Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 05:25 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
It is just a question if government sends check to every adult. Now it seems the answer is NO.
The answer is ... nobody knows yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 05:26 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,181,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
1) So why would they qualify?
2) If you already know they wouldn't qualify for the intended purpose, why would you ask about seeing if they could get it?

Because if other people get financial assistance they do qualify for, you what them to get in on it too, even if they don't?
I think the thread title is misleading. My intent is asking the question if government sends check to every adult. I use the wrong word "qualify". If it is every adult, how to not miss the check? Do they have to file tax return first? That is also I asked how it worked in 2001/2008.

NOW it seems the answer is NO, only some adults (subset).

Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
I think the thread title is misleading. My intent is asking the question if government sends check to every adult. I use the wrong word "qualify". If it is every adult, how to not miss the check? Do they have to file tax return first? That is also I asked how it worked in 2001/2008.

The correct answer is "nobody knows" because nothing has been finalized or announced. Just wait another day or so and you'll have all the information you need.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:31 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
No, not every adult will get the money. It was stated in the news conference where this was announced that the details are still being worked out. It was also stated as an example that if you earn $1,000,000 a year, you won't be getting the check because you certainly don't need a $1,000 to help you get through this. That was an example, so the pay out will be income related.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, not every adult will get the money. It was stated in the news conference where this was announced that the details are still being worked out. It was also stated as an example that if you earn $1,000,000 a year, you won't be getting the check because you certainly don't need a $1,000 to help you get through this. That was an example, so the pay out will be income related.
Don't give the example of making one million a year, that does not apply to most americans.

It is true that it is not finalized.
Attached Thumbnails
Can retiree get 00 check due to coronavirus?-all.jpg  

Old 03-18-2020, 05:36 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:

My non working daughter is following this. She thinks they'll send to everyone which I doubt. I doubt she will qualify, she should be on temporary disability because she had to stop working in December.

It will probably only go to people not working right now due to corona virus.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:39 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Don't give the example of making one million a year, that does not apply to most americans.

It is true that it is not finalized.
The example of $1,000,000 income per year would not qualify is not my number. It's the number given at the news conference as an example of someone who will not qualify.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The example of $1,000,000 income per year would not qualify is not my number. It's the number given at the news conference as an example of someone who will not qualify.
What I am saying is: it makes no point to mention people earning one million per year, just very small percent of population. $300,000 per year is the cutoff for the top 1% already, so how many people can make more than one million per year? Maybe 0.2%? Even if every one of them gets $1000 check, there is small amount of money comparing to whole stimulus package.

I know they said it at news conference, probably they just show people that rich people don't get check. For rich people, they don't care about $1000. Government actually always take care of rich people, by other means, like tax loophole.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:30 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My non working daughter is following this. She thinks they'll send to everyone which I doubt. I doubt she will qualify, she should be on temporary disability because she had to stop working in December.

It will probably only go to people not working right now due to corona virus.
I can say with 100% certainty that it won't be that limited. The main purpose of the handout is not to help people (although the politicians won't come right out and say that), but to help keep the economy afloat by giving people money to spend.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:31 AM

30,540 posts, read 16,231,137 times
Quote:
What I am saying is: it makes no point to mention people earning one million per year, just very small percent of population. $300,000 per year is the cutoff for the top 1% already, so how many people can make more than one million per year? Maybe 0.2%? Even if every one of them gets $1000 check, there is small amount of money comparing to whole stimulus package.

I know they said it at news conference, probably they just show people that rich people don't get check. For rich people, they don't care about $1000. Government actually always take care of rich people, by other means, like tax loophole.

The point they were making, or trying to, is that people that make a lot of money won't get the $1,000.

it's a just an abstract figure and really not worth getting all bent out of shape over.

We can guess all we want. We can say who we think should or should not get it. If anyone really does.
Bottom line is we just have to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement