Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:42 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
If you have a Marshalls home goods store near you they often have some great sheets at great prices, especially if you hit a mark down. I love 100% cotton not sateen and not microfiber that I iron the top sheet and pillow cases. I don't know if they are percale as I usually crack open the packaging and just feel them to see if they are what I am looking for.
Sateen is 100 percent cotton. It is tightly woven and feels more like finer silk. The more expensive sateen is as breathable as percale but not as rough. My skin is hyper sensitive- I get atopic dermatitis easily from anything abrasive etc. So Sateen is best for me. I take a silk cocoon to use traveling in case the sheets are too rough.

https://www.cocoon.at/products/index...mummyliners_en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 12:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
A couple years ago, our Costco here had some high thread count 100% cotton sheet sets with really deep pockets on the fitted sheets. They were pretty inexpensive since we bought two sets and we don't usually get two sets of things like that unless they're inexpensive. Those sheets are very cold sheets and perfect for summer.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:32 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Any 100% cotton sheet will be cooler than microfiber or any other man-made fabric. Also use a cotton mattress pad with cotton filling under the sheets.

You might suggest to your friend to take Vitamin E. It doesn't eliminate the hot flashes but it might reduce their severity. It worked for me.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A couple years ago, our Costco here had some high thread count 100% cotton sheet sets with really deep pockets on the fitted sheets. They were pretty inexpensive since we bought two sets and we don't usually get two sets of things like that unless they're inexpensive. Those sheets are very cold sheets and perfect for summer.
Just be aware that the higher the thread count, the thinner the sheet. You may or may not like that.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Just be aware that the higher the thread count, the thinner the sheet. You may or may not like that.
Not exactly. High thread count sheets are made with finer, thinner yarn. So they use more threads to make equivalent sheets.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:50 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,161,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Any 100% cotton sheet will be cooler than microfiber or any other man-made fabric. Also use a cotton mattress pad with cotton filling under the sheets.

You might suggest to your friend to take Vitamin E. It doesn't eliminate the hot flashes but it might reduce their severity. It worked for me.
Thank you, I'll pass that along.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not exactly. High thread count sheets are made with finer, thinner yarn. So they use more threads to make equivalent sheets.
Not the ones I have seen or tried. My experience has been finer, thinner yarn makes thinner sheets. They wear out easily. I put my foot through 2 of them a couple years ago. I guess they developed a "thin" spot.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:34 PM

6,778 posts, read 5,499,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I rotate some 400+ thread count cotton percale sheets on my bed - the trick to percale is that it softens with washing and use. Not a fan of "slithery" sateen sheets. In winter I used to love flannel sheets but I don't like the way they wash in - they are great at first.

We are a "2 temps" household - I sleep with the sheet and the blanket in fall/winter/spring and the spouse sleeps with sheet, blanket, second blanket, down comforter in the same time frame.
1st, I, too, vote for percale.

I overheard and sweat while sleeping, my OH is always freezing, so we too, are a 2 temp household.

I sleep with just a sheet and single lightweight blanket, my OH has sheet, microfiber blanky, heavy comforter and wears 3 layers to bed.

We keep an extra bath sheet under the sheets as my OH is known to sweat "a little" but we have a plastic mattress cover under the sheets, supposedly because that cover is required for the mattress warranty. The bath sheet absorb s the sweat.

Percale is no s and cool, and OP, I agree the microfiber sheets are of no help in keeping cool, they heat you up instead, or at least don't allow the heat to escape.

There is no easy answer when one is sweating during the winter, as ac keeps me cool during the warm months.

Good luck finding a "right fit," in bed clothes that will help your friend.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:12 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
I hate 'em but they seem to be very popular. I think there are more microfiber sheets on Amazon than cotton.

I found some long staple percale sheets that go on lightning sale at Amazon in a couple hours and forwarded it to her. Hopefully she'll buy them.
Who cares how popular something is? If it isn't going to work for her situation, popularity means nothing. Never understood why people use popularity as the more important criteria to buy practical things. Maybe this would make a nice Christmas gift...expose her to something she might not think to try.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:43 PM

399 posts, read 701,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Percale for crisp, cool sleeping.
This is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement