Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 06:49 AM

4,307 posts, read 5,983,908 times

Advertisements

The linked page below provides definition of what constitutes N95, N99, and N99 masks.

The N stands for Non-oil use. There are masks designed for short term exposure to oily mists, and others designed for full time exposure to oily mists. These use a different alphabet letter.

The digits indicate 95% efficacy, 99% efficacy, or 99.7% efficacy at filtering particles of 0.3 micron size.

Any mask with a supplemental valve (the little plastic box on front of mask) filters on INHALATION ONLY!

A N95 mask without a supplemental valve will filter on both inhale and exhale.

Fabric masks with interior pockets designed to contain a sheet of N95 rated filtration media will also filter to 95% efficacy, IF the media is present and installed correctly!

https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/news...asks-explained
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 07:59 AM

3,139 posts, read 5,104,622 times
This is an easy fix. We put a vinyl tape over the interior and exterior of the valve. They are still very easy to breath through and the air is filtered both directions. These fit much tighter to the face than the surgical style or cloth masks so probably protect both parties better when the valve is taped shut.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:03 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,270,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think it's kind of inconsiderate to make this accusation without having read the OP, where I addressed that exact issue with the exhalation valve and what the CDC suggests one do about it.

Geez, shoot-from-the-artificial-hip old people...
You must be speaking about yourself. You post a link with respirators that would function exactly as I described. I do not attack you personally in any way (accusations where?) and instead correctly highlight how they function. Yes - you have a CYA on putting the "cheap" mask on top - but the number of people who would do that could be counted on fingers. People wearing respirators (of course, without a second "cheap" mask on top) are putting a "cheap" price on the possible health impact on others.

But, you need to lash out at simple statement of facts.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,862,041 times
People should social distance and avoid people who are not wearing masks. No need for N100 mask. You're not working in a hospital. You also would need a face guard and ear muff to prevent the germ cloud that exist around an infected person if you are working with them. Otherwise there's no need for hospital grade stuff.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
OC's post brings up an important issue. Many masks look like an N95 mask and they often have names that are very similar, such as KN95. These are knock offs that may not be suitable for even protecting the user.
Not necessarily correct. They could be counterfeit (as can a N95 mask be counterfeit) but KN95 is an equivalent/close Chinese specification. So, a genuine KN95 mask is very close to N95 mask. The comparison chart in the link below lists the various standards.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...nd-kn95-masks/

According to mask manufacturer 3M, “it is reasonable to consider” China’s KN95s “equivalent” to US N95s. Mask standards for Europe (FFP2), Australia (P2), Korea (KMOEL), and Japan (DS) are also highly similar.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:10 AM

22,132 posts, read 13,297,902 times
Also... Any supposed N95 with ear loops rather than tight-fitting elastic headbands is a counterfeit.

Last edited by otterhere; 10-30-2020 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-30-2020, 10:19 AM

42,832 posts, read 26,573,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People should social distance and avoid people who are not wearing masks. No need for N100 mask. You're not working in a hospital. You also would need a face guard and ear muff to prevent the germ cloud that exist around an infected person if you are working with them. Otherwise there's no need for hospital grade stuff.
I agree, I have some N95's that I wear when I have to be in close proximity to people but for the most part I use disposable surgical masks. I think overlooked in a lot of these discussions is the importance of eye protection. I don't wear goggles but I do wear glasses whenever I'm in a situation where I need to wear a mask. https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...avoid-covid-19

Old 10-30-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, I have some N95's that I wear when I have to be in close proximity to people but for the most part I use disposable surgical masks. I think overlooked in a lot of these discussions is the importance of eye protection. I don't wear goggles but I do wear glasses whenever I'm in a situation where I need to wear a mask. https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...avoid-covid-19
Interesting. This is also how I deal with it. I have now acquired goggles as well, though am somewhat hesitant to use it as I look like a space cadet wearing it. But, we are the highest infection level locally - with 20% test positive rates and hospitals at the verge of introducing emergency standard of care (aka age preference in admission, expedited exit of older patients with poorer survival chances from ICU), etc.

So, I might need to get over the reluctance to wear goggles. I will definitely look like fluffythewondercat's spiteful caricature of myself - though I might send her picture of myself from the Everest base camp next year (was planning for this year but had to postpone due to Covid), artificial hips and all

Old 10-30-2020, 11:13 AM

51,471 posts, read 37,142,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I wore the blue surgical kind most of the summer. However my fiancé lit his lighter last week and asked me to see if I could blow the flame out through the mask, and I could. With the two layer cloth mask with a piece of shop towels in it, I could not blow out the flame. So now I’m going back to those.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:24 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,092,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You must be speaking about yourself. You post a link with respirators that would function exactly as I described. I do not attack you personally in any way (accusations where?) and instead correctly highlight how they function. Yes - you have a CYA on putting the "cheap" mask on top - but the number of people who would do that could be counted on fingers. People wearing respirators (of course, without a second "cheap" mask on top) are putting a "cheap" price on the possible health impact on others.

But, you need to lash out at simple statement of facts.
And I quote:

It also has an exhalation valve but the CDC says you can wear one of those cheap procedure masks or a cloth covering over the valve.

Some people just can't admit when they're wrong, I guess. Even when the proof is right in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement