Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times

Advertisements

This started on the Automotive forum. Someone posted about parallel parking. Few do it nowadays. Also driving a stickshift. Both were almost critical for drivers in the 1950's but not so today. Someone mentioned ironing. I would add tying a tie: fewer men need to wear one, and when they do, use a clip-on. I would try to avoid "hobby" skills like Morse Code. What can you do that almost nobody can today, but was useful when you're younger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 06:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Well, I can sharpen a good knife till it's shaving sharp, tie all sorts of knots, seems like "kids anymore" have little interest in these skills. I can still tie a necktie, certainly if you intend to do any business in Russia and East Europe, you still need to be able to do that.

I don't consider driving a stick shift to be an obsolete skill. Or parallel parking. You are not a complete driver if you can't do these. Not all that hard to do either.

Semi-obsolete skills include synching multiple carburetors, adjusting old points type distributors and setting timing, adjusting solid lifter valve clearance, probably others I can't think of off the top of my head. Since I still have those old bikes, cars, trucks, and tractor, these skills are still useful to me, but probably not to many people anymore.

Not many kids anymore know anything about hand-loading centerfire ammunition, or any aspect of precision shooting (unless they are military or police snipers). The few kids that shoot seem to favor cheap milsurp ammo and seem to figure making noise, rather than hitting a small target quickly, is what it's all about.

What about casting a fly rod? I don't know if the kids fly-fish or not.

Celestial navigation. I am not an expert, but I can find the pole star and figure out which way is north at night, if the sky is reasonably clear.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:27 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
I can write cursive and can read an analog clock

Old 02-19-2020, 06:37 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Things that seems to be obsolete:
Cooking from scratch, knowing the source of your food, being able to name fruits, veggies, cuts of meat, ironing, hand washing delicate laundry, sewing, simple car or household repairs, cursive writing, phone manners, communication skills, knowing proper etiquette, showing manners, being kind and caring, knowing languages, having a hobby, doing math in head, having basic survival skills, knowing how to survive without the gadgets...
HAVING A COMMON SENSE....

Old 02-19-2020, 06:43 PM

538 posts, read 538,723 times
Obsolete skills - off the top of my head:
anything to do with mental math, hell, any type of math
map reading
spelling
communication (face to face)
fact checking
grammar
manners
thank you notes
attention spans
“uni-tasking” - concentrating on one thing at a time

Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 PM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
In addition to many listed above e.g. read an analog clock, cursive writing, read a map etc. I can cook without a microwave oven. I have never owned one

Old 02-19-2020, 06:50 PM

344 posts, read 416,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't consider driving a stick shift to be an obsolete skill.
Just a couple of weeks ago I took my car for minor servicing. After I explained the problem to the service manager he assigned to a technician. The technician, maybe in his mid 20s, went to pull it into the service bay. When he figured out it was a manual transmission he had to get the service manager, maybe around 60 yo, to pull the car in! It was a tire shop. Nothing like that ever happened before anywhere. The oil change people never have a problem. I almost consider the manual transmission to be an extra theft deterrent. Love driving them and wish they were available in more cars.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Shorthand comes to mind.

It's truly obsolete rather than just unusual. Both my (millennial) children can drive a stick, write a thank-you note, change a tire, utilize good manners etc.

ETA - writing a check.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
So far I would disagree with almost everything listed above. Most of those skills are still very relevant and useful.

Unfortunately we can start with tying a tie. Ties are still in use for a great many jobs and dressier occasions. Since the age of about 15, I cannot think of anyone who used a clip on tie.

There are still an unfortunately number of places which require parallel parking, especially in NYC or most other dense urban areas.

Most of us still benefit from being able to do math, or write, or communicate or deal with people directly.

Fixing your own car is indeed pretty much a thing of the past. Although with a $700 fee to change oil and fuel filters on my diesel pickup truck, I think I will be doing some learning and DIY.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Just a couple of weeks ago I took my car for minor servicing. After I explained the problem to the service manager he assigned to a technician. The technician, maybe in his mid 20s, went to pull it into the service bay. When he figured out it was a manual transmission he had to get the service manager, maybe around 60 yo, to pull the car in! It was a tire shop. Nothing like that ever happened before anywhere. The oil change people never have a problem. I almost consider the manual transmission to be an extra theft deterrent. Love driving them and wish they were available in more cars.
Too funny, lollol. A few months back someone did not get car jacked in the Nashville, TN area because the punk trying to steal the car did not know how to drive standard shift, lollol LoL.

My car has a clutch, both pickup trucks have clutches. Our old farm tractor has a clutch but it’s not a double clutcher.

Annnnd, if there was money on it, I’m pretty sure I can still parallel park my four horse stock trailer, as long as it’s hooked up to my 3/4 ton and not DH’s one ton dually.

As a vent, I think it’s idiotic we can’t get anything with a clutch anymore — not even an F-450

We have certainly dumbed ourselves down—————
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement