Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Good luck OP I hope you get this sorted to your advantage but do go to SS in person and ask all your questions.

To me the problem comes that the SS person answers the questions asked the SS person may not answer questions unasked or follow on questions hence the applicant may receive conflicting messages if he/she asks a second person.

So my recommendation for future SS applicants is to think about what you need to know, given your situation, before you go so that you can have a conversation with the SS person, not a download. Never never ever use the phone to call in questions. That is where you get different people who answer different parts of the questions asked. Just human nature. Use the phone to make an appointment.

You can also read the regulations and Q&A on line then do your application on line. but some may not be comfortable with that. so an in person face to face works best for those.

Talking from experience here. I tried everyday possible to get my sister in to talk with the SS persons but no, she had to do it her way and is to this day still complaining about the deal she made. Sigh
I have also encountered that situation with people. They take it and then they start asking questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 10:21 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,262,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You keep saying you assumed. It sounds like you didn't properly educate yourself and now you're implying that the SSA somehow did you wrong. Reduced benefits for early filing is well known and well publicized.
I knew it would be reduced. In the meantime the reps are giving conflicting information.

Last edited by Cindi Waters; 12-07-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
PIA is Primary Insurance Amount, and it's what your husband would receive at his FRA (Full Retirement Age). If you started collecting Spousal benefits at FRA you'd get 50% of that. Because you started early, you got 76% of that 50%, which is about the 35% you mentioned.

You said that you could get more on your own record; maybe that's the extra $100 they were telling you about? Right now I'm collecting Survivor benefits on may late husband's record, which I started at 61, but will apply based on my own record at age 70 and that will give me a nice increase.

You mentioned that your husband has a good retirement plan; you should take a look at what your situation would be if he predeceases you. Yes, you'll get the amount he's getting from SS but you won't get Spousal or Survivor benefits so household SS income will decrease. Also, the Survivor Benefit on his pension may be less than 100% of what he gets. These are good things to know now; I've seen widows blindsided by these changes on top of the shock of losing their husband.
The last rep who was very helpful, explained that with the Part B deduction I would not get half and even so, I'd only get 35%. Maybe I'm not explaining it properly but maybe also I needed help figuring it out but didn't have anyone to help. I know what the situation is if he predeceases me regarding the pension. I won't have same income but I'll be ok. Thank you. I appreciate your kindness.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I have also encountered that situation with people. They take it and then they start asking questions.
Some people just aren't as smart as you.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:35 AM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Some people just aren't as smart as you.
It has nothing to do with smart. It's understanding and asking questions before you sign on the dotted line and applies to anything important.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
It seems like common sense to research the life-changing decision when to collect SS. There is plenty of information online so you can make the right decision for your situation. We are all responsible for our own financial future in retirement.
You would think at least the basics would be important enough to look up first

Old 12-07-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It has nothing to do with smart. It's understanding and asking questions before you sign on the dotted line and applies to anything important.
As I said...it really doesn't help for you to chastise but have a good day.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You would think at least the basics would be important enough to look up first
I did and financially I made the right decision but it's amazing some of your comments. As I said...

Old 12-07-2019, 11:31 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
I think I recall from a group presentation by a SS employee that they answer questions but are not suppose to suggest the best option for you. I think they would be hard pressed to give you the best answer as they know very little about you so it leaves us with having to do our home work and then ask the questions several times to be sure we are correct. Make sure you can verify your answers in written SS documents. I have found that some local SS offices are excellent at helping you with correct information but not all.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:49 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I did and financially I made the right decision but it's amazing some of your comments. As I said...
so you say you learned the basis and did not know if you filed early you get a reduction in benefit ? is that what you are telling us ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement