Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 12:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,398,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am glad to see they finally got specific. Too many people can't seem to reason it out for themselves. Some might think they HAVE to go to religious services because they always do. But they can pray at home or watch one of the many TV services that air on Sunday mornings.
Problem is far too many people believe they will go to hell if they skip services, and many churches are flouting the guidelines and remaining open for services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 12:50 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,987,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you have lung disease, I think you should hunker down. As you know, you have vulnerability.

One thing I have gleaned from hours of listening to people trying to manage this disease, and from articles I’ve read, is that our personal decisions and resolve could affect our health or the health of others.

I think your decision not to make your appointment is wise.
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion.

This is the article that cinched it for me. I think it's free to read without being a WSJ subscriber. This 48 year old man had asthma but was otherwise healthy.

Marc Thibault was groggy and surrounded by beeping machines, but he was alert enough to know what it meant when he looked up and saw a priest, wearing protective gear, by his bedside at the Miriam Hospital in Rhode Island.

“Holy cow,” he thought to himself. “I’m 48 years old and I’m getting my last rites.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...th-11583866316

Mr. Thibault was one of 38 people on a nine day trip to Europe in mid-February. They spent just two days in Italy, but that was where he and others were exposed to coronavirus. While the group was there, Italy was starting to quarantine towns.

In the article, Mr. Thibault says the nurses suctioned "saliva" out of his lungs. I think that's incorrect. I think it was the fluid produced when the entire lung was infected and inflamed. It's the fluid that eliminates your ability to breathe.

He's lucky to be alive and he knows it.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:12 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Problem is far too many people believe they will go to hell if they skip services, and many churches are flouting the guidelines and remaining open for services.
Not the Catholics. All over Catholics are being told it's ok to skip mass.

https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...emic-escalates
U.S. dioceses suspend Masses and close churches as coronavirus pandemic escalates

Old 03-14-2020, 01:33 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
I just went to check on a friend who is on oxygen and has had collapsed lungs multiple times from COPD. He's a hermit type guy who doesn't answer his phone, etc. I know he has friends to check on him, but figured I should, too. He's about 55 and says, "My lungs are made of glass."
He wasn't home. Neighbor said he goes out for a couple of hours every morning, likely to buy that day's groceries and socialize a little. The town where he shops has a lot of visitors and international travelers, skiers, rock climbers, etc. I decided to stop going to the gym there (not that I was so dedicated) because those athletic people are usually there and it's a little too close for my comfort.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:41 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,491,793 times
I visited a new doctor who specializes in elder care. At 72, I don’t feel “elder” but this a popular clinic as we have many transplant retirees here. I wanted to be able to access that type of specialized care as I age. She applied the stethoscope in more places than usual and pronounced my lungs and heart in great shape.

Today, I had to pick up a prescription for me and one of our pups. I should have known that even early on a a Saturday morning, the store would be busy. I went to buy fresh produce, soy/nut milk, bread, sliced deli meats, cheeses, etc. No tp, sanitizer, dried beans, as we are well stocked. Those shelves were empty anyway.

Our plan is to not venture into town for the next several weeks. No doctor appointments, vet visits, concerts, etc. on our calendar. I can socialize via social media. Meanwhile, I have a vegetable garden to plant, 11 arborvitaes to plant (to hide ugly septic mound), spring garden cleanup chores to accomplish and, of course, housework. I am also an illustrator and can do that at home. I belong to an urban sketcher group and we will be doing this at home then submitting to our FB group.

In 4 weeks, we are departing to explore several states in our truck camper for 5 weeks. Northern Nevada sounds good.

Be safe and stay healthy everyone!

Old 03-14-2020, 02:49 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times
I have been in Wisconsin this week (flew home to Denver this morning). Very few masks in sight at the airport, Wisconsin restaurants seemed as busy as usual, and we went out for all meals. We are going out tonight, too, but then it will be no more restaurants for us until after the virus has reached its peak. My husband works in a small office and will continue working until we move this summer, but I have also decided to terminate my part-time retail "hobby" job, and I will give my two week-notice on Monday. (Sigh.)

The only other "strategy" we will have (besides more frequent hand washing) is that we will do our grocery shopping as soon as our grocery store opens on Sunday mornings (not as busy).

Old 03-14-2020, 03:24 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Lucky me, this is the year I have to actually go to the DMV to get my drivers license renewed. I'm not looking forward to sitting in that crowded room. No social distancing there.
Not the same thing, but I had to get the decal for my car tag yesterday. They were having people wait outside the building and letting them in to go to the tag office one at a time. Inside, the staff wore gloves and stood well back from the counter. The clerk took my tag information, went in a back office, came out a few minutes later, and swapped my decal for a check. It really minimized the contact. Your DMV should be doing something similar. It helped that the weather here was fine - warm and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
For anyone so inclined, Plushcare.com which has video doctor appointments every 15 minutes all day and all evening offers doctors who will give refills for your prescriptions by electronically sending prescriptions and refills to your pharmacy, eliminating the trouble, any annoyance, and sometimes time wasted of physically going to a doctor's office in person. Cost is flat fee $99 for first appointment. And $49 for appointments in future, if one wants to pay $9 per month for a subscription to the service. Plushcare.com does take some insurance. It doesn't happen to take mine, but I don't mind.

(the cost of my medication is covered by my Part D Prescription drug coverage, but the $99 or $49 for doctor visit is not covered by my insurance)

I know some or many may have objections to this type of service. I found it works well for me.

https://plushcare.com

For the video appointment, it does say by smartphone on front page, but actually one can use the Plushcare app and an iPad, and can also use a computer and their website, if your computer has a camera.
Regulations for using telemedicine will be relaxed for Medicare patients. Anyone who is interested, such as those who need to get meds renewed, should check and see if his provider is willing to do a video visit. Medicare can be billed, and deductibles and copayments will apply.

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-r...virus-outbreak

Old 03-14-2020, 03:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Regulations for using telemedicine will be relaxed for Medicare patients. Anyone who is interested, such as those who need to get meds renewed, should check and see if his provider is willing to do a video visit. Medicare can be billed, and deductibles and copayments will apply.

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-r...virus-outbreak
Plushcare.com does not take Medicare, but I found it is good option for getting prescriptions and refills of prescriptions. They have video doctor appointments every 15 minutes all day and all evening.

https://plushcare.com

Although it says 'for smartphones' on the first page of Plushcare.com, one can also use Plushcare app and an iPad for the video appointment, or use one's computer and the Plushcare.com website for the video appointment.

https://www.doctorondemand.com also has many advantages, but does not usually (or often does not) give refills on prescriptions one already has.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:20 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,309,713 times
Well if you're old you may be treated like a pariah anyway so staying home even if you're not sick will probably be a blessing. Someone in another thread is already suggesting staying away from old people to avoid the virus. What's next?

Old 03-14-2020, 08:51 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,231,869 times
Cheer up! That is not everywhere! There are volunteer groups forming - one in our condo building, another in the nearby neighborhood to do grocery shopping and medicine pick up for any high-risk people. I volunteered for the one starting in our condo building and have asked older friends as well whether we can help. I see people coming together and trying to help anyone needing help. So, I suspect those treating the older people as pariah are not a majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement