Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 07:28 AM

33 posts, read 27,579 times

Advertisements

As a man.....I’ve always said to myself.....I will focus on the issues I can directly control; my actions, words, activity/exercise regimen and weight. The color of my hair and its volume, is not within my natural control. I will stay fit and active and confident - and my gray and thinning hair will not be an issue to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 07:35 AM

989 posts, read 457,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoesmith View Post
As a man.....I’ve always said to myself.....I will focus on the issues I can directly control; my actions, words, activity/exercise regimen and weight. The color of my hair and its volume, is not within my natural control. I will stay fit and active and confident - and my gray and thinning hair will not be an issue to me.
As a man, you're lucky. While men generally are very sensitive about losing their hair, most women don't give a flying fig about it. It's very socially acceptable to be a man and lose all you hair. In fact, some men strive for that look and do it on purpose.

For women, hair is one of those things that can literally be their crowning glory. All else fails, but generally we still have our hair. It's really tough when the hair starts thinning to such an extent that you see so much scalp, even though you try really hard to keep your hair clean and styled neatly. People stare at you, children point at your bald spots, people view you as older and feeble when you aren't. And judging by some of the other posts in this forum regarding men's views on older women, forget about even getting most men to give you the time of day if you start losing your hair.

Yes, for a man, gray and thinning hair is but a blip of an issue.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:55 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,161,559 times
Slightly off topic. Do the rogaine type products grow back thinning eyebrows?

Old 01-04-2020, 02:11 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
Nothing ever helped my hair which used to be dry and stiff, on the fine side. It waved in undesirable ways.

For some reason, after a few keratin treatments at the salon, for a year or more it is now straight, full, swingy and way longer. Looks 10X better. It feels and looks way thicker.

I switched to a round brush and use a satin-type pillowcase and some kind of Moroccan oil conditioner.

Certainly the ONLY physical aspect that has improved in retirement (I'm 64). To my shock and amazement.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
All of the tablets below work quite well, especially Viviscal tablets. I take all of the tablets below.

Viviscal tablets
https://www.target.com/p/viviscal-pr...t/-/A-10892786

Kerotin tablets
https://www.amazon.com/Kerotin-Vitam.../dp/B072N3L1YF

Hairflair tablets
https://www.amazon.com/HairFlair-Vit...=beauty&sr=1-1

Natures Bounty Biotin 10,000mcg softgel tablets
https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bount...sr=1-2-catcorr

Old 01-04-2020, 09:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,073,388 times
I take Biotin gummies one every day. Recently I had to quit my thyroid (Levothyroxine) so I could go on Armour instead. Boy, my hair started coming out big time. Now that I am more stabilized on Armour thyroid, it has stopped falling out. I will continue the Biotin because it grows hair on me everywhere and keeps my nails strong too.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:54 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Slightly off topic. Do the rogaine type products grow back thinning eyebrows?
Possibly. Read this:
https://www.healthline.com/health/rogaine-for-eyebrows

Old 01-04-2020, 10:13 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
I like Bumble and Bumble Thickening Volume Shampoo. It works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Bumble-Thicke.../dp/B000BIUGUU

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bumble-...lts&color=none

Old 01-04-2020, 10:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,289,467 times
would you consider wearing a wig?

I have a female friend that is concerned about thinning hair. She recently had some treatment on it. Nothing medical - probably was over 100 dollars

I've asked her if she would consider giving up coloring her hair - nope. I just think that maybe giving that up for a while would help her hair situation

Do you dye your hair?

And have you had your thyroid checked?

Old 01-05-2020, 03:14 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Hello All,

I am 66.4 years old and looking at retirement soon. My hair was always thin and fine, but it has gotten much thinner in the last 2 years.

Does anyone have this issue and, if so, what are you doing that has worked for you?

Best,

Reddog53
Started losing my hair at 26. I didn't care, the package doesn't show what's inside you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement