Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 05:37 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,575,282 times

Advertisements

This is a huge worry of mine. I am 60 my wife is 62 and not nearly as healthy as I am. Nothing terminal but she just is one of those people so the thought of losing her before I go is very real. And I'm terrified at the options.

Sure you can pay for in home care but most of us can not afford that or a retirement community. So we are left with the thought of a state supported care facility and obviously that is not the best situation, bare bones care at 84 surrounded by white painted cinder block walls is simply terrifying. I can not imagine ever marrying again, there was only 1 Mrs. Mt Airy so I don't see that as a possibility. On top of that we will be in a new state and won't have family near.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 05:43 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,617,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Any of these problems can be solved with enough $$.
Are you kidding? You can’t buy real friends. You can’t buy real relationships.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:51 AM

8,922 posts, read 5,671,526 times
Some people cannot be alone. Some have no issue with it. Depends on which group you fall into. I know a woman who has lived through 3 husbands. Now working on her 4 th after her last husband also died. Wondering about how she manages to get all of these suitors. She isn’t attractive and is very domineering.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:00 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,617,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I hope this hasn't been dealt with before:

Is anybody 70 or older in a position where they have no spouse/SO, friends or family and are growing old alone without any prospects for this regrettable situation changing?

I do have a wonderful spouse, but no family or friends I could rely on if something were to happen to my spouse. I cannot imagine living alone having to rely on just myself to get the things accomplished that I need to, given my health and physical limitations.

Thoughts?
As a retired social worker who dealt with old and alone people I discovered the solution to this important problem: Socialize, seek real relationships, make friends. Do stuff with people. I’ll be 70 next month and have a number of real friends. Just last week I had lunch with a possible new friend. We met at a volunteer organization. We hit it off-will see how it goes. Not having friends is a choice. BTW I am a guy.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:05 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,102,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Is anybody 70 or older in a position where they have no spouse/SO, friends or family and are growing old alone without any prospects for this regrettable situation changing?

I don't see it as a regrettable situation. I see it as a chance, finally, to live my own life.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:55 AM

723 posts, read 576,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
You can’t imagine the pain of living alone? I was married for 10 years, and have been divorced since 1997. I have no interest in having a spouse. I love living alone and wouldn’t have it any other way. I can’t imagine the pain of being married.
I hear ya!

I too was married for a long time (16 years, felt like 16 lifetimes) and have been divorced for 11 years. I have come to LOVE the independence and never having to answer to anyone, accommodate anyone, or compromise on anything. My confidence in my own abilities has soared.

I did have to go back to work full time which was a necessary adjustment, and it was admittedly tough raising two boys on my own. But I did it, and we all survived, even thrived, just fine. Both are wonderful young men now who share a healthy respect for women and an admiration for their mother who worked her ass off to give them a good life and a happy home.

Life as a single person is what you choose to make of it! At this stage of my life, I also wouldn't have it any other way. :-)

Old 12-26-2019, 08:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,597,538 times
Anyone notice how this conversation is falling along gender lines? So far, most of the men seem to need a wife or female companion. Most of the women are fine being single/alone.

Anywho, I've been single/alone my entire life. I have no fear going into retirement. It just takes good planning assuming no major health issues

Last edited by charlygal; 12-26-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-26-2019, 08:50 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,365,733 times
I have several older female friends that live alone. Divorced or widowed.

They could not imagine living with someone again. As someone pointed out - if you have the cash you can pay someone to do things for you

I tell that to the actively married ladies when they start thinking about what they would do without their man.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:51 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,102,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Anyone notice how this conversation is falling along gender lines? So far, I most of the men seem to need a wife or female companion. Most of the women are fine being single/alone.
Every woman my age I've talked to about the possibility of losing their spouse has told me with some vehemence they would never get married again.

No offense, guys, but if you are terrified of being alone seriously consider reassessing your dynamic with your wife. It could be you depend on her way too much. While she may not complain about it to you, it can be an undue burden that prevents her from enjoying her life to the fullest.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:02 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,153,357 times
I see a very definite gender difference in my part of the country. I cannot tell you if single men are looking to get married. I know quite a few who are not. With way more single women than single men, I can see the opposite. If a single man shows up in our group, many of the women will go into attack mode. They are desperate for male companionship. My brother in law lives on the opposite end of the country. He is no catch at 80 years old with little money. Even so there are always women in his life wanting more. Sooner or later some give up but there are always more to join the harem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement