Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 02:04 PM

802 posts, read 643,866 times

Advertisements

I've been using Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nails for about 6 months. (After cancer surgery) I can't say enough good things about it. My hair and nails have never been stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 02:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post

I've been using Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nails for about 6 months. (After cancer surgery) I can't say enough good things about it. My hair and nails have never been stronger.
I agree - it's a very good product. I've used it too. I think combining it with Viviscal tablets and Kerotin tablets is a good approach, if needed.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 6,402,464 times
At 85 I am woolly as ever. I started going gray in my 20s and now it is almost completely white.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:35 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,677,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Hello All,

I am 66.4 years old and looking at retirement soon. My hair was always thin and fine, but it has gotten much thinner in the last 2 years.

Does anyone have this issue and, if so, what are you doing that has worked for you?

Best,

Reddog53
Hello Red, I'm in my early 70s and my hair has always been thin, limp and fine. Until recently a good perm and keeping it short were enough to conceal the problem.

Within the last couple of years, though, it's become really alarming how much of my shiny, bare scalp shows through my few remaining white hairs, especially around my face. I don't consider myself particularly vain (don't wear makeup or fancy clothes) but this really gets to me because I look in the mirror & feel OLD.

I've invested in two products: one called "powder play" that is translucent & sticks to the scalp and hair, so bare scalp doesn't shine through. The other is "boost n blend" in the lightest shade I could find (Platinum) that coats the hair to give the illusion of thickness. Both will have the effect of making your hair stiff, but I haven't found the residue on my pillow, perhaps because I "fix" the products with hairspray after application and the shades I use are both very light.

I know it's irrational, but I feel much better going out in public and not thinking that everyone is staring at my shiny spots.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-06-2020, 01:43 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,124,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
There is something called Toppik. It consists of powdery fibers in several colors that come in a shaker which you shake over your head, and it adds fullness to the hair. It works well on mildly (or even moderately) thinning women's hair, not on completely bald spots. It washes out with water. It is not entirely cheap, but is cheaper and more effective than Rogaine.

Toppik is essentially a shake-on hairpiece. Rogaine actually encourages the growth of your own hair.

They are not really comparable.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:06 PM

989 posts, read 457,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Hello Red, I'm in my early 70s and my hair has always been thin, limp and fine. Until recently a good perm and keeping it short were enough to conceal the problem.

Within the last couple of years, though, it's become really alarming how much of my shiny, bare scalp shows through my few remaining white hairs, especially around my face. I don't consider myself particularly vain (don't wear makeup or fancy clothes) but this really gets to me because I look in the mirror & feel OLD.

I've invested in two products: one called "powder play" that is translucent & sticks to the scalp and hair, so bare scalp doesn't shine through. The other is "boost n blend" in the lightest shade I could find (Platinum) that coats the hair to give the illusion of thickness. Both will have the effect of making your hair stiff, but I haven't found the residue on my pillow, perhaps because I "fix" the products with hairspray after application and the shades I use are both very light.

I know it's irrational, but I feel much better going out in public and not thinking that everyone is staring at my shiny spots.

Best of luck to you!
I don't have thinning hair yet, but defintely fine, limp "slippery" hair and I use a similar product to Powder Play, just for some texture and ooomph. It's call Push by Surface. I swear it's like that stuff we used in gymnastics to use the bars--you'd put it on your hairs so they didn't slip. Reminds of that. I usually style my hair and sprinkle it in various places where I want a little root lift. It's actually very amazing and doesn't feel like you're putting gel or something else heavy in it. I didn't feel like it covered the scalp though, but maybe so but I can't tell.

I also don't get it coming off. I mean, at first when I shake it in and then use my fingers to shape the hair, I'll see some on my shoulders. But I brush it off and then I also spray my hair so maybe that locks it?

Old 01-06-2020, 03:27 PM

8,385 posts, read 4,409,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Toppik is essentially a shake-on hairpiece. Rogaine actually encourages the growth of your own hair.

They are not really comparable.

Well, obviously - Toppik is mechanical, Rogaine is bioactive. But in terms of effectiveness, Toppik does look like little hairs of greater density than what the user has on her head, while Rogaine does not cause anything close to similarly dense growth of new hairs for me (there is of course individual variation in effect, but I have never heard of Rogaine doing miracles, while Toppik users tend to be happy with it, at least those who do not really have a tremendous hair loss). Toppik isn't a hairpiece - if you are a woman, there is nothing too different between powdering your hair with it, and powdering your face with a compact. Both products smooth the situation, are either blaringly obvious or very subtle depending how carefully you apply them, and both of them come off with water and soap/shampoo. I tried Rogaine (the higher % male formulation, on my female mildly thinned hair) for about 6 months, and the effect of it was exactly nothing. I find a few continuous shakes of Toppik along the hair part of my pageboy hairdo totally satisfactory.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:41 PM

480 posts, read 317,551 times
Well, it is thinning in some places and thickening in others. Such as ears, neck, eyebrows. Not the nose though [yet!]

Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,201,436 times
I've been using Rogaine for about a year and a half. It does grow hair and yes, will grow eyebrows. It also grows beards or mustaches if you are a man. I read that many men use it because they have sparse beards or mustaches. It will grow hair wherever hair had grown.

My hair started falling out after a illness 20 yrs ago. I didn't pay attention to it as I assumed it would grow back. I always had thick, curly hair. By the time I was in my late 40's I really noticed how thin my hair was. I scared me.

Thyroid was normal. Now I'm 70. Felt embarrassed by my thin hair and decided to try Rogaine. It works. It does take time, a few months before you see any growth.

I decided to try it on my eyebrows because many years of tweezing them left them almost invisible. It works. It worked so well I started getting bushy eyebrows so I stopped using it. I was actually tweezing again which seemed crazy.

The down side with using Rogaine you need to use it almost every day. I skip a day because it makes my hair look dirty, like I haven't washed it in a while. I tried not using it for a week and all the new hair started falling out in handfuls. So, once you start, you have to use it for life.

So far, I'm still using it because I have a good head of hair now. Thought of it all coming out is worse than the trouble of using it. However, I often think if I got sick and had to be in the hospital, I wouldn't be able to use it and my hair would start falling out.

Its a commitment you have to decide how important it is to you. To me, I love having my hair back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement