Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 01:17 PM

106,631 posts, read 108,773,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
You and a few others obviously misunderstood what I am saying. Perhaps you missed a few posts I made. Some people understood, and I thank them for their comments. And yes, I am saying that three conversations ago with the SS rep on the phone, I was told I can qualify for HALF my husband's payment, but he did not go into details. In fact, he told me I can expect to get about $100 more in January. The next rep on the phone said something different. The rep at the office said something else, adding more to it. I chose to get my own SS at 62 (understand?) and it was not a mistake. But -- the first rep told me I can get $100 or so (he wasn't sure) more added. Am I blaming SS for the contradictory or elusory statements? hmmm. :-) If I did not explain myself properly, I'll try to do better in the future. Thanks.

all you need to know about spousal is right on their website . the calculation is as simple as i stated above if you want to know what you get .

you don't need them for that ... you can either throw it in the on line calculator or do it manually .

all you need to know is his fra amount and your fra amount regardless of when you actually filed .

you simply take half his fra amount , subtract what your fra amount would have been had you waited and any difference is added to your 62 amount ,. it can never be equal to half his if you filed early .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 01:22 PM

4,862 posts, read 4,799,658 times
Quote:
The last rep who was very helpful, explained that with the Part B deduction I would not get half and even so, I'd only get 35%. Maybe I'm not explaining it properly but maybe also I needed help figuring it out but didn't have anyone to help. I know what the situation is if he predeceases me regarding the pension. I won't have same income but I'll be ok. Thank you. I appreciate your kindness.
Could it be that the S/S rep meant that after your Part B premium was withheld, you would actually receive about about 35% of your husband's amount (which would be 50% minus the premium)?

Old 12-07-2019, 01:44 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You don't need to go into the office. There is a wealth of info on the internet and their websites.
Having a pension doesn't disqualify you from welfare. It's the amount of income they look at.

Here is the main page for SSI and other benefits you might qualify for.
"I think" which you stated above is assuming without verification.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-understanding-ssi.htm
I realize that having a pension in itself would not disqualify me from welfare. We get a very good amount, higher than poverty level in itself, that without the social security checks. So yes, I'll see if what I 'think' is right or wrong.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Could it be that the S/S rep meant that after your Part B premium was withheld, you would actually receive about about 35% of your husband's amount (which would be 50% minus the premium)?
I have no idea. And that is certainly possible, but did not delineate. Next time, yes, I'll go into the office (which is near me) and get it all in writing.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
all you need to know about spousal is right on their website . the calculation is as simple as i stated above if you want to know what you get .

you don't need them for that ... you can either throw it in the on line calculator or do it manually .

all you need to know is his fra amount and your fra amount regardless of when you actually filed .

you simply take half his fra amount , subtract what your fra amount would have been had you waited and any difference is added to your 62 amount ,. it can never be equal to half his if you filed early .
The first rep I spoke to (thinking he would have the 'right' and complete answer, little did I know, but now I do) told me I qualify for "about" $100 more. I was SOOO happy to hear that, but -- now it seems there are a few little turns in that. Thanks anyway. Oh, and yes I didn't actually call for that, but spoke to them about death benefits, or better put, spousal benefits. Then the subject came up about half now, and he told me what he did about getting about $100 more. Obviously when I checked it out at the office and with a rep on the phone, I got different answers.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I have no idea. And that is certainly possible, but did not delineate. Next time, yes, I'll go into the office (which is near me) and get it all in writing.
Why not do the math yourself ..it couldn’t be easier ...I will do it if you want ...all I need is what your fra amount would have been and his fra amount and then what you actually are getting not counting anything being taken out like Medicare or taxes ...

Old 12-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
If you don't pay for Part B, you won't get Part B.

So it doesn't have to "come off" - but you will lose the benefit. It is your choice.
I understand that. I guess I did not ask the first rep the right questions. :-) (He didn't say anything about Part B.)

Old 12-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Why not do the math yourself ..it couldn’t be easier ...I will do it if you want ...all I need is what your fra amount would have been and his fra amount and then what you actually are getting not counting anything being taken out like Medicare or taxes ...
Thank you. How can I find what the FRA would have been?

Old 12-07-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you. How can I find what the FRA would have been?
Well if you are not sure at this stage it can be hard to back in to it because you have 13 years of colas to subtract out to see what you got at 62 ..... once you collect I don’t think ss displays that info anymore on their site.

If you know what you got at 62 we can figure it out. Same with him

Old 12-07-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Well if you are not sure at this stage it can be hard to back in to it because you have 13 years of colas to subtract out to see what you got at 62 ..... once you collect I don’t think ss displays that info anymore on their site.

If you know what you got at 62 we can figure it out. Same with him
I don't. Maybe I can ask when I go back to SS office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement