Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 08:11 AM

11,143 posts, read 9,784,266 times

Advertisements

I enjoy Scrabble and Sudoku. I usually beat the bot at Scrabble, but I'm so slow at Sudoku. I've been a daily Jeopardy watcher since....well, forever. I even met Alex and shook his hand when I went to a mall to take the test to be on the show. I missed it by one question. Darn. I also enjoy doing crosswords, but mainly I do those on paper rather than the computer.

I believe that there are many contributing factors in dementia, including genetic predisposition, lack of blood flow to the brain due to vascular disease, long term use of certain meds, lack of mental stimulation, poor diet, alcoholism/drug abuse, some sources even say hearing loss can exacerbate the issue. I believe taking a multi-pronged approach to the issue is key to prevention. Try to eat well, get plenty of sleep, avoid unnecessary meds, keep your cholesterol numbers in check, get moderate exercise regularly, and keep working those puzzles and reading. Hopefully research on new treatments will prove effective at slowing or reversing the problem.

edited to add: I'm so sad about Alex's pancreatic cancer. What a horrible disease. It seems like no one is ever diagnosed until stage IV.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-06-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:50 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,226,903 times
Jeopardy, for me , has been a telling indication of a noticeable decline in 'instant recall'.
I could never, now, push that button in time to be first with the answer
Seems that so many times in the past,I would have pushed it as soon as possible.
Now, it's, oh yeah, I knew that.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:39 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,006 times
I only do offline games.

Most fond of two deck Spider solitaire. Have free XMSolitaire suite installed with about every solitaire one can imagine. So try other solitaire games at times.

Also like little known one called Golden Bird (from win98 era but plays fine in WINE). And puzzle game called ShisenSho. Try others when bored. Oh Frozen Bubble is fun but once you go through the levels, not that entertaining to do same levels again.

Keep going back to Spider for most part.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:03 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
There are other threads on this very topic. Summary is: there is no evidence that exercising the mind has an effect on loss of cognition due to aging.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-...on-brain-games

Quote:
Many older adults enjoy "brain games" like crosswords, chess, and computer games. But can they help improve memory?
While these activities are mentally stimulating, their long-term benefits are still being debated. Some studies have found they may help delay dementia or slow its progression, while other research has found no connection.

Healthy heart, healthy brain

The best thing you can do for your brain health — and to protect against Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia — is to adopt and maintain a heart-healthy lifestyle, says Dr. Julie BrodyMagid, clinical director of the Memory Disorders Assessment Clinic at Harvard-affiliated McLean Hospital.

Based on current research, the best way to build more cognitive reserve is to get regular exercise and stay physically active.

But brain games can expand the beneficial effects of exercise. In fact, research has found that the combination of exercise and brain games or another similar mental stimulus — such as pursuing more education, socializing, partaking in cultural activities, and discussing ideas — can build cognitive reserve better than exercise alone.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:55 PM

66 posts, read 85,521 times
I play crosswords and sudokus too. Me and some friends even invented a game called setka which is a combo of crosswords and sudoku (Setkagames.com, if anyone is interested).

I've found the challenge of writing crossword clues to be more interesting but also 10x more difficult than answering them.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:47 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,663,780 times
Spend some time here: Hilbert Space Explorer Home Page and here: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Old 12-06-2019, 06:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Robin View Post
Do you play online games? I play Words With Friends (similar to scrabble) ~ spending more time online than I should. But, it is educational, right
when it was facebook scrabble I was addicted to it for 3 years...….but, I was also rated by points in the top 10 players out of millions in north America..

what ive learned since....is many use word generators and board generators....to maximize ..scores

when it changed …..the old scrabble format....I didn't like it and lost some interest

Old 12-06-2019, 08:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,255,233 times
Smile Found some good ideas here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
This place won’t help you.
I love to play games. Also cards. Used to play Words with Friends all the time (thanks for the reminder!)
and Sudoku.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:02 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Robin View Post
Do you play online games? I play Words With Friends (similar to scrabble) ~ spending more time online than I should. But, it is educational, right
I play online slots (No, I play for free, I'd never buy from them)
I play Yachty (Yahtzee knock off)
I read (various books, non and religious)
Sometimes word games....

Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 AM

11,143 posts, read 9,784,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
when it was facebook scrabble I was addicted to it for 3 years...….but, I was also rated by points in the top 10 players out of millions in north America..

what ive learned since....is many use word generators and board generators....to maximize ..scores

when it changed …..the old scrabble format....I didn't like it and lost some interest
I play the "Classic Words" app on my phone or tablet. It's exactly the same board and rules as the board game. It's free in the Google Play store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement