Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 08:53 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,305,249 times

Advertisements

That is such a good one Kay. I can never remember people's names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 PM

133 posts, read 175,486 times
I actually have two superpowers: 1) can usually find something funny about any situation and 2) things usually work out for me as long as I keep my head in the sand.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Parallel parking.

I'm only average with straight in parking, but I can get any car into any parallel space.
I'm jealous too. I love this thread OP. It's so fun! Similarly, I am very jealous of people who can back trucks up with fully loaded trailers. I can hardly back up my tiny SUV. I'm a little disheartened by the replies in which people credit their superpowers to God, however. The thread is about your personal superpower, and not what God gives to posters. I truly hope each one of us feels we all have at least one gift we can take personal credit for learning or developing over the years.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:16 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,230,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Mine is bringing out the creativity (art, writing) in others, kids and adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Taking charge in crisis situations, pulling a game plan together of everything that has to be done, being really detail-oriented, thinking through all the "what-if" scenarios, not letting anything slip through the cracks.

Being a good conversationalist -- I can start a convo with anyone, always asking them about themselves and genuinely listening to their answers.
Decorating.
^^^These.
Including:
-being very good with directions (I can find my way in most cities even if I haven't been there for years,
except for 2).
-as others have mentioned, I will always listen.
-I can teach anyone to draw and learn ceramics.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,935,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The thread is about your personal superpower, and not what God gives to posters. I truly hope each one of us feels we all have at least one gift we can take personal credit for learning or developing over the years.
Scooby Snacks,

I agree with the second part but not the first part of your statement. There are many people born with special talents or abilities. Some genius attributes their talents to random lucky genes/DNAs. Some think their talents' are God's gifts. It's fun to read and learn about other people's talents whether they are natural or cultivated.

In my family, there are few who are quite gifted. One nephew has the 'perfect pitch' and grew up to be a gifted musician and now makes a living as a music teacher. My daughter is excellent in pattern recognition and a great puzzle solver. We could not find any tavern puzzles which she could not solve. It appears that she applies this skill to her current career as a vet. She loves performing surgeries and has successfully done many difficult cases. My youngest brother could be considered a genius with extremely high IQ (I don't remember the exact score but it was way above the top range of the Stanford-Binet IQ classification). He became a physician when he was 22 years old. He and another sister have graphic memory. I had pretty good memory in my younger days (could recite a long poem or a short story word by word after reading once and longer stories after reading twice). I never wrote things down but could remember details for many years. I had aced many exams by cramming at the last minutes relying on my near-graphic memory! This talent withers or diminishes as I get older and now I have to store information on computer hard drive instead of my brain!

I think that everybody has many gifts which came from lifelong learning and practice. We are never too old to learn. I am tone deaf and could hardly carry a tune. In cleaning out our bookcases (we took the content of 4 tall bookcases to the dump today!), I found several music books, sheet music and scores. I am saving them for learning in a near future after I have tackle piles of decade-old foreign languages cds - spanish, french, italian, chinese, japanese etc!. I guess that my main 'superpower' is my love of learning.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I listen.
You are close to unique.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,232,912 times
I fall asleep easily.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,874,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
I can turn red lights green just by staring at them.
Wow, I would love to have that. I always seem to do the opposite.

I have one regular and one eerie one. First, I am a great organizer. Not parties, but personal and household. When we were in the process of buying each of our last 2 houses I kept a notebook and could always find anything I needed pertaining the building of the house. They used to laugh about it, but they couldn't pull anything on me as I could pull out the info in a second. Same with things at home. I can find just about anything I, or DH, needs. I always get upset with DH when he doesn't put things back where I had them. I can picture when things need to be and how to organize everything...and make it logical!

Second, I have always seemed to have an ability to "sense" things. I can sense things about people and if they are good, honest or otherwise. DD thought it was creepy when I didn't like one of her friends or boyfriends and they ended up being not such a good person. When I was traveling a lot on business, I would get a bad feeling when on my way to the airport, and sure enough when I got there my plane would be cancelled or severely delayed. No cell phones in those days. Once when I was young and was at a company picnic I had a feeling that they were going to ask me to pick names for the doorprizes (they always picked out a different kid every year to do that). Mom told me to take my little cousin on the park rides and even though I asked her to please let me wait, she made me go. Sure enough they called my name and I wasn't there. There have been many of these "feelings" throughout my life.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
What is your superpower?

Well there's this little blue pill...

Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I fall asleep easily.
I'll trade my superpower and all my mini-powers for yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement