Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 10:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,616,292 times

Advertisements

I just realized this afternoon that the foremost item on my "to do" list for next week was to find & set an appointment for a new primary care physician, my old one closed his practice. I haven't had a PCP for over a year... bad timing on my part, who knows if they are being bombarded here (State of Emergency as of today) or if the waiting room is a viral soup.

But I'm still going to try & set something up since a month from now will probably be worse Covid-19wise & I could use some preventive meds that will run out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 10:49 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,785,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
LOL, I just got a trim on Tuesday. The gal who always cuts my hair just came back from 3 months off to have a baby, so I was already pretty shaggy. I did have her cut it shorter than usual. She was very conscientious about using sanitizer though, because after all she has an infant at home who cannot be given the usual meds for a respiratory infection quite yet. The baby actually contracted RSV (respiratory synctical virus) at the hospital where she gave birth!

Btw, I always bring my own "cape" for haircuts anyway, because I'm allergic to whatever they launder theirs with. So that's one less surface vector.

Stores here are completely sold out of paper towels, toilet paper, alcohol, canned goods, and pasta. It's insane.
I never thought of bringing my own cape! What a good idea. There's always a scent on the darn things that drives me crazy. I wash my hair before I go as I can't tolerate any of the professional products - allergies, again. My hairdresser is only four miles away so I sneak down there damp and he just re-wets it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 03-12-2020, 11:52 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,521,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Lucky me, this is the year I have to actually go to the DMV to get my drivers license renewed. I'm not looking forward to sitting in that crowded room. No social distancing there.
I think they are going to have to give people extensions (just a hunch).

Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I just realized this afternoon that the foremost item on my "to do" list for next week was to find & set an appointment for a new primary care physician, my old one closed his practice. I haven't had a PCP for over a year... bad timing on my part, who knows if they are being bombarded here (State of Emergency as of today) or if the waiting room is a viral soup.

But I'm still going to try & set something up since a month from now will probably be worse Covid-19wise & I could use some preventive meds that will run out soon.
I have been lax about looking for a new allergist. Since it's spring, I figured I was out of luck. But I found one today who would accept a new patient. The wait is only three weeks. Could be worse. Mostly I just need a new prescription for ProAir (albuterol). I have enough to tide me over until April.

So yeah, do call around and get that PCP. You may be surprised. S/he may have lots of cancellations.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:07 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
For anyone so inclined, Plushcare.com which has video doctor appointments every 15 minutes all day and all evening offers doctors who will give refills for your prescriptions by electronically sending prescriptions and refills to your pharmacy, eliminating the trouble, any annoyance, and sometimes time wasted of physically going to a doctor's office in person. Cost is flat fee $99 for first appointment. And $49 for appointments in future, if one wants to pay $9 per month for a subscription to the service. Plushcare.com does take some insurance. It doesn't happen to take mine, but I don't mind.

(the cost of my medication is covered by my Part D Prescription drug coverage, but the $99 or $49 for doctor visit is not covered by my insurance)

I know some or many may have objections to this type of service. I found it works well for me.

https://plushcare.com

For the video appointment, it does say by smartphone on front page, but actually one can use the Plushcare app and an iPad, and can also use a computer and their website, if your computer has a camera.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-13-2020 at 12:41 AM..

Old 03-13-2020, 02:20 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think they are going to have to give people extensions (just a hunch).
Heh. Seeing the above right after a discussion of hairdressers made me think of hair extensions! Really.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:47 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times
I have a friend that's in his 70's that told me he wares rubber glove's when goes out shopping in store's.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:54 AM

5,456 posts, read 4,065,869 times
I noticed that at least half the notices on my local list serv today were cancellations (of social events). I think that's the right thing to do. I was kind of perturbed when I got an email from the local theater that they weren't going to cancel, but I guess calmer heads prevailed, because now the show IS cancelled.

I'm driving a friend to an appointment this morning, normally I would do some shopping in my free time but aside from a couple of necessities, not really feeling like retail therapy. No, not toilet paper, I have about a 4 month supply of that right now (2 12 packs).

Old 03-13-2020, 06:59 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,616,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
I have a friend that's in his 70's that told me he wares rubber glove's when goes out shopping in store's.
I was using my canvas shopping bag as a prophylactic cover for my shopping cart handle yesterday. But then for check out I had to press fingers on the cashier touchscreen anyway & later had to grab the doorknobs on my multi-unit apt building to get in. Also had to go to a bank ATM with their well used screens too, same deal.

I do have some alcohol based wipes though, not many.

Tonight I have plans to spend the weekend with a budding relationship that I haven't seen in over a month ( I was in Europe until last Friday). This entails riding on the NYC subway to Grand Central Station(!) & at rush hour(!) taking a commuter train to a town that borders the one closed off by the National Guard last week for having the largest known cluster on the east coast... sigh.

I found my package of latex gloves & plan to wear them for the transit segments. Weird times....

Old 03-13-2020, 07:03 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Most gatherings have been cancelled in my area from an abundance of caution. The next county's public health department asked that all events be cancelled for a month.

I did go to Target today and didn't die. Getting canned soup in case I need to stay home with some symptoms. I am at mild risk beyond the average, being 67 and having the very beginning of Type 2 diabetes.
The same is happening here.

I had been looking forward to baseball season, and was going to take a week off in April as I haven't had much time off lately and have only seen one MLB game in person since 2016. That's delayed at least two weeks and the regional MILB teams are also going to be delayed.

I had been thinking of doing a 4-5 trip to the DC area, but that's postponed indefinitely. Even if you DO go somewhere, a lot of events and such are canceled indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement