good for 8 hours use.

Quote:
Even though masks are mandated in public places in my state, it is not unusual to see a few people wearing them like a chin diaper in a store or lowering the mask to sneeze and cough or not keeping a six foot distance. COVID-19 cases are out of control in my area and I expect it to get worse during the winter and that masks will be a necessary precaution throughout 2021 if not longer.
Looks like Arizona is right behind you in the "out of control" category.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
This is supported by ECRI testing data

https://assets.ecri.org/PDF/COVID-19...ting-Alert.pdf

After reading this report, we searched and found Dasheng DTC3X N95 with headband design at Lowes: 5 pack for $19.98

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dasheng-5-P...tor/1002826938

It took a bit of adjustment to get this mask to fit snugly and comfortably as our 3M N95 masks.
Is it possible to clean and reuse them? Seems like a lot of money if you can only wear them once

Old 10-30-2020, 01:23 PM

22,110 posts, read 13,129,541 times
I'm not understanding why there should be a shortage, after all this time, of EFFECTIVE N95 masks. We know they (alone) work to block the viral particles, and we're certainly capable of manufacturing and distributing them in sufficient numbers. Theoretically, if everyone wore one, the virus would have nowhere to go and would die out. I can only think the lack of urgency is due to it becoming apparent that it's not that lethal an illness for the large majority (99% survival rate). As for me, I have a couple of N95s that I use when I'm actually worried, such as when I'll be with others in an enclosed area for a long period of time, and also paper surgical masks that I wear when I just need to comply with the request. I also bought a box of the Lowe's version to keep on hand in case it worsens.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not understanding why there should be a shortage, after all this time, of EFFECTIVE N95 masks. We know they (alone) work to block the viral particles, and we're certainly capable of manufacturing and distributing them in sufficient numbers. Theoretically, if everyone wore one, the virus would have nowhere to go and would die out. I can only think the lack of urgency is due to it becoming apparent that it's not that lethal an illness for the large majority (99% survival rate). As for me, I have a couple of N95s that I use when I'm actually worried, such as when I'll be with others in an enclosed area for a long period of time, and also paper surgical masks that I wear when I just need to comply with the request. I also bought a box of the Lowe's version to keep on hand in case it worsens.
I think it’s more due to they simply can’t produce more than they’re already producing and people are still buying them up. Same thing for alcohol and Lysol. If Lysol was able to make enough to meet the demand don’t you think they would be doing that by now? Yet you still can’t get it anywhere. I think the really good masks are almost exclusively going to hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement