Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 08:56 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times

Advertisements

I am 73 in reasonably good health except for HBP, take meds for that. Husband is 72, has COPD, neuropathy, was a polio kid in the 50's, has many meds.....these days I get the groceries and meds by myself....he wants to come along but an old guy in a store scooter wearing oxygen is not very safe now.
Went to Walmart today, many shelves empty or almost empty, but no one was wearing a mask (yet) We don't even have masks. Hopefully I won't need to go back for awhile. Yes, I am concerned about the coronavirus, more for my husband than myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 09:25 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Even for those who distrust the CDC, it's something to think about.

The article is from CNN, with links to the CDC web page.

"The CDC guidance comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds, such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters or concerts, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...us/ar-BB10QLvV

Sit in front of the CD Retirement forum 16 hours a day and you'll probably be safe.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:50 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
We are both 71. Went out for slice of pizza lunch time. Mostly because needed cat litter at Dollar Tree in same shopping center. They were almost out of litter, but actually still had TOILET PAPER! lol Bought some just for good measure.

Our development (not 55+) cancelled their St. Patrick's Dinner. We went to our local VFW for dinner instead. Except for bartender and kitchen staff, nobody there UNDER 60. The Dining Room was setting up for a Private Party. Guests did look young and had a little girl there. V's St. Pat's Buffet is still on. We made our reservations.

V's Pool team is playing tomorrow night against a local bar team. Husband is playing in that, Should these VFW's be closed to keep the elderly Vets in their homes?

One man at the bar yesterday said, "I volunteered and fought in the jungles of Vietnam". Another said, "I survived in Iraq". Coronavirus? Stay home? Both said, "I am not afraid of dying".

Arrogant old people? Sorry, Suzy Q, it is not just ME. You will know what I mean.

Edit: Husband's Neurologist would not renew his script for his Parkinson's med without seeing him. Dr. called in the script to CVS. He went out, again, to pick them up. He also went to a Podiatrist because his toes were black and blue and bleeding. Dr. put some kind of purple stuff on them and gave him a device to separate his two toes. Can THAT be done remotely?

Old 03-15-2020, 08:02 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Your description of how people are failing to heed warnings is a HUGE part of the problem. We need to slow down the spread of the virus. The fewer people out and about, the fewer people to share and receive infection. If people do not wake up and voluntarily alter their behavior, we may see mandatory quarantines like they had to institute in Italy. If our hospitals get overwhelmed, more people will die. Why are some choosing to act like damn fools about it? If they don't care about their own lives, they should think of those around them. I have posted it before, but it bears repeating: let brains, not bravado, be your guide

Old 03-15-2020, 08:28 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
I did venture out early this morning and went down to the beach for a walk. There's plenty of room to keep a distance from others. I did notice a change from previous walks. People are just waving hello at each other and they keep walking rather than stop and talk. I did the same to the few regulars I've been seeing on my walks.

I was pretty glad to see that some folks around me are making the effort to stay apart. This area is mostly over 60 retired folks and we don't have any cases here yet.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:32 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Your description of how people are failing to heed warnings is a HUGE part of the problem. We need to slow down the spread of the virus. The fewer people out and about, the fewer people to share and receive infection. If people do not wake up and voluntarily alter their behavior, we may see mandatory quarantines like they had to institute in Italy. If our hospitals get overwhelmed, more people will die. Why are some choosing to act like damn fools about it? If they don't care about their own lives, they should think of those around them. I have posted it before, but it bears repeating: let brains, not bravado, be your guide
And don’t judge people if they cough or sneeze! There are many people, all ages, with severe allergies. The hysteria among fellow citizens is off the wall! Many of us are afraid what would happen if we enter the grocery store and sneeze because we are allergic to the increased use of disinfectants etc. Fellow citizens cant be trusted.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:08 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
We live in Cook County close to the loop in Chicago. So far all of the cases that have been tested and reported are in Cook County except for one. There is a case in the town next to us and another hospitalized close by. We are following CDC guidelines and staying out of large gatherings. I have only a week left of my statin and I will have to go get it soon. We drove an hour into the sticks to a grocery store for some essentials yesterday. I had gloves on and 90 alcohol for sanitizing my hands after. John stayed in the car. This is our new norm for awhile.

I think Chicago will get hit hard, especially if people don't follow the CDC guidelines.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:34 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
Some of my grocery stores allow me to check out my own stuff, don't even need to deal w/ a cashier.
Yeah, but ya can't buy booze at the self-checkouts.....major drawback......

Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
You have to get companies on board as well.

My job could be done 100% from home. We might be working from home in the future, but the company is very averse to it. Until then, we’re a few dozen people crammed into cubes in an office suite. Given where I work, I think it’s a grossly irresponsible example to set. Tennessee hasn’t closed schools, and the local TN school systems are operating normally. Much of our labor force is older as it is with many over 60. You’d think management would be more understanding.

Sure, we only have one confirmed local case, but now is the time to get ahead of it - not when we have significant community spread.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:55 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Lots of cancellations here too. Next state (NH) closed schools, no word from VT yet. Local senior center shut down everything except the lunches and Meals on Wheels. I anticipate there will be major changes at the food shelf where I volunteer. At least I hope so. That is my main source of exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement