Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 11:09 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we never met with ss . it is very easy to do on line
Agree ... that's how went did it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Both of these posts make no sense. Mrs5150 and myself were never asked these questions online nor at the SS office.
I did encounter similar questions when applying online. The address one did throw me, as we owned property for rental, but actually had never lived there.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm not sure who i would trust more with this, an employee sitting at the SS office or an online website.....probably the online website in case the employee is having a bad day.
I finally caved and chose the employee when I realized my frozen credit account was not allowing me to set up my online account three years ago. I was expecting all sorts of bureaucratic hurdles when I went in person to our SS office. Imagine my surprise when I learned the SS employee had immediate access to my frozen credit account, after verifying my identity. He set up my online account for me in 10 minutes. I had wasted so much time online and on the phone trying to fix the problem between SS and the credit bureau.

I recently applied online for benefits to start at FRA next year. A few pages of questions to answer and approved in 10 days.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-22-2019 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-22-2019, 11:54 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
90 days.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
I tried doing it online but it would not complete my application.
I went in and an employee helped me and managed to force the computer to Finnish my application after asking for help from a supervisor.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:21 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Questions come from the Equifax credit report

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Two questions that I remember:
  1. What Credit Card did you receive in November of 2002? Realize the timing of me creating my on-line SSA Account was Spring of 2017 or 2018, roughly 15 years after the specified month. I knew the name/brand of the card.
  2. Did you ever live at such and such address in Gainesville FL? I have never lived anywhere outside of Michigan but our oldest did live in Gainesville from mid-2004 thru mid-2007, the first 12-18 months of which was the final year of his Car Loan for which I was a co-signer, and the address was markedly similar if not identical to his address. Luckily my wife never deletes out-dated addresses from her Address Book so I was able to confirm the address given was an intentional tweak of his real former address, i.e. 23 24th Street versus 24 23rd Street, or insanely similar. So the correct response was a NO response, but not for the easy reason.
Before applying on-line, get a copy of your Equifax credit report. Most of the questions come from there.

Look in the identification section. You will find old addresses and phone numbers.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:24 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,118 times
Thanks all. I do have a SS online account already set up. I will use that at 3 months out. Will my wife need to set up her own account, or can she apply for spousal benefits through my account?

Old 11-22-2019, 12:30 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
My wife and I have decided collecting SS at 62 makes the most sense for our personal financial situation and financial goals. I turn 62 in about 7 months. I was thinking to set an appointment with SSA and getting things started at about six months before I plan to collect.

I have 35+ years employment, but my wife does not qualify on her own, so she will need to file for and collect spouse benefits - nothing real complex or unusual as far as I am aware from a filing/collecting standpoint.

For those that have been through the process, is that (6 months out) too early, to late, or just right? Anything you "wish you knew" about the process before filing and claiming benefits?
You can start any time to find out about your & spouse benefits. Remember the SSA estimates may not be accurate. It will update in 6 months or whenever work ends. Best to find out how the system works now. Your spouse will also need to be 62+ to collect benefits. You need to know Full Retirement Age, FRA. You may find it is better to work 4-5 years to be 66-67 to get 100% of your benefit then. You may find spouse will get more benefit later. At 65 Medicare kicks in & you will have medical decisions to make.

Don't know where you work or bank so that you can find other retirement planners & not depend so much on SSA. When it comes to spouse benefits SSA may not get it correct. The retirement planner can work with SSA earning records. Then you can determine how SS works with pension, 401k, or other funds you have.

Last edited by GWoodle; 11-22-2019 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-22-2019, 12:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,653 times
Remember that if your wife starts her spousal benefits at 62 - it will be way less than half of your full retirement benefit.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Both of these posts make no sense. Mrs5150 and myself were never asked these questions online nor at the SS office.
You get the questions when setting up the online account. Not when applying for benefits. If you already had the account online from a number of years ago, you don't get the questions. It is a relatively new thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement