Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 04:32 PM

989 posts, read 457,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
If he was in the building trades - there were no friends, etc that could have done this? No special deals on material etc??
Nope. He works commercial. These guys absolutely don't overly want to do side jobs either. We have had some work done here and there though. A friend helped do our hot water heater and we did have some drywall work done back in the 90s.

We don't know people who do countertops, driveways, or bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 05:08 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,972,499 times
I would double check on those pension rules for him. To say he couldn't take a job in a store selling the kind of "stuff" he used to use in his work doesn't sound right.

Another idea to consider. He retires, you move to a smaller home (easier to take care of) closer to your job -- eliminating a bad commute can make you feel a whole lot better. Simplify.

I don't get the part about not wanting to be the only bread winner. Especially since hubby will be contributing to the household expenses via his pension.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You will be fine.

I think you might be going through those five stages of grief.

He's doing what he wants to do and that is making you mad. Is he a more laid back person than you?

Did he want to go out and do fun things while y'all were much younger and you put the kibosh to that?

If he isn't retiring for another year - just live it up and then put your nose to the grindstone.

It will be okay.

I'm not mad. Not sure where you get that. And no, I didn't put the kibosh on things. I'm not sure where you are getting this from but I've "met" enough Judy Judgersons on the internet to see what's going on here.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I would double check on those pension rules for him. To say he couldn't take a job in a store selling the kind of "stuff" he used to use in his work doesn't sound right.

Another idea to consider. He retires, you move to a smaller home (easier to take care of) closer to your job -- eliminating a bad commute can make you feel a whole lot better. Simplify.

I don't get the part about not wanting to be the only bread winner. Especially since hubby will be contributing to the household expenses via his pension.
We've checked that "rule" a number of times. It's very true and weird. I honestly don't know how they enforce it though. Not a change we want to take.

Moving closer to my job means moving right outside the DC area. A smaller home will run me about $700,00 0 to get in a better commuting position. There is no way I'm taking on that kind of debt. The housing market is insane here, even with what I will net out of this current house, I'm looking at adding on a significant mortgage.

And, yes, he's still contributing via pension but it's a significant cut in pay that I'm just not ready for.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:28 PM

83 posts, read 73,581 times
Like I said, I haven't read the entire thread, but in your opening post you stated "my money".

I'm an electrician by trade, but I can do plumbing to a certain level. I have a woodworking shop. I can certainly order and install counter tops built to spec. I can paint walls and seal my driveway. All of these things I can do while collecting my pension and making timely withdrawals from my retirement accounts.

I can buy groceries and cook also. May even run the vacuum if it's raining and nap time is over...don't do windows or clean litter boxes.

I'm now thinking that when I retire I need to make it sound HORRIBLE every day to keep my wife working

Old 01-03-2020, 05:29 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,667,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baysky View Post
the more boomers who can retire the better for those under you longing to take your job.
Incorrect.

The more boomers retire, the more the full burden of paying into Social Security and Medicare (both pay-as-you-go social welfare systems) fall on the younger generations.

Everyone is better off the more people work and the longer they work. It drives up GDP. It drives up productivity.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
He should figure out what he is going to do with his time.
Very true. I'm of the opinion there is no such thing as retirement; you just change what you do every day.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
8. I'm not eligible to retire now. It would be just quitting this point. If I stay until I'm 64, I can get 20% of my income as a pension so I'm trying to work toward that.
The above seems like a very reasonable goal.

Quote:
The commute is really getting to me.
Do you drive a car to work? Or public transportation? Any chance you could get in a carpool?

Prior to retiring, I used to listen to "books on tape"... then "books on CD"... then Audible books... now I use Hoopla to listen to books during my commute. I really enjoyed listening to audio books; I listen to them while driving on road trips. I download a few from my local public library to my iPhone, pair the iPhone with the car audio system, and then listen to a murder mystery or an autobiography or a college class.

The above just might help with your commute.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:58 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,100,470 times
Quote:
For an E-7 - his pension will be about 2000 a month.

Have him check with his reserve unit to make sure. Might settle you down a bit.
That would be if he retired off active duty with 20 plus years.

Quote:
He said they told him it would be $800 per month. We have no idea what his basic pay was at the time of retirement, but I believe that was the figure given at the time.
You are closer to correct I suspect. He would have been an E-7 as you said with about 3400 points depending upon how many deployments and active duty points he worked. He had the benefit of 8 years of active duty as you said so the pay will be a bit more than a straight reservist. I know this because I am a retired national guard soldier.

I honestly think you are or asked a question that you are overthinking is going to be a problem. It happened you are married and I assume you and he love each other. If you do you will make it work. This is not your first transition you have had to deal with.

Thank you both for your service.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodog57 View Post
Like I said, I haven't read the entire thread, but in your opening post you stated "my money".

I'm an electrician by trade, but I can do plumbing to a certain level. I have a woodworking shop. I can certainly order and install counter tops built to spec. I can paint walls and seal my driveway. All of these things I can do while collecting my pension and making timely withdrawals from my retirement accounts.

I can buy groceries and cook also. May even run the vacuum if it's raining and nap time is over...don't do windows or clean litter boxes.

I'm now thinking that when I retire I need to make it sound HORRIBLE every day to keep my wife working
You sound like a superman!!

My husband can do some things well around the house, but he's not a stone or formica cutter. Yes, he can seal a driveway, but he can't lay asphalt for a new one. We both paint. He did finish most of our basement many years ago. He doesn't enjoy working around the house anymore on big projects and I don't enjoy them taking months to get done either. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement