Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 AM

102 posts, read 414,653 times

Advertisements

And I can't find ANYTHING else. Not at the major department stores, not online, not at Costco, not at Bed Bath and Beyond, not at Overstock (the kind I want always seems to be sold out-not surprising).

What is going on here?? Sateen must be cheap to produce, and it "looks nice" so they can charge more. The market seems to be flooded, while regular sheets are hardly to be found.

Some websites won't even put that the sheets are sateen. Many customers then go online and write negative reviews, stating they saw the sheets were sateen when they arrived, and sent them back.

Sateen is too shiny, too slick, it "pills" and it wrinkles like heck.

Why can't we buy straight, simple cotton sheets these days? What is this "sateen" cr-p??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Also no fan of sateen sheets. Ended up getting bamboo sheets for my daughter and we got organic cotton for ours. Both very soft and no slickness - yay!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I haven't bought new sheets in years. When I found some that matched my bedroom décor, I bought three sets. Do you know how hard it is to find plaid sheets that aren't flannel?

But I also agree that sateen sheets are everywhere. The old rule of thumb was the higher the thread count, the better the sheets. Well perhaps if buying cotton. But these sateen crappy sets are everywhere. I no longer pay attention to thread count but to fabric content. I was with my sister a few months ago while she was looking at some sheets. She too was frustrated with all the shiny sheets.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
What are bamboo sheets like?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
I agree with the OP. I don't find a higher threat-count more comfortable. I prefer something in the range of 300 and I've found that sateen gets so wrinkly, it needs to be ironed. I like a more cottony feeling sheet. We found ours at JCPenney, but they are several years old. Now we're on the hunt for nice, soft, cottony, non-sateen sheets too!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
What are bamboo sheets like?
They are very very soft, which is why my daughter wanted them. When you look at them, they seem almost too thin but they've held up very well. I personally like that they're a lighter sheet vice the heavy stiff and too shiny sateen sheets. Softest sheets I have found yet. The organic cotton we also use would come in second for softness.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Hate sateen too!

I prefer quality egypian cotton sheets. I usually have luck finding them at TJmax and Marshalls.

Bamboo is super soft but feels flimsy. They do hold up very well. My children love them.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Love buying sheets from here.

Cotton Flannel Sheets, Percale Sheets, Jersey-Knit Sheets - Garnet Hill

cheap? no. but they are the best quality ever.
in this case you definitely get what you pay for. I haven't had to buy new sheets for a few years for either of my kids.
I am now in need for sheets on my bed, I know for a fact that the next set I get will be from Garnet Hill and they will last pretty much forever!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hate sateen too!

I prefer quality egypian cotton sheets. I usually have luck finding them at TJmax and Marshalls.

Bamboo is super soft but feels flimsy. They do hold up very well. My children love them.
I felt the same way when I felt the bamboo sheets! My daughter LOVES them though. Concur with the egyptian cotton - how could I forget those! I also get them at TJMaxx/Marshalls.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 AM

102 posts, read 414,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I like a more cottony feeling sheet. We found ours at JCPenney, but they are several years old. Now we're on the hunt for nice, soft, cottony, non-sateen sheets too!
I went into the store at JC Penney a few days ago, because I wanted to see for myself what I was buying so I wouldn't have to send it back.

There wasn't a non-sateen to be found in the entire store! Same with Costco (somebody had suggested that). I hope someone comes on with a solution. I don't know why we're being forced to buy sateen. The only thing I can think is they overproduced this garbage and have vast warehouses of it they need to dump on consumers before they'll let the real stuff back out onto the market again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products