Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 12:15 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
but to me, he just reminds me of a big kid.

One of the nicest things my now-ex-SIL ever said to me (although I suspect that she didn't mean it as a compliment, LOL) was that she "always thought of me as being just a big kid." I did take it as a compliment though, it struck me as a nice thing to be regarded as. In other words that I was a happy and enthusiastic kind of person.

I was in my 50s at the time and to this day I don't know exactly what she meant by that comment, lol

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-08-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 02:41 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't know what "matured" means, really, but I don't think I have done it.

I am basically the same person as I was when I was 19, except more healed (and more damaged, simultaneously!), and "wiser" (I learned how to do some stuff). But basically, I am not more intelligent, or that much different. How about you?
But your question was whether you've matured. That doesn't have much to do with being more or less intelligent or a different person. You are probably a more mature version of that person you were at 19. Rough edges smoothed off, etc. Why wouldn't the passage of 40+ years modify how you express or view the human you have been all along? Guess I don't understand what you are asking.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I haven't matured...I was born mature, and still am.

My favorite thing to do in the 3rd grade was read biographies, the more the better. I read so much, the school librarian packed boxes of nonfiction books for me to take home every summer. Indira Gandhi was my role model. I loved watching Walter Cronkite on the news every night, as I thought he had important things to say, and I followed the news constantly.

When I was 14 or 15, I felt I should get a job so I could pay my own way, buy my own clothing and such, plus buy clothing for my mother, so I got a job to do that. I also helped with chores around the house, and kept my own room spotless. By the time I was 16, I was working 40 hours per week in the summer, and 20 hours per week during the school year. As a teenager, I refused to take risks, and refused to follow the crowd if I thought it would lead someplace I shouldn't be. By the time I was 19, I was working full time and was completely independent, all the while parenting my younger sister.

I'm a bit more fun now than I was as a child...hopefully.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:47 PM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I certainly hope so. Despite many demands, I could be a total jerk. I haven't been able to get away with that in decades. Thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement