Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 AM

588 posts, read 463,036 times

Advertisements

I was unable to find employment in my field as a paralegal and quite frankly I did not want to go back into that field at 58 now 61 almost. I part time as a restaurant hostess and with my savings I can live off the dividends, part time work and prayer. I live very frugally.

The joker in the deck is debt and how much you need (not want) to live until you can collect SS, which unemployment benefits plus Obama Care until you can hit your full retirement benefit in one year. With unemployment you can work but they will recalculate your benefit so be careful with that working part time while on unemployment.

It really begs the question...could you just retire and take on part time gigs as they come along. As of 2016 and you hit your SS retirement age you can work all you want. Not so much before. I will be taking SS at 62 because I have too. I must be careful not to work over something like $15500 or close or SS starts taking my benefits away. I doubt very much I will make $15500 or close so I am good to go.

Good luck to you...the tax idea is a good one. Plus temp agencies. Just be careful as to how that will affect your unemployment benefits.

TMKSarah
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
Run for President!!!!! Lololol

Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Accounting is notorious for wanting younger personnel in accounting firms.

I was in my current place for TWO weeks before two people approached me to work with them during tax season. There are any number of sole practitioners and small local firms looking for retired CPAs to help in their tax and business consulting businesses. I chose NOT to pursue a position as the time that my services would be most needed - January to April - is the high season and I have too many fun things to do.

The large accounting firms have been outsourcing much of their work to India and low-cost centers in Europe. It had been 4-5 years since I had an financial audit in the United States staffed by US nationals. No, the last two times I have been audited it was by a Irish manager, a Serbian senior and a young kid just out of college.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
It all depends on your skill set and experience.

For over 40 years I've designed fire sprinkler systems in every type building you can imagine in an industry that is very heavily regulated by both state fire marshal's and the insurance industry.

In this industry there's been a severe shortage of qualified people for 30 years and it is only getting worse. To give you an idea how bad it is the median age of all everyone on the registry holding the minimum certification to get a license is 56 years old. For the highest level of certification, required on federal and Department of Defense projects, the median age is 62. 76% of our certificate holders are over 45 years old so in our industry ageism, and age discrimination, doesn't exist. Some idiot manager wants to bring up age he's liable to get hit with a walker.

To keep my mind and skill set active I don't plan to "retire" retire but find a small company that can provide 8 to 16 hours work a week real work that I can do from my house at my leisure.

What money I earn will be extra and is not figured in the budget because who knows how long I will be able to do it? Oh, I do know a guy in Memphis that did what I do who finally retired last year at 82.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
How easy it to get a part time job when you are 65. I am not a CPA but have had accounting jobs in companies for the past 30 years. I was going to retire at 66 so I was going to test market for Part time bookkeeping jobs. Today at age 65 I just lost my job. So again do employers hire people 65 for part time jobs. w have you found the market for part time jobs.
Please accept my best wishes for a rapid restoration to calm and for the wind to be at your back.

My company is being dismantled and sold off, piece by piece. The clock doth ticketh for more than a few of us, at least those of us who have not been "right-sized" already. You've got plenty of company, and a community here from which to draw ideas etc.

My company had a wholesale housecleaning in its Finance and Acctg arm after the first dismantling. I subsequently saw quite a few Accountants in the local Career Network Ministry meetings, where I volunteer. The two who got income coming in fastest knew some small biz accounting software (?QuickBooks? The step up from QuickBooks? I dunno). Submariner has gone through the entire IRS curriculum on tax prep, which he sez is available online. I'm thinking one way to keep your fingers in the pie while you're looking is to do something like that - become an expert in the IRS coursework.

I wish I'd thought to ask him online. Is there any path to becoming an Enrolled Agent from where you stand? Always a demand for Enrolled Agents. You could hang up a shingle and advertise through your local Chamber of Commerce, Lions Club, Kiwanis, whatever. If you are not a member of civic groups, time to get involved is now!

Wish I could help more, Acctg not my field. Best wishes to you.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
I know plenty of people that need bookkeepers

Old 09-19-2016, 09:06 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Easy.. Walt Disney company

Its living closeby that's the rub

Old 09-21-2016, 06:59 AM

9 posts, read 10,253 times
I found a job at enterprise rent a car. they hire mostly retired people to act as drivers. Try rental places and auto dealerships as courtesy drivers.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:54 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It all depends on your skill set and experience.

For over 40 years I've designed fire sprinkler systems in every type building you can imagine in an industry that is very heavily regulated by both state fire marshal's and the insurance industry.

In this industry there's been a severe shortage of qualified people for 30 years and it is only getting worse. To give you an idea how bad it is the median age of all everyone on the registry holding the minimum certification to get a license is 56 years old. For the highest level of certification, required on federal and Department of Defense projects, the median age is 62. 76% of our certificate holders are over 45 years old so in our industry ageism, and age discrimination, doesn't exist. Some idiot manager wants to bring up age he's liable to get hit with a walker.

To keep my mind and skill set active I don't plan to "retire" retire but find a small company that can provide 8 to 16 hours work a week real work that I can do from my house at my leisure.

What money I earn will be extra and is not figured in the budget because who knows how long I will be able to do it? Oh, I do know a guy in Memphis that did what I do who finally retired last year at 82.

Can you go to school to get certified in this field?

Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Can you go to school to get certified in this field?
school and certification (continuing ed + work experience) is one alternative.

I have been a member here for the last 40 yrs...
Home - NICET Main

nicet4 may have trod a different path.
a retired family member does the soil technologist version for qualifying underground Natural Gas installations. It is a great consulting gig that gets him outdoors (+/- during blizzards and such )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement