Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 06:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times

Advertisements

I don't know what "matured" means, really, but I don't think I have done it.

I am basically the same person as I was when I was 19, except more healed (and more damaged, simultaneously!), and "wiser" (I learned how to do some stuff). But basically, I am not more intelligent, or that much different. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 07:55 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Since you are on the retirement forum, one might suspect you were of retirement age, but, the notion that you haven't changed much since 19, suggests a much younger age (?)

I suppose at 19, I felt "mature" (and, in fact, was on my own by then), but, to imagine I haven't changed much since then would be totally out of touch with reality. When, I look at my 20-year old grandson in college, for example, it's apparent how much 'maturing' and growing-up he has yet to do. But, what else could be expected? He's at the very beginning of his adult life and hasn't even started to live through the maturing processes of a family and children, a career, life's ups and downs and most importantly a growing relationship with God.

The reality of life is that people change, whether they realize it or not. OTOH, I've worked in a number of prison, mission and halfway house ministries with people who seemed like they were stuck in an adolescent 'time warp,' so, I guess maturity is not mandatory.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Since you are on the retirement forum, one might suspect you were of retirement age, but, the notion that you haven't changed much since 19, suggests a much younger age (?)

I suppose at 19, I felt "mature" (and, in fact, was on my own by then), but, to imagine I haven't changed much since then would be totally out of touch with reality. When, I look at my 20-year old grandson in college, for example, it's apparent how much 'maturing' and growing-up he has yet to do. But, what else could be expected? He's at the very beginning of his adult life and hasn't even started to live through the maturing processes of a family and children, a career, life's ups and downs and most importantly a growing relationship with God.

The reality of life is that people change, whether they realize it or not. OTOH, I've worked in a number of prison, mission and halfway house ministries with people who seemed like they were stuck in an adolescent 'time warp,' so, I guess maturity is not mandatory.
Oh, I've changed, for sure - just not sure I've "matured."

I am old - retirement age

Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
If you haven't matured since you were 19, and you're retirement age, either you never quit smoking dope or you're delusional, if not either of these, you've got a major problem with reality !

Old 01-06-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
If you haven't matured since you were 19, and you're retirement age, either you never quit smoking dope or you're delusional, if not either of these, you've got a major problem with reality !
I do tend towards "delusion." I like to call it "dreaming."

But I don't think most people are honest enough to admit any defects, what-so-ever.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:29 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Most of us have.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Having read a great many previous posts from the OP, I can indeed accept the OP's self assessment.

Personally I cannot imagine being in such a position with little or no personal growth and maturity since the age of 19. Since then I have changed immeasurably, learned and achieved a great deal, married, raised kids, had a career which contributed to others, and moved beyond into additional areas of endeavor. I strive everyday to learn and accomplish more and pursue new goals. I have some success with these attempts. Sometimes the successes are pretty minor but over the decades they do compound. We gain wisdom, knowledge, critical reasoning and understandings we never imagined at age 19.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I was pretty immature at 19. I got kicked out of my family home just before I turned 18 because of religious differences. I played rock guitar, which was the main reason I was kicked out. I lived with a friend and we started a band which lasted about 6 months.

After a while I learned how to cook restaurant food and worked in that industry for a few years. I matured pretty quickly after that, met the love of my life, learned how to raise fish and turned that into a 35 year career, including managing a large fish hatchery and supervising up to 20 employees. That experience matured me a lot and made for a great career that I cherished.

I retired in 2011 and have an enjoyable retirement. My wife helped a lot in "maturing" me and we are still together after 45 years. I had plenty of defects and made mistakes galore, but I also learned from those mistakes and was able to minimize my defects and emphasize my strengths.

I am not the same guy I was at 19.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:54 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I have changed many times over the years.

Always evolving. At 19 i was a shy college student. Now i am a devil may care type of person??? See i don't even know

I pick up new hobbies and interests. Peopl ask me why don't you do XYZ anymore - hello it is time to change it up!!!

Old 01-06-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Having read a great many previous posts from the OP, I can indeed accept the OP's self assessment.

Personally I cannot imagine being in such a position with little or no personal growth and maturity since the age of 19. Since then I have changed immeasurably, learned and achieved a great deal, married, raised kids, had a career which contributed to others, and moved beyond into additional areas of endeavor. I strive everyday to learn and accomplish more and pursue new goals. I have some success with these attempts. Sometimes the successes are pretty minor but over the decades they do compound. We gain wisdom, knowledge, critical reasoning and understandings we never imagined at age 19.
Omg . . . nothing like distorting what I said and using it to elevate your opinion of yourself - lol. I did NOT say I have had no personal growth . . . I think I've done a lot of that. To me, this is different than the soundbite concept of "maturity."

I was a solid 19 year old. All of my current values were in place then. I guess if I was a reckless lunatic at 19, it might sound weird to say I have "not matured." But I have always been very responsible - so not much, if anything has changed in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement