Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 08:39 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,607,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We did primary first . When that went through we did spousal
"When that went through" does this mean after primary received first benefit check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 08:41 AM

106,765 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
"When that went through" does this mean after primary received first benefit check?
I waited until we got the confirmation letter that all was set

Old 11-23-2019, 09:15 AM

7,521 posts, read 13,639,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Is the non-working spouse's 50% taken from the working spouses contributions?
No.

Here is what SSA says at
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/yourspouse.html

"Benefits paid to your spouse will not decrease your retirement benefit."

BTW, benefits are not based on "contributions" ( aka payroll taxes). They are based on a 35 year average of highest wages earned (up to the annual maximum).

Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
My wife and I have decided collecting SS at 62 makes the most sense for our personal financial situation and financial goals. I turn 62 in about 7 months. I was thinking to set an appointment with SSA and getting things started at about six months before I plan to collect.

I have 35+ years employment, but my wife does not qualify on her own, so she will need to file for and collect spouse benefits - nothing real complex or unusual as far as I am aware from a filing/collecting standpoint.

For those that have been through the process, is that (6 months out) too early, to late, or just right? Anything you "wish you knew" about the process before filing and claiming benefits?
If your wife did not earn enough to collect on her own, does she still collect benefits? How much and how does that work?

I have never heard of this.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If your wife did not earn enough to collect on her own, does she still collect benefits? How much and how does that work?

Yes she collects up to half her husbands full retirement age amount as long as she is full retirement age herself ..otherwise she gets a reduced amount

Old 11-23-2019, 07:02 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,191 times
Quote:
does your wife have an earnings record of her own ?
if she has no earnings record at all then it is a different story but if she worked and has a minimum qualification , she must take her own first . then a reduced spousal benefit will get added since she is filling before fra.

if you both file early and she has no earnings record of her own then you both get reduced benefits as per this chart
keep in mind she does not get half your fra amount in that case .

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/earlyretire.html
She has about 6-7 years total earnings, almost all from before our marriage. About half of that is part time work. I understood you needed a minimum of 10 years or 40 quarters to qualify for SS, so I believe she will be claiming spousal benefits on my account, and her earnings record won't be a factor - although, I hadn't thought of her earnings being a potential issue.

I am aware of the deduct for her benefit as well as mine, and that is factored in, but thanks for the mention, because had I not known, that could have been a huge planning issue.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:09 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,191 times
Quote:

It is a spousal benefit. it is 50% of my benefit. So if my benefit is $1,000, the spousal benefit paid to her is $500. There are rules and regulations about how long you need to married, how multiple spouses (divorces) are considered, whether your spouse has their own earnings record, among other things.

Also, as I understand it, if I predecease her, she loses the $500 additional benefit, but gets paid $1000 (my SS rate).

Old 11-23-2019, 10:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:
Yes she collects up to half her husbands full retirement age amount as long as she is full retirement age herself ..otherwise she gets a reduced amount
Thank you for answering. So, if the wife has worked, but not enough to collect on her own, does she receive more than a woman who never worked at all?

Old 11-23-2019, 10:53 PM

732 posts, read 604,573 times
Quote:
Thank you for answering. So, if the wife has worked, but not enough to collect on her own, does she receive more than a woman who never worked at all?
I worked but not as much as my husband as I had years as a stay at home mom, also did not earn as much as my husband in the years I did work. So my spousal benefit will be what I get from my own work record, plus a spousal addition that will bring my total monthly benefit up to 1/2 of my husband's.

If I didn't work at all, my spousal benefit would still be 1/2 of my husband's.

So, in this kind of comparison, the answer is no. Just because I worked some I will not be getting a higher benefit as a spouse than I would have gotten had I not worked at all if I am also drawing as my husband's spouse.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
no , spousal can never get more than their spouses half fra amount when combined.

at full retirement age if the wife's record is low she will get enough of a spousal adder to bring her up to the same 50% of the higher earners full retirement amount.

on the other hand a woman who never married long enough or never worked gets nothing.

it really is an unfair system to singles .

the social security system should be like pensions are . if you want it to extend to a spouse you need to opt for a lower benefit payout yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement