Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 09:13 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,892 times

Advertisements

Changing a flat tire, changing the spark plugs, changing the oil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 09:13 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Count back change to a customer.
Someone did that for me the other day, naturally she was as old as me.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:16 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't remember the last time I wrote a paper check. I've received a few and had to give a cashier's check to the bank to settle up on for an error on my mortgage at closing.

I'd struggle how to use the Dewey Decimal System in a library without having to Google all that.
I don't even know if they teach that any more.
The last 2 schools I worked in (tutor/sub) the library was sectioned off by reading level, not the DD system.

I taught my son the DD system when we went to the library. I made a game of it with a prize and all.
Gave him a list of various DD numbers and he went off and found a book from each of them. Then we used those numbers to go and put the books back.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:26 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't even know if they teach that any more.
The last 2 schools I worked in (tutor/sub) the library was sectioned off by reading level, not the DD system.

I taught my son the DD system when we went to the library. I made a game of it with a prize and all.
Gave him a list of various DD numbers and he went off and found a book from each of them. Then we used those numbers to go and put the books back.
Personally, I don't see why cursive writing is taught. I rarely take paper notes anymore. Any sort of note taking is done on my phone or computer. A lot of times I use voice dictation. My handwriting is awful these days.

We're rapidly approaching a point where writing things down on my paper is no longer necessary and inefficient.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:49 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't see why cursive writing is taught. I rarely take paper notes anymore. Any sort of note taking is done on my phone or computer. A lot of times I use voice dictation. My handwriting is awful these days.

We're rapidly approaching a point where writing things down on my paper is no longer necessary and inefficient.
That's why your handwriting is awful. I like the fact that many people your age and younger can no longer or barely read script. It gives me an edge writing notes that nosey people can't read nor understand, especially at work.

BTW I'm pretty sure I can write a note faster than you can type it on your phone.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:55 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
A lot of skills taught in Home Economics classes in high schools in the 1960s are obsolete now in women born in 1980 or later. Sewing is a hard skill to find now. A typical woman under 40 does not sew. I'm a mid-30s guy who has never married. There have been a few times where buttons broke off from pairs of pants. I either at the time didn't have a girlfriend or my girlfriend couldn't sew. My mom had to sew the button back on. My mom is in her mid-60s now and she can't do that much longer.

I still iron clothes to look good.

Most of my girlfriends have had basic cooking skills. I have some as well. I have had friends who have had girlfriends with zero in the way of cooking skills.

Driving a manual transmission is becoming obsolete. A lot of people under 40 never learned.

Parallel parking is still needed in big cities. Some newer cars have parallel parking assist built into them.

I have no kids. I do not know if cursive writing or printing is taught anymore.
There is a resurgence in home sewing, although it is not huge. And, there is no reason why you can’t sew a button on yourself. It is not hard.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
An example that bugs me is people seem to almost never write in complete sentences anymore. I don't know if it's getting to be a lost skill, not paying attention in English class when in school, or just people being lazy like using acronyms constantly assuming everyone knows what they are trying to say.
Many people here do this as well and I've been guilty of it occasionally too so I don't think it's an age thing.
Texting,

Old 02-20-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Cursive is not being taught. Kids graduate from high school having only ever used printing. Of course, like you, they are taking notes via mobile devices.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:06 AM

703 posts, read 613,215 times
Quote:

Reminds me of Isaac Asimov's short story, "A Feeling of Power."

Old 02-20-2020, 10:14 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's why your handwriting is awful. I like the fact that many people your age and younger can no longer or barely read script. It gives me an edge writing notes that nosey people can't read nor understand, especially at work.

BTW I'm pretty sure I can write a note faster than you can type it on your phone.
Cursive is our secret language.

I keep pads/pens/pencils all over the house and jot notes down all the time.
My shopping list is a paper list and in cursive no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement