Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 57,457,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Two questions that I remember:
  1. What Credit Card did you receive in November of 2002? Realize the timing of me creating my on-line SSA Account was Spring of 2017 or 2018, roughly 15 years after the specified month. I knew the name/brand of the card.
  2. Did you ever live at such and such address in Gainesville FL? I have never lived anywhere outside of Michigan but our oldest did live in Gainesville from mid-2004 thru mid-2007, the first 12-18 months of which was the final year of his Car Loan for which I was a co-signer, and the address was markedly similar if not identical to his address. Luckily my wife never deletes out-dated addresses from her Address Book so I was able to confirm the address given was an intentional tweak of his real former address, i.e. 23 24th Street versus 24 23rd Street, or insanely similar. So the correct response was a NO response, but not for the easy reason.

What in the devil does this have to do with qualifying to draw SS?

I have no damned idea when I received most of my credit cards. The Discover has on it "Member since 19XX" so I know when I got that.

Any idea why they would ask this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 02:13 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,317,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
My wife and I have decided collecting SS at 62 makes the most sense for our personal financial situation and financial goals. I turn 62 in about 7 months. I was thinking to set an appointment with SSA and getting things started at about six months before I plan to collect.

I have 35+ years employment, but my wife does not qualify on her own, so she will need to file for and collect spouse benefits - nothing real complex or unusual as far as I am aware from a filing/collecting standpoint.

For those that have been through the process, is that (6 months out) too early, to late, or just right? Anything you "wish you knew" about the process before filing and claiming benefits?
So your wife can collect benefits even though not a widow and didn't contribute?

Old 11-22-2019, 02:15 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,317,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we never met with ss . it is very easy to do on line
It is I think for most. I however there apparently was some small question about my date of birth. 30 years as a govt employee, top secret clearance and it was the first I ever heard about it.
I had to go in and show them a drivers license and bring a and show a notorized birth certificate.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:19 PM

17,273 posts, read 57,457,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So your wife can collect benefits even though not a widow and didn't contribute?

As I understand it, when the "qualified" spouse starts SS, if the non-working spouse is at least 62 at that point, the non-working spouse gets 50% of what the qualified, working spouse draws.

I may be wrong about that, though.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:28 PM

20,711 posts, read 16,635,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What in the devil does this have to do with qualifying to draw SS?

I have no damned idea when I received most of my credit cards. The Discover has on it "Member since 19XX" so I know when I got that.

Any idea why they would ask this?
Not to QUALIFY for SS, but to prove your identity.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:36 PM

6,692 posts, read 7,483,801 times
If it is convinent go in 6 months and make sure your understanding is correct. I think you can do everything online but as mentioned 3 months out is when you can sign up.

My concern is I do not know if your wife can qualify for 50% of your SS until you are at your full retirement age.
Also you have to file for medicare part A at 65.
Be sure to discuss medicare part B etc in your meeting. You will can not sign up until your FRA. Also make sure you understand the term creditable health insurance.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,884,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we never met with ss . it is very easy to do on line
^^^^^^^^^This

Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 PM

793 posts, read 664,066 times
I was about to add how easy it was to do online... I submitted my own application online about 5 weeks ago.

I would have been premature to post that. Just a couple hours ago I got a call from social security about my application with some incredibly nit-picky issues related to some part-time hourly low-paid clerical work I did temporarily in the 1981. Now after a dozen calls to sometimes surly office workers trying to get the information soc. sec. wants related to that work, I can see this will only be resolved after some lengthy process of trying to get written documentation from ancient data crypts.

Further mucking up the works is the fact that my husband and I just sold our house and are about to leave (tomorrow!) on an extended long-planned road trip and I don't even have a mailing address to call my own. So all this written documentation won't be coming directly to me anyway... setting up the need for mail forwarding and all the reliability that comes with that. (Very little.) And soc. sec. gave me a very tight time window in which to get this all done.

A little taste of what's to come? I called an office that should have the employment records soc. sec. wants (after great difficulty getting the proper contact/dept/extension) and a woman on the other end of the line was irritated that I was calling for this info (Social Security TOLD me I had to call them for it.) She said, "Why are YOU calling us. We can't give you that information. Social Security should be the one contacting us!"

I can see this is going to be a giant unpleasant hassle for weeks to come.

So... yeah, I'm going to hold off on that comment about how easy it all is.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:10 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,087,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I was about to add how easy it was to do online... I submitted my own application online about 5 weeks ago.

I would have been premature to post that. Just a couple hours ago I got a call from social security about my application with some incredibly nit-picky issues related to some part-time hourly low-paid clerical work I did temporarily in the 1981. Now after a dozen calls to sometimes surly office workers trying to get the information soc. sec. wants related to that work, I can see this will only be resolved after some lengthy process of trying to get written documentation from ancient data crypts.

Further mucking up the works is the fact that my husband and I just sold our house and are about to leave (tomorrow!) on an extended long-planned road trip and I don't even have a mailing address to call my own. So all this written documentation won't be coming directly to me anyway... setting up the need for mail forwarding and all the reliability that comes with that. (Very little.) And soc. sec. gave me a very tight time window in which to get this all done.

A little taste of what's to come? I called an office that should have the employment records soc. sec. wants (after great difficulty getting the proper contact/dept/extension) and a woman on the other end of the line was irritated that I was calling for this info (Social Security TOLD me I had to call them for it.) She said, "Why are YOU calling us. We can't give you that information. Social Security should be the one contacting us!"

I can see this is going to be a giant unpleasant hassle for weeks to come.

So... yeah, I'm going to hold off on that comment about how easy it all is.
If it really was a small amount, can you tell Social Security to ignore it? Not count it in their calculation? It probably won't affect your benefit payment very much anyway.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:02 PM

793 posts, read 664,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If it really was a small amount, can you tell Social Security to ignore it? Not count it in their calculation? It probably won't affect your benefit payment very much anyway.
Yeah, that was my thought, but the soc. sec. case worker said that if they do that they are obliged to enter the maximum effect it could possibly have (he said something about having to put "9999" into the computer calculation). In my case it would reduce my benefit by almost 1/3 each month. Which is mind-boggling given how low-paying and short term the actual job was. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement