Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 02:13 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,801,039 times

Advertisements

1. Play music

2. Study and practice a second language

3. Stay physically active.

4. Own a pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 08:26 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,432,939 times
I am sorry to say that my "give-a-hoot" factor at work has all but flown away. I've got another year and a half to go at most on this particular contract. I am not necessarily going to welcome an extension. Customer is not going to do anything drastic as long as we maintain quantity and quality of deliveries. Oh dear. I do hope that is not a sign of cognitive decline?

Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM

11,286 posts, read 9,915,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I quickly scanned the 5 pages of comments on this thread and I just amazed. I could not believe the large number of people who play cards, board games, crossword puzzles, sudoku, scrabble, Candy Crush, two deck solitaire, and similar.

I live in a different world. The people I know are taking art, history, and other courses through the OLLI program, are participating in camera clubs, are writing poems and books, playing music.

Last week I attended two art gallery openings with most of the work produced by retirees. I had works in both exhibitions. The exhibitions were absolutely outstanding.
Well we do those things too, we even have our own "university" where residents who are subject matter experts offer classes through our library in everything from photography, astronomy, computer literacy, foreign languages, etc, but that doesn't mean we don't like puzzles and games. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing games. I'll bet a lot of the people "in your world" also do crosswords or play Mahjong or bridge once in awhile.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:21 PM

11,179 posts, read 6,788,086 times
Living in another culture and language has plenty of built-in stimulus for us.

Traveling to more cultures is the biggest mind-expansion ever. Seems to me a lot of these mind challenges have to do with getting out of one's comfort zone.

Even books about other times/cultures can be stimulating as you imagine and immerse yourself in them.
"Pillars of the Earth" right now for a time-traveling medieval experience (the movie is great too).

Old 12-09-2019, 05:43 PM

14,303 posts, read 14,928,749 times
I was going to reply but I forgot what I was going to say.........

Old 12-09-2019, 07:25 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,460,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I quickly scanned the 5 pages of comments on this thread and I just amazed. I could not believe the large number of people who play cards, board games, crossword puzzles, sudoku, scrabble, Candy Crush, two deck solitaire, and similar.

I live in a different world. The people I know are taking art, history, and other courses through the OLLI program, are participating in camera clubs, are writing poems and books, playing music.

Last week I attended two art gallery openings with most of the work produced by retirees. I had works in both exhibitions. The exhibitions were absolutely outstanding.
Well, the topic of the thread is "keeping brain cells alive", so of course word games will come up a lot. I must say, your post comes off to me as a bit condescending, as if the people who aren't in your "world" of art galleries and history classes and such are just lazy lumps wasting their lives away on their computers.

MY way of keeping brain cells alive is line-dancing. Constantly learning new dances and memorizing new patterns and counts is good for the brain, while getting a physical workout at the same time. In addition to meeting new friends of all ages, even kids in their late teens and 20s. Being around all those young folks energizes all us old folks. And despite the back/leg/hip pain that comes with degenerating disks, I'm going to keep doing it as long as I can.

So that's the world I live in. May not be for everyone -- different strokes for different folks -- but it's a heck of a good time!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,857,572 times
Ball room dancing for my husband and I next semester. We took it in 2005, but my husband danced like an engineer, best way I can describe it, so this time we try again. His parents did a lot of dancing when they were alive.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:06 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,460,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Ball room dancing for my husband and I next semester. We took it in 2005, but my husband danced like an engineer, best way I can describe it, so this time we try again. His parents did a lot of dancing when they were alive.
Haha, that's so cute. Well, hopefully he can get his "suave" on this time! I remember a young guy in our line dance class who was really terrible in the beginning. He was a big football-ish guy, very clunky and no rhythm. He kept after it and a year later, I see him at the country line dance place leading the dances!

Old 12-09-2019, 11:35 PM
JRR

8,249 posts, read 5,775,934 times
I enjoy trading stocks and it certainly keeps my mind active. Don't know what it does for my brain cells, but it is good for the checkbook.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:07 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,565,006 times
Here are two games that my occupational therapist recommended after my stroke. I play them every day and enjoy both of them very much. I do believe they help keep my mind active too:

Word Whomp Game [Online]

https://www.jigsawexplorer.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement