Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times

Advertisements

Just a few cosmetic things that needed to be done anyway.

Almost all done now.

Just a few phone calls, set up appointments and work is getting done.

Actually, I'm relieved - I was almost scared to start it and now,it's at least better than it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,872 times
My wife's daughter from college. it's OK -- she just eats Ramen noodles, and will spend the whole time in her room on her phone.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:09 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
A new toilet and towels? My mother would have told me to step off. She was was from England, so that made sense.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times
Smile All done now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A new toilet and towels? My mother would have told me to step off. She was was from England, so that made sense.
The house needed it. It was time for the towels. My kids used them in HS and that started in 1999.

I'm good with work stuff but not so good with the house stuff.

So excited to have them here. That's the important part.

It's kind of like if your parents or in-laws were coming over - you'd be cleaning all day; well, this is like that!

Old 12-06-2019, 05:31 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

It's kind of like if your parents or in-laws were coming over - you'd be cleaning all day; well, this is like that!
No, I won't.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:25 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
The house needed it. It was time for the towels. My kids used them in HS and that started in 1999.

This is not about me, rather you. You sound like a phenomenal person and mom, just someone who needs a little nudge now and again. What I would have done as a surprise for my mom, I would have have had the list done for my her and solicited her input on colors etc. Sorry, if I sounded harsh earlier, but you are not a doormat for her inexcusable list of demands. Enjoy your visit.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:43 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is not about me, rather you. You sound like a phenomenal person and mom, just someone who needs a little nudge now and again. What I would have done as a surprise for my mom, I would have have had the list done for my her and solicited her input on colors etc. Sorry, if I sounded harsh earlier, but you are not a doormat for her inexcusable list of demands. Enjoy your visit.
I think most of us were “off-put” by the daughter’s demands, and surprised at Bette’s self deprecation. Her daughter is young and sounds easily embarrassed. Remodeling is a stressful chore, costs more and takes longer than expected.

I think Bette is doing an amazing job, while working full time, after years of doing for others, putting herself last. She was fixing up her home as she could pay cash, so that she would have a paid for, updated home in retirement. Hopefully this demand list and expense won’t cause her to go into too much debt. She has been frugal, now she needs to be kinder to herself, in my opinion.

I agree that the daughter should have gifted, as in already sent towels and bath rug. Would have been a thoughtful Christmas present. Any time we stay with friends or family, we take a gift and treat them to several meals out.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:45 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:

That's true. Oh, no, there are finger prints on the refrigerator!

Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cannot imagine any guest, family member or not, sending a list of home improvements. Obviously if the toilet is not functional, then it needs to be replaced. If the guests want new rugs, new towels and "stuff like that", I would recommend they stay elsewhere or bring their own stuff.

I refused to stay with my in-laws until two repairs to the house were made. First, they needed to replace the flooring around the toilet in the only bathroom in the house as the wood was completely rotten. I was afraid that I would fall through the floor as it was that bad. Second, the ceiling above the bed that we slept in was losing plaster due to a roof leak. My FIL did not want to do either as "it really wasn't necessary" over his daughter's objections.

I was more than content to stay at LaQuinta (TV, internet access, good food nearby, etc.) and drop by a couple of hours a day rather than staying with them.

The old man finally relented and his carpenter friends come in and make the repairs.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:48 PM

7,153 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Have a great time with your kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement