Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,381,991 times

Advertisements

I have to confess that I have lived quite well having never learned to parallel park. I have not driven a stick in years, and I don't remember how to drive it now.

I don't think people iron any more, although I think I taught my kids how to do it. I don't iron much myself.

Many younger folks do cook. My kids do, for sure. They are old enough to have learned cursive, but they are probably the last batch of kids to have learned how to write that way. Its too bad too.

I can dial a rotary phone. I can tie my shoes. If presented with a percolator, I could make coffee in it, although I wouldn't like it as much as the coffee I make in my drip coffeemaker. In all fairness, my kids can make French press coffee, and I can't do that.

I can pack boxes and mail things.

If I had to, I could use a fountain pen, but I would hate doing it.

I could write a check, but who does that any more?

I can do "hospital corners" when making a bed.

I can sew. If pressed, I could sew a garment. This is something I always think I will do but somehow never do. I can sew a button and do basic mending. I can lift a hem.

I can take a chicken carcass and turn it into chicken broth.

But my kids can do so much more than I with regards to technology. Once I retired, I think I just quit progressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 12:36 AM

7,714 posts, read 5,526,370 times
I write in cursive every day. I don't consider handwriting to be obsolete, though.

I can touch type (maybe 50 WPM). I don't consider that to be an obsolete skill, either.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:10 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,770,972 times
Quote:
What can you do that almost nobody can today, but was useful when you're younger?
say please, thank you, and excuse me..hold the door open for someone..use turn signals..

Old 02-20-2020, 05:11 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,507,885 times
A lot of skills taught in Home Economics classes in high schools in the 1960s are obsolete now in women born in 1980 or later. Sewing is a hard skill to find now. A typical woman under 40 does not sew. I'm a mid-30s guy who has never married. There have been a few times where buttons broke off from pairs of pants. I either at the time didn't have a girlfriend or my girlfriend couldn't sew. My mom had to sew the button back on. My mom is in her mid-60s now and she can't do that much longer.

I still iron clothes to look good.

Most of my girlfriends have had basic cooking skills. I have some as well. I have had friends who have had girlfriends with zero in the way of cooking skills.

Driving a manual transmission is becoming obsolete. A lot of people under 40 never learned.

Parallel parking is still needed in big cities. Some newer cars have parallel parking assist built into them.

I have no kids. I do not know if cursive writing or printing is taught anymore.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:46 AM

89,089 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Shorthand comes to mind.

It's truly obsolete rather than just unusual. Both my (millennial) children can drive a stick, write a thank-you note, change a tire, utilize good manners etc.

ETA - writing a check.
Beat me to it with the shorthand. My secretarial school, now a two-year business college, offered free lifetime brushup courses. I wonder what would happen if I contacted them now and said I wanted a shorthand brushup course!

I can and still do parallel park. Comes in handy in the old-fashioned downtowns with street parking.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
A lot of skills taught in Home Economics classes in high schools in the 1960s are obsolete now in women born in 1980 or later. Sewing is a hard skill to find now. A typical woman under 40 does not sew. I'm a mid-30s guy who has never married. There have been a few times where buttons broke off from pairs of pants. I either at the time didn't have a girlfriend or my girlfriend couldn't sew. My mom had to sew the button back on. My mom is in her mid-60s now and she can't do that much longer.

I still iron clothes to look good.

Most of my girlfriends have had basic cooking skills. I have some as well. I have had friends who have had girlfriends with zero in the way of cooking skills.

Driving a manual transmission is becoming obsolete. A lot of people under 40 never learned.

Parallel parking is still needed in big cities. Some newer cars have parallel parking assist built into them.

I have no kids. I do not know if cursive writing or printing is taught anymore.
Why don't you just sew the buttons on yourself????

Even my undomesticated ex could do that. He learned in the Army.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
say please, thank you, and excuse me..hold the door open for someone..use turn signals..
Yeah, what is up with people not using turn signals anymore? Weird, and dangerous and the epitome of laziness.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:51 AM

17,436 posts, read 11,461,263 times
An example that bugs me is people seem to almost never write in complete sentences anymore. I don't know if it's getting to be a lost skill, not paying attention in English class when in school, or just people being lazy like using acronyms constantly assuming everyone knows what they are trying to say.
Many people here do this as well and I've been guilty of it occasionally too so I don't think it's an age thing.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:18 AM

9,379 posts, read 14,293,214 times
For me it’s developing film and printing photos. Dark rooms , red safelights, enlargers, trays of chemicals. And photos drying on clothes lines in the darkroom.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:44 AM

22,875 posts, read 19,504,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Hand drafting exploded assembly views of complex things. I moved to AutoCAD and other 3D CAD software, but it's still cool to do it by hand and to be able to visualize all that without a computer.
my son did this for a single exercise in high school, it was just incredible, i loved seeing those hand drawings.
I was amazed he could just do them. He loved the hand work. He is a fine artist at heart, though also a mechanical engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement