Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 06:50 PM

352 posts, read 267,033 times

Advertisements

Cable bill was $232 a month including internet. But it did not include any premium movie channels such as HBO. Every year it would go up and every year we had to call and renegotiate our contract. So, we just kept the internet and modem and got rid of the cable. Pay $90 a month for that and already had Netflix and Amazon Prime. Added HULU for $55. I don't miss cable at all. Only thing I miss is The Weather Channel. I love being able to watch what I want on TV whenever I want to. So many more choices and options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 09:06 PM

35,427 posts, read 31,935,559 times
Honestly, I don't think it's much cheaper given the subscription services I have, but I have a wider variety of content.

I split a $50/month YouTube TV subscription with my parents, so $25/month there. I have a $10/month subscription to a professional wrestling VOD service. $18/month for four TVs for 4K Netflix. My parents watch some shows on my Amazon Prime account, but I would buy Prime anyway.

It's marginally cheaper than cable.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,555,070 times
Current cable TV cost: $0.
Previous cable TV cost: $0.
Hours watched per day: 0.

We haven't owned a TV since we decided not to move it across country 15 years ago.

Have not missed it since. No time to watch TV anyway.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 PM

23,173 posts, read 12,460,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's much cheaper given the subscription services I have, but I have a wider variety of content.

I split a $50/month YouTube TV subscription with my parents, so $25/month there. I have a $10/month subscription to a professional wrestling VOD service. $18/month for four TVs for 4K Netflix. My parents watch some shows on my Amazon Prime account, but I would buy Prime anyway.

It's marginally cheaper than cable.

Your cable must have been really cheap if it was only marginally higher than the $53/month in services you listed. I don't many people ranting about the outrageous cost of cable are talking about sub $100 bills. Btw, would you get rid of Netflix and wrestling services if you had cable back?

Old 02-04-2020, 02:47 AM

6,919 posts, read 3,477,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Some of these cable prices are ridiculous!!!

$200??? For real?

I have Directv, several hundred channels, 4 HD receivers, whole home DVR, $76 p/month ALL IN (taxes and everything)
In CA we have similar Direct TV service (4 HD receivers w/ DVR) at $70/mo - tried using antenna, only get HSN. Use Google phone (free) and $90/mo for high speed internet. - $160/mo. Was well over $200 with fewer channels when had cable bundle.

In NV have internet at $50/mo, google phone (free) and use Antenna for local channels (free) and Amazon Fire recast for recording - $50/mo

Also have $2/mo Netflix add on to T-Mobile, Amazon (had prior for shipping), Hulu & Showtime $5/mo through a special deal - streaming - $7/mo

Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,640,211 times
We have 3 places. All three have Amazon 4K FireTV dongles.

My Vermont ski condo has Comcast HD video as part of the condo fee. I use that account to stream content to the other two places. We hardly ever watch the cable feed. The only time I have it on is for Patriots games and English Premier League. At the moment, we’re streaming New Zealand crime mystery using an Amazon/Acorn free trial and will probably pay the $4.99/month for Acorn for a while.

My girlfriend’s semi-urban apartment has Comcast 100 megabit service at a $39.95 intro rate.

My summer house has a “test†cable modem from when I worked for cable modem companies. Until they figure out I’m no longer doing that, I get free internet at 400 megabit/second.

My Vermont place used to have a “test†modem but they shut it down. I’m paying $29.95 intro rate for 100 megabit service. I cancel it for the summer so I always have an intro rate.

So between 3 places and not counting my condo fee for Comcast video, we pay $39.95 plus $29.95 for internet. $120/year for Amazon Prime. A year of free Disney+ because I have unlimited Verizon cellular service. My girlfriend had a Netflix subscription which is about $15. We might add Acorn for a while at $5/month. I paid $6/month a couple of months for CBS All Access to watch Patriots games after using up a couple of months of free trials. That was cancelled when the Patriots lost in the wildcard round.

We won’t continue with Disney+ after the free trial. We don’t use it much. We will probably cancel Netflix. I can stream all the Patriots games. I can stream the Celtics and watch that occasionally. I can’t stream the Red Sox so I stopped watching baseball. The Red Sox own Liverpool so I follow that streaming on NBC Sports. I like watching soccer better than US pro sports because there are no commercials and the games are 2 hours. I might feed NBC $100 next year to stream alternate games and watch replays.

Our big expense is cell phones, not cable and video. With our travel pattern, a discount carrier historically wouldn’t work. I’m reconsidering my Verizon Unlimited plan.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:10 AM

35,427 posts, read 31,935,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your cable must have been really cheap if it was only marginally higher than the $53/month in services you listed. I don't many people ranting about the outrageous cost of cable are talking about sub $100 bills. Btw, would you get rid of Netflix and wrestling services if you had cable back?
I'd be looking at around $85 before taxes for IPTV cable and two set-top boxes. I could probably get by on the expanded basic and one box in the living room.

Cable television service from BTES

I really don't watch that much Netflix. I'll find a show once every month or two and binge watch it. I might binge watch a show for a week, then not use it for a couple of weeks.

The wrestling thing is for what used to be the PPVs and if I get bored and want something in the background. I've probably watched hundreds of hours of content there over the years.

YouTube TV is basically equivalent to the Charter cable I had. A few stations are missing like the History Channel. I still get my local networks, regional sports feeds, etc.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,767,387 times
Has anybody tried one of the Amazon fire sticks with the Kodi program? I hear you can watch anything with one of those for free. They had a similar product for sale at our state fair the last couple years. They wanted $300 or $400 for them, can't remember. I just remember they were several times the price you could get one on eBay for.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 AM

8,006 posts, read 7,375,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Has anybody tried one of the Amazon fire sticks with the Kodi program? I hear you can watch anything with one of those for free. They had a similar product for sale at our state fair the last couple years. They wanted $300 or $400 for them, can't remember. I just remember they were several times the price you could get one on eBay for.
I installed Kodi on a 4K firestick. The Firestick was about $40 from Amazon and the full Kodi build was free. Kodi is glitchy but when everything is working and you can find a good stream you have access to pretty much every movie ever made including current in-theater releases and all TV shows. If you can follow instructions you can install Kodi yourself. Here's the instructions I followed to install. It's a fun project for anyone even slightly geeky.

Kodi is not a substitute for more reliable services like Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc. Some days it works great but often there are issues. It's a fun add-on but not something you want to depend on for all your streaming.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:46 AM

37,942 posts, read 46,648,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Following up on the other thread I thought it will be use to run a poll on the topic.
It is all about cost vs convenience.
So if you cut cable, how much are you spending now compared to your last cable bill?
How many hours of TV do you watch?
True or False: the convenience of the triple bundle is worth the cost.
Where is the poll?

Oh...I thought it was a poll post. Guess not!

I watch maybe 15 min of news in the morning, while I am dressing for work, and maybe 15 min of something on Netflix before I go to bed.
It takes me a while to finish a show lol.

I’ve never had cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement