Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 05:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Some of these cable prices are ridiculous!!!

$200??? For real?

I have Directv, several hundred channels, 4 HD receivers, whole home DVR, $76 p/month ALL IN (taxes and everything)
And your internet (and phone service) costs you what? Both internet and phone service are most often part of the $200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 05:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You must have a slow system. It takes me one click to get to live. I like it WAY better than cable.

One click? What platform? Even with the special mapped button on the remote, what pops up is a Launch or Cancel option with default on cancel, meaning you have to arrow left to get to Lauch then press select to start it. That's three clicks. But I'm not talking about the clicks to start Hulu but all the clicks to navigate once it's up. Slow has nothing to do with number of clicks.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:15 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,692,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We have Hulu Live but it is not at all like cable. Takes 10-15 seconds to sign in and start up. And when it's done you're in the Library not Live TV even if you were last watching TV when you turned it off. You can't get the guide until you're actually in a channel. Takes 4-5 seconds for a channel to start playing once you select it, dam that thin white horizontal bar. No direct channel access like cable - where you enter 11 and you're on channel 11 at one end of the guide, enter 335 and you're on channel 335 at other end of the guide. No back button toggle. Instead, you hit the down arrow to pop up the guide and hit the up/down buttons to move one row at a time. Can't even page. Navigating by left/right/up/down buttons takes forever. As for prior seasons, you're confusing the Live part with the Library.
The extra minute that it takes to watch something is what makes most people I know pay silly high cable bills. Especially those that can't watch the same thing for more than a few minutes.

Personally I would rather spend a few minutes finding something to watch with no or very few commercials than watching all the commercials on regular TV. I still have less time involved over all than watching the same thing on cable TV.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,842,792 times
My main TV-watching rule is : NO commercials! Which means heavy use of the DVR so I can skip them. AT this point, most of the cable-cutting options have limited DVR (channel restrictions, hours of recording restrictions).

Hence I still have DirecTV, but with the last price increase, I am thinking about dropping it all for Amazon Prime and Netflix, which would probably make me happy.

There are a few things I watch (recorded) on DirecTV, but probably not that much.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,054,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Agreed. I usually post in this threads about how the viewing experience is different. Seems all the cord cutting advocates want to tell you about WHAT there is to watch but not HOW you watch it. Cable is channel-based viewing and streaming is app-based viewing. That's a fundamental difference that disorients many who have had cable for 20-30 years.
Exactly. And btw, to those of you who currently pay $50 or less for your internet access: Count your blessings, because odds are good that you won't be paying that little for it much longer.

ISPs are slowly but steadily eliminating the lowest speed (and thus lowest price) tiers of 10 and/or 20 Mbps and making either 100 or 200 Mbps their standard. You won't be able to get any of those for only $50/month, that is for sure.

I watch about 6 or 7 hours of tv per 24 hour period. Obviously in recent weeks I have watched more because of wanting to watch the hearings and trial live, but extended viewing hours are typical for me in POTUS election years because I'm a politics nerd. My usual evening tv watching is roughly 75-80% cable and 3 or four broadcast tv shows when they are running new, and about 20% Netflix but that's in binge spurts only. For example I just began watching the new series 'Night on Earth' but when that's over, I don't currently see anything that I will be watching on Netflix until later this year.

Netflix is an occasional adjunct to my cable/live viewing, not an equal part of it. I connect a long Ethernet cord from my modem to the tv when I want to watch anything on Netflix, so it's very much a "forethought" activity. My tv has built-in apps for Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube. When watching cable/live, I often channel-flip when the commercials come on.

My least expensive option for "entry level" cable (1 box) plus downgrading to the slowest (20 Mbps) internet connection (own modem) is now $140/month. No sports or DVR because I have no interest in either. No VOIP phone, all I need is my cell phone. There is no usable OTA option here.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:30 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,253,064 times
We've had Directv for 10 years now, so that counts as cutting the cord I suppose.

There is no OTA signal where we live.

Question: If you pay your local cable co 80.00/month for Internet service, or whatever, did you really cut the cord?

Old 02-03-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
The extra minute that it takes to watch something is what makes most people I know pay silly high cable bills. Especially those that can't watch the same thing for more than a few minutes.

Personally I would rather spend a few minutes finding something to watch with no or very few commercials than watching all the commercials on regular TV. I still have less time involved over all than watching the same thing on cable TV.

Some people prefer to find things to watch by watching a few seconds of it than by reading a ten word summary of it. But that is not practically with streaming.

Everyone has their preferences. Yours are no better than mine and mine are no better than yours. fwiw, I've cut out cable, I'm just pointing out the differences in the experiences. You'll still have commercials in live TV using Hulu or Youtube.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Question: If you pay your local cable co 80.00/month for Internet service, or whatever, did you really cut the cord?

Technically, no. But you've severed teh connection between your TV viewing and your internet source. You can set yourself up with Roku and Hulu Live and whatever other apps you like, then change your internet from Xfinity to ATT or even cellular data and your TV viewing doesn't change. It needs an internet connection but it doesn't care who provides it. The importance of that is that it makes internet a commodity. T-Mobile is rolling out Home Internet for flat $50 as 5G is developed.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:46 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,064,511 times
So if you cut cable, how much are you spending now compared to your last cable bill?
Zero - I use an indoor OTA. No complaints whatsoever.

How many hours of TV do you watch?
Per day? Approximately 4

True or False: the convenience of the triple bundle is worth the cost.
False in my case since we get 'free' Google Fiber internet and my cell phone cost is $30/mo.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:47 PM

962 posts, read 614,060 times
Good job Katie45.

Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement