Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 12:52 AM

15 posts, read 51,505 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: I know there are other threads on the whole "I need a job, help!" thing, but I'd rather not hijack someone else's thread for my benefit.

My college roommate and I have both dropped out of school for personal reasons and moved back in with our parents. We both love Portland, and are planning a long-term move to the area (as in, December 2011). The only issue with the move is that we know how notoriously difficult the job market is out there - for professional jobs, though. We'll have enough saved up for a year's worth of living expenses, moving expenses and to properly furnish a place, but we'd love to avoid dipping into our savings as much as possible. We'll both be attending school (first at PCC, then PSU), and just want a non-professional, part-time gig to pay the rent - someplace like Starbucks or a bookstore would be perfect.

So, just how difficult is it to get a job like that? I know that where I am now (Syracuse, NY) the economy is in the toilet (hasn't it been that way here for about 30 years?), but I could still waltz into a Blockbuster or a grocery store and get hired in a few weeks' time, like I did when I moved home. Could I do the same thing in Portland?

I'd like to apologize for adding yet another job-related thread to the forum, but as I said, I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, and I'm not asking about the professional job market. I'd also like to thank anybody that responds in advance! I can't wait to get out there and get my life jumpstarted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:22 AM

639 posts, read 1,600,594 times
My understanding is that the opposite is true: it's the low-level "unskilled labor" jobs that are the hardest to come by. For example, if Walmart (or any chain store) were to advertise a few job openings literally hundreds and hundreds of people come out to apply.

I think the most employable person in Portland today is someone with some specialized skill (like phlebotomist) and about 1-2 years of experience (enough experience to know how to do the job well, but not so much that they'd require a better pay).

In fact, many cities have vocational colleges nearby where a young person such as yourself could acquire such a skill before moving.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,364,398 times
Just as an anecdote, I walked into my local Albertson's yesterday and they had a sign in the door advertising a part time job at the in-store Starbucks. I have no idea how many applicants they had.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,916,012 times
The Starbucks in Laurelhurst had a sign as well. The website also lists jobs and the last time I looked, there were several listed in PDX area. You aren't moving until next year though. Good that you are researching now. You could always set up an informational interview with a mgr in your area and maybe go for a supervisor job. The company is supposed to be good one to work for. Portland has many independent coffee houses and food carts are in abundance. There are even coffee "food carts" in the pod areas. We have many options. I will ask, "do you have experience in the coffee business or food business?". I ask because Portland is basically the foodie Capitol of the country and most of your customers/ guests will have a great deal of knowledge about the product you sell and if you work in a coffee house here, I am sure you will be required to have at least the same amount of knowledge. Start brushing up on your coffee bean varietals!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
My understanding is that the opposite is true: it's the low-level "unskilled labor" jobs that are the hardest to come by. For example, if Walmart (or any chain store) were to advertise a few job openings literally hundreds and hundreds of people come out to apply.

I think the most employable person in Portland today is someone with some specialized skill (like phlebotomist) and about 1-2 years of experience (enough experience to know how to do the job well, but not so much that they'd require a better pay).

In fact, many cities have vocational colleges nearby where a young person such as yourself could acquire such a skill before moving.
Rose absolutely hit the nail on the head. And believe me I speak from experience. One thing that may work for you though, a friend of mine moved from Portland to Vegas. She had a great job at Universal's "Star Trek Experience" until it shut down.

She then got a job at Las Vegas Wal-Mart. When she decided to move back to the Portland area she was able to secure a job transfer to a Vancouver WA store with no trouble because she was already an employee of Wally's. So maybe you could find work at Wal-Mart or similar place where you are and then put in for a transfer. In really helps to have an "in" to get a job in Portland and this could do it for you.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

She then got a job at Las Vegas Wal-Mart. When she decided to move back to the Portland area she was able to secure a job transfer to a Vancouver WA store with no trouble because she was already an employee of Wally's. So maybe you could find work at Wal-Mart or similar place where you are and then put in for a transfer. In really helps to have an "in" to get a job in Portland and this could do it for you.
That's great advice!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,631,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
That's great advice!
Ditto. That may be an "in" for a lot of people who are considering a move to Portland. Get a job where you live with a national chain, then get a transfer!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 AM

That's how my husband and I are able to move there. We'll be there in 6 weeks, but if he didn't work for a company that he could transfer with, I don't think it ever would have happened.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,456,288 times
A friend of mine just opened a Cafe here in Portland. They needed one part timer, about 12 hours a week to cover weekend shifts. They got 800 applications. Even after weeding out those who were over qualified, they still had 500+. At that point they had wasted so much time that they randomly picked five out of the pile for an interview.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM

15 posts, read 51,505 times
Oh man. Thanks for all of the responses, guys! I guess we'll have to go with our plan B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: