Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 02:23 PM

17,963 posts, read 13,777,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Some people just aren't as smart as you.

Then find someone to help you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 02:25 PM

107,634 posts, read 110,340,040 times
There are lots of professional companies on line that can do very complicated work ups for a low price ...I like social security solutions.

I have not needed them but for someone who wants the whole picture including assets and tax ramifications they can do a full work up

Old 12-21-2019, 10:23 PM

2,012 posts, read 1,299,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There are lots of professional companies on line that can do very complicated work ups for a low price ...I like social security solutions.

I have not needed them but for someone who wants the whole picture including assets and tax ramifications they can do a full work up
Thanks. The rep called me from social security administration before my appointment date and told me that I could have applied 8 years ago for half my husband's SS, but no one told me, so they kept paying me my own earnings. Ain't that nice? So I lost about 4,000. Too late to claim it. But he said I could get 6 months arrears. Not much, only $44 a month, but still, it's something. (sigh)

Old 12-21-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I would suspect that the “extra $100” is PROBABLY what has been in the news regarding the COLA (cost of living) increase for January. The average SS recipient will get about $100/yr increase, not per month. Most of the average persons check will see very little increase because of the increase in Medicare premium (about $9/month) which occurs at the same time.

Most of the disparaging comments are in regards to the OP clearly stating that “ No one told me when I first applied at 62 that I could get more of his SS benefit if I waited. Now at the age of 75 I found out. Sad really that so much education is not broadcast”. 3 statements almost designed to elicit a negative reaction. Especially since a simply search on “social security” will bring hundreds of explanatory threads.

And now later in the thread the OP clearly states “Here's the deal: I read that under most circumstances it would be better to sign up at 62, which I did. I don't predict how long I'll live, so I figured I better start collecting. So since then I lasted for about 14 years, collecting Social Security. My husband is a few years younger than me (2) and so also waited until he was 62 to collect. In retrospect I am purty sure we did not make a 'mistake.' Do I regret it? No. ”

Which, by the way, is correct. For most people, filing at 62 is the correct choice. Mainly because it is their only choice. Because most people can not BE retired without collecting SS.

So it has nothing to do with being Mensa types, financial experts, or wanting to prove how smart they are. This forum is, if not anything else, fairly intolerant of pity or blame parties. And as it turns out, the OP clearly admits there is no basis for her opening post. If the OP didn’t already have a fair number of previous posts, and a 2008 join date, I would even assume she was a troll, as this is exactly the kind of post that elicits such a reaction.

Just like the “defenders of the underdogs” always chime in whenever they read mocking in to a response. Perhaps the rules of SS can appear confusing, especially since they change depending on your year of birth. The reality is that everyone (well most) should know that even basic math is not a given skill set for many people. My 30 year old step son could not tell you what 35% of $100 is without a calculator. That is the definition of sad. In a forum saying “How could you not know this?” is met with all kinds of assumptions about judging people, followed by derision from the other side, that it is indeed a mocking worthy lack of common skill. While it is better to simply state the fact “The answer is $35.” and remove any trace of incredulity, it rarely happens because most on this forum look for a discussion, which mimics real conversation. Don’t take it personally.
jeez...

Old 12-21-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
If you go back to the SS office - maybe write down your questions first

What is your ultimate goal? Maximizing your benefits?

When you go - stop the questions in your head and listen. Ask one question at a time

I took a friend to the SS cuz she gets all flustered. She started rattling off things at a 100mph at the first window we lined up at. I told her - this is just the person that tells you which agent to see - slow your roll. LOL.
I really did not know that I should have/could have applied for half my husband's income (SS) when I turned 65. Yes, I applied at 62. No one told me to reapply at 65 or something like that for spousal benefits. No one. Not my family, no one. Anyway, good thing I asked recently. Because the rep called me and spoke to me and put in the claim for $44 more a month. I don't know how one of the other phone reps estimated I could get $100 a month. Well, $44 is not much but it's something. Should pay at least for my cell phone plan. :-) And it's 6 months retroactive. Not all those years. I went into the SS office to inquire in someone else's behalf, not knowing that I could have had more all those years. We were talking about things. The rep in the office at that time informed me about this and was not very specific, told me to go to welfare, even though I explained we were over the welfare limit, but he kept it up with me. Another rep called me because Pres. Trump gave the SS administration off Christmas eve and that's when my appointment was, so he interviewed me on the phone, and explained in detail what it was about, so he's putting the claim in for me. (Oh well...) I spoke to several reps before that and got a mixed up scenario about it. Maybe they have it right this time.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:15 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,894,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks. The rep called me from social security administration before my appointment date and told me that I could have applied 8 years ago for half my husband's SS, but no one told me, so they kept paying me my own earnings. Ain't that nice? So I lost about 4,000. Too late to claim it. But he said I could get 6 months arrears. Not much, only $44 a month, but still, it's something. (sigh)
If you’ve been here since 2008, this subject has been discussed here in retirement forum numerous times. It pays to be informed.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:28 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,940,583 times
I don't know....maybe I've had a bit too much Christmas cheer tonight and I'm not thinking clearly and I do apologize in advance if I am but it seems to me out of all 7 pages of you know it all experts,financial wizards, pants on FIRE wannabes and "mensa types" none of you -no one- nada - identified what Cindi's real issue was. ( that when she attained FRA she should have switched to her husbands benefit) Some of you were kind and helpful but some of you (MIKE) act like you have it all figured out when in fact NONE of you did. I also think it's ridiculous that there isn't some type of program in the Social Security system that monitors and provides the highest benefit recipients are entitled to. It breaks my heart to think that there are people out there barely scraping by when in fact they don't have to be. I know for a fact the if someone was 1cent over certain income limits all types of alarms would go off to access surcharges.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:54 AM

107,634 posts, read 110,340,040 times
the problem was identified early on .. the thread questions why she did not know something that is pretty much common knowledge with most seniors was the root of th discussion if you read the threads

the real question is why do people spend more time researching and learning about a refrigerator or car or even restaurants , then they do some of the most important decisions in their lives like ss and basic retirement planning . that is the question and it is not just about the op .

the basic understanding of these things , can take all of 5 minutes of reading to learn , yet so many still won't bother to do an ounce of homework . then everyone else is to blame when they don't know something that is basic ..

social security can be very complex , we all get that ... but there are things that are just pretty much so basic that anyone ss age should know or have known , some of these things on their own . there are many things in retirement that are so important that there will be a price to pay for taking no interest and this is an example of what can happen when you expect others to do 100% of the learning for you

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-23-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-23-2019, 06:00 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,250,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem was identified early on .. the thread questions why she did not know something that is pretty much common knowledge with most seniors was the root of th discussion if you read the threads

the real question is why do people spend more time researching and learning about a refrigerator or car or even restaurants , then they do some of the most important decisions in their lives like ss and basic retirement planning . that is the question and it is not just about the op .

the basic understanding of these things , can take all of 5 minutes of reading to learn , yet so many still won't bother to do an ounce of homework . then everyone else is to blame when they don't know something that is basic ..

social security can be very complex , we all get that ... but there are things that are just pretty much so basic that anyone ss age should know or have known , some of these things on their own . there are many things in retirement that are so important that there will be a price to pay for taking no interest and this is an example of what can happen when you expect others to do 100% of the learning for you

Bingo!

Old 12-23-2019, 08:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,894,075 times
If you don’t know anything, make sure you check out some books on this subject, that’s how I do it. Library books are free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement