Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boleex View Post
I play crosswords and sudokus too. Me and some friends even invented a game called setka which is a combo of crosswords and sudoku (Setkagames.com, if anyone is interested).

I've found the challenge of writing crossword clues to be more interesting but also 10x more difficult than answering them.
I’ve gotten obsessed with the NYT Crossword puzzles since I retired this summer. I think I’ll eventually take a stab at designing some puzzles.

2-3 hours cycling several days a week has been good for the mind and body. Hoping to do some serious slow travel in foreign cultures soon, which should also be good for the mind. Less time online and watching TV, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 11:24 AM

16,093 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Trying to keep brain cells alive

I keep mine in alcohol next to my bed.

Actually I find that writing helps me keep on top of things. Strategy games help if only simple computer games. My problem is getting out the door to socialize more.

I get those senior moments. Somebody on the phone asked for my address a week ago and I had the number right but the wrong street -- one that crosses mine but that I never lived on. It is a street that I would give for directions to my house but for a moment I had those wires crossed. I live in a semi-rural area and seldom give out my address without giving directions so I can see how that happened but it got me befuddled for minute.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:38 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
I have definitely slowed down a lot. Nothing is an emergency anymore. Nobody is depending on me to "figure it out".

It is a wonderful relief.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:38 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
My friend got Alzheimer. it started he couldn't remember peoples names, people he knew very well or streets or towns that came up in normal conversation, he was embarrassed by it.
He seemed to strive to eat as unhealthy as possible, lived a sedimentary life, didn't get enough sleep. A heart attack finished him off.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:45 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
I quickly scanned the 5 pages of comments on this thread and I just amazed. I could not believe the large number of people who play cards, board games, crossword puzzles, sudoku, scrabble, Candy Crush, two deck solitaire, and similar.

I live in a different world. The people I know are taking art, history, and other courses through the OLLI program, are participating in camera clubs, are writing poems and books, playing music.

Last week I attended two art gallery openings with most of the work produced by retirees. I had works in both exhibitions. The exhibitions were absolutely outstanding.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 AM

29 posts, read 22,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I quickly scanned the 5 pages of comments on this thread and I just amazed. I could not believe the large number of people who play cards, board games, crossword puzzles, sudoku, scrabble, Candy Crush, two deck solitaire, and similar.

I live in a different world. The people I know are taking art, history, and other courses through the OLLI program, are participating in camera clubs, are writing poems and books, playing music.

Last week I attended two art gallery openings with most of the work produced by retirees. I had works in both exhibitions. The exhibitions were absolutely outstanding.
Your world sounds interesting and you are fortunate to have the resources to participate in those rewarding activities. Some individuals may not have the ability (physical, mental, financial, etc.) to engage in the programs you mention, but choose a lifestyle within their comfort zone. It’s all good!

Old 12-08-2019, 10:05 AM

745 posts, read 480,581 times
I'm not quite retired, but work tends to kill whatever amount of brain cells I have left .

Anyway, I have this app on my iPad called Elevate that is considered a brain training app. You play a series of short games (5) to test your Writing, Speaking, Reading and Math abilities. You take short little tests in the form of games in a short amount of time.

Your scores are then compiled in an EPQ (Elevate Proficiency Quota) and this is based on how well you do in the games, how often you play and compared to others in your age group.

For example in the Writing game called "Detail", you are shown like 2 paragraphs and you have to touch the mistakes where there are missing words, extra words, misspellings, etc. As are all the games, it is timed.

One of the math games is called "Equivalence". In this one, you are shown 3 or more diamonds that contain either a fraction or a pie chart or a percentage and you have to touch the ones that are equivalent to each other.

There are multiple games of each category and they are random each day. I only spend 5 or 10 minutes a day on it (5 games per day).

I like it so much I bought the lifetime subscription for $150.00.

The main point is that it causes you to think and think quickly. I think it has helped me be motivated for the day.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

I do both. I can only paint 16-20 hours a week, after that I have to rest, my right shoulder needs stretching. My husband is getting back at playing guitar, he just watch YouTube now to improve his technique.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:38 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Robin View Post
Your world sounds interesting and you are fortunate to have the resources to participate in those rewarding activities. Some individuals may not have the ability (physical, mental, financial, etc.) to engage in the programs you mention, but choose a lifestyle within their comfort zone. It’s all good!
It NOT all good. Some older people are house bound or worse.

For those able to get out, there are lots of activities that cost very little. I belong to one photography club that is free. We meet in a library conference room also for free. I belong to another photography club that is $40/year and most of that goes for renting meeting space in a community center. The OLLI courses I take cost about $350/year and I often take 8 semester long courses for that fee.

BTW, some of those who attend these programs are dependent on elder transportation resources, some can barely walk from the van with a walker or cane and there are some who need wheelchairs. A lot of people make serious efforts to get out, be around others and engage in stimulating activities. Maybe it helps with brain function; maybe, not, but it is part of a lifestyle many are willing to work to enjoy.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I think of the money I paid for these classes are cheap therapy. Divide by the number of hours I spent each week enjoying doing my paintings, they are peanuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement