Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I'm a painter. I paint in watercolor and sell almost every painting as soon as it's completed.
I'd love to see your work! If you have a website can you DM me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:39 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
I'm very good at public speaking, and I've always enjoyed it. I'd much rather be talking to a large group of people than try to make conversation with one or two, especially if I don't know them.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
I'm good at accumulating news, financial, world, and local. I spend all day watching, reading, and deciphering the news. I'm good at "connecting the dots" of news stories. After collecting the news and connecting the dots then I attempt to perceive what this means going forward.

I can sometimes predict what will happen before it happens just based on the news of the past. This allows me to make well informed decisions.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Taking charge in crisis situations, pulling a game plan together of everything that has to be done, being really detail-oriented, thinking through all the "what-if" scenarios, not letting anything slip through the cracks.

Being a good conversationalist -- I can start a convo with anyone, always asking them about themselves and genuinely listening to their answers.

Decorating.

Good memory and powers of observation. Noticing details. Sometimes this ruins movie-watching for the people around me, LOL, say if I notice someone's hair looks different and it's still the same scene.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:12 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,774 times
I am a little old lady, but I have always been able to do crazy "Arnold Schwartzenegger, eat your heart out" moves with my pectoral muscles. EVEN after a double mastectomy.

I also seem to be good at comforting sad people. Not sure how, as I have terrible social skills and have no clue what to say or do, but people have always told me that I am good at it.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
I suppose that mine would be my Hyperlexia, a.k.a. precocious reading ability. It is, however, not without some disadvantages; it is almost 100% associated with Autism & is horribly distracting.

Mine is atypical in that it did not plateau after adolescence. Some of the “pro’s” are:

- Reading at the second grade level at age three.

- Reading at high-school graduate level before the end of the third grade.

- Testing at age 16 scored my level of reading comprehension to be in the top 2% of four-rear college graduates.

- Read the entire Bible (king-James version) in less than 4 days.

- Articles scored as “sixteen minutes to read” are read in about four minutes, “three minutes to read” take less than 60 seconds.
- Something new I just discovered this week while helping one of my teenagers with an assignment: A page on the FBI website regarding encrypted messages offers a “for fun “ encrypted message they state is the “hardest quiz so far” that they have offered.
I cracked it in less than two minutes. It was linked to a page regarding the 40+ year unsolved case of the “Zodiac Killer” & one of his 420 symbol un-cracked messages. It looked impossible at first but then I saw a pattern emerge but got too creeped out to apply it!

I’m fairly sure the FBI wouldn’t consider the hyperlexic abilities of a forty eight year old housewife as very useful but it’s as close to having a “superpower” as I am going to get!

Old 12-31-2015, 06:42 AM

536 posts, read 845,540 times
Sometimes I think it's my stubbornness.

I have twice stubbornly refused to die on schedule, and once I love a person, I will persist no matter what. (I am pretty choosy about liking or loving people, but once I make a choice, I stick by it.)

Librarians rock! Love the posts here about finding things.

Robert Heinlein, the sf writer, once said that "library science is the foundation of all sciences just as math is the key -- and we will survive or founder, depending on how well the librarians do their jobs."

Old 12-31-2015, 07:01 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
I can write through my feelings and let go. I can walk through my feelings and figure things out. I can still type over 80 wpm but why, what's the hurry? Oh, and I can 'leap tall buildings in a single bound'.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:10 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,218 times
I can draw anything though I never followed an artistic career path. I can organize and simplify any mess. I can intuit people and situations. That's all.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
There are a lot of talented people here. I am not one of them.

The only claim to fame is I have survived this far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement