Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 03:14 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,694,312 times

Advertisements

I have internet and no cable of any kind. I can't imagine paying for TV with everything that is free on the internet. It has been around 10-12 years ago we dropped cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 03:23 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,985,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ this

Just reducing a few services but still paying the ISP isn't cutting anything. Cutting the cable or cord means rabbit ears. If you are paying them for internet they still gotcha.

So, you want cable cutters to not use the internet?

Old 02-03-2020, 03:41 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Default YouTube TV

YouTube TV $50.
You need Internet and either a so-called smart tv or a Roku or similar device.

Very happy with the service. It has unlimited dvr, all my local stations including PBS, and a ton of sports, including The Golf Channel. Works perfectly.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think people keep quiet about their disappointment in what happens after they drop Cable TV subscription - and they keep quiet about the inconvenience, lack of good access, technological problems, loss of ease of access, and loss of a way of viewing after dropping Cable TV.

As an aside, one poster above dropped cable tv and is now planning to resign up.

Agreed. I usually post in this threads about how the viewing experience is different. Seems all the cord cutting advocates want to tell you about WHAT there is to watch but not HOW you watch it. Cable is channel-based viewing and streaming is app-based viewing. That's a fundamental difference that disorients many who have had cable for 20-30 years. And cable offers a turn-key solution with a relatively small handful of tiers and add-ons whereas someone "cutting the cord" is confronted with a million combinations of "solutions".

Old 02-03-2020, 03:49 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,728,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Following up on the other thread I thought it will be use to run a poll on the topic.
It is all about cost vs convenience.
So if you cut cable, how much are you spending now compared to your last cable bill?
How many hours of TV do you watch?
True or False: the convenience of the triple bundle is worth the cost.

Cable - $200 or so. Plus internet which is separate: $45.

Now:

Same internet $45
Hulu+live TV and HBO: $70 and I get all the channels I had with cable except one and the DVR.

Total: $115, so much cheaper.

I had Netflix before and I'm keeping it so that's a wash. Amazon Prime too.

I'm trying out Disney+ $7 but will cancel. And, trying AppleTV+ which I'll likely keep.

Hours? Not sure. I DVR everything I want to watch and then watch later, except for most sporting events.

What is the convenience of the triple bundle? What ~is~ the triple bundle?

Way more convenient to watch shows via Hulu - you can go back and watch all seasons from the beginning.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Cable is channel-based viewing and streaming is app-based viewing. That's a fundamental difference that disorients many who have had cable for 20-30 years..

Actually, Hulu+live is just like having cable, plus you get the bonus of also being able to go back and watch prior seasons.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Actually, Hulu+live is just like having cable, plus you get the bonus of also being able to go back and watch prior seasons.

We have Hulu Live but it is not at all like cable. Takes 10-15 seconds to sign in and start up. And when it's done you're in the Library not Live TV even if you were last watching TV when you turned it off. You can't get the guide until you're actually in a channel. Takes 4-5 seconds for a channel to start playing once you select it, dam that thin white horizontal bar. No direct channel access like cable - where you enter 11 and you're on channel 11 at one end of the guide, enter 335 and you're on channel 335 at other end of the guide. No back button toggle. Instead, you hit the down arrow to pop up the guide and hit the up/down buttons to move one row at a time. Can't even page. Navigating by left/right/up/down buttons takes forever. As for prior seasons, you're confusing the Live part with the Library.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:24 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
YouTube TV $50.
You need Internet and either a so-called smart tv or a Roku or similar device.

Very happy with the service. It has unlimited dvr, all my local stations including PBS, and a ton of sports, including The Golf Channel. Works perfectly.
Me also with YouTube TV. I get it through my Amazon Firestick.

It saves me about $50-75 a month. You can share it with 5 Family members so I have with 3 members I've shared it with. Each one of them saves at least $100-150 a month.

So YouTube TV saves me and my family at least $400+ a month.

And I like what it has to offer.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:59 PM

962 posts, read 614,470 times
Some of these cable prices are ridiculous!!!

$200??? For real?

I have Directv, several hundred channels, 4 HD receivers, whole home DVR, $76 p/month ALL IN (taxes and everything)

Old 02-03-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We have Hulu Live but it is not at all like cable. Takes 10-15 seconds to sign in and start up. And when it's done you're in the Library not Live TV even if you were last watching TV when you turned it off. You can't get the guide until you're actually in a channel. Takes 4-5 seconds for a channel to start playing once you select it, dam that thin white horizontal bar. No direct channel access like cable - where you enter 11 and you're on channel 11 at one end of the guide, enter 335 and you're on channel 335 at other end of the guide. No back button toggle. Instead, you hit the down arrow to pop up the guide and hit the up/down buttons to move one row at a time. Can't even page. Navigating by left/right/up/down buttons takes forever. As for prior seasons, you're confusing the Live part with the Library.

You must have a slow system. It takes me one click to get to live. I like it WAY better than cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement