Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM

14,414 posts, read 14,334,102 times

Advertisements

My wife's new position is head of a senior center. Where we live Senior Services are administered by the local health department. I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer a few questions for me:

1. Have you ever been to a senior center for an activity?

2. If not, can you ever imagine going there? Why or why not?

3. Is there anything that could persuade you to go to the Senior Center? If so, what?

4. What types of activities at the center strike you as the most interesting?

(A) Guest speakers

(B) Musical performances.

(C) Arts and Crafts.

(D) Just general opportunities to socialize and talk with others.

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc.

(F) Other (describe)

5. Would the fact that a meal is served at the center make any difference to you?

6. Would free transportation to and from the center influence your decision to attend at all?

7. Has anyone in your family ever regularly attended a senior center? Does this fact influence you at all?

8. What statement best describes your view of senior centers:

A. I like the Senior Center and sometimes attend.

B. The Senior Center may be good for some seniors, it is not for me.

C. Senior Centers are a waste of tax dollars and should be eliminated.

D. I have gone, on occasion, to an activity at a center, but it is not something I will ever do regularly.

E. Senior Centers may have served a purpose at one time, but do not fit the needs of the elderly population today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
One of my pet peeves and I'm glad someone cares enough to ask. I have gone to three different ones and was very disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My wife's new position is head of a senior center. Where we live Senior Services are administered by the local health department. I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer a few questions for me:

Yes.

3. Is there anything that could persuade you to go to the Senior Center? If so, what?
Interesting activities.

(A) Guest speakers XXXXXXXXXX

(B) Musical performances. XXX

(C) Arts and Crafts. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX--but REAL drawing and painting classes. Not paint by number or any other dumbed down craft work. Bead craft. Writing. Book discussion.

(D) Just general opportunities to socialize and talk with others. XXX

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc. X

(F) Other (describe) Any chance to learn new things. Classes to take. Ours does have Yoga but it's at 9am--good for some people, not good for someone who is not a morning person. It's okay, I guess--but I go to the Y instead.

5. Would the fact that a meal is served at the center make any difference to you?
[COLOR="Green"] Yes, but ours has terrible meals brought in from somewhere. All canned horrible food. Nothing fresh or healthy[/color]

6. Would free transportation to and from the center influence your decision to attend at all?
No.

7. Has anyone in your family ever regularly attended a senior center? Does this fact influence you at all?
My mother and father had a great senior center with speakers coming in, travelogues, talks on consumer protection, etc. The seniors themselves elected other members to be the heads of the committees. Yes, their great experiences inspired me to go but I was always disappointed by the low level activities. (bead stringing, bingo, a few people playing cards) Isn't there anything else?

D. I have gone, on occasion, to an activity at a center, but it is not something I will ever do regularly.

E. Senior Centers may have served a purpose at one time, but do not fit the needs of the elderly population today.
X They COULD fit if they would get up to date. Have something that is intellectually challenging and interesting, not just card playing or hanging around or playing shuffleboard or bingo. Ours had ONE program that was good--the place was packed too. It was a speaker who is the caretaker for the John Greenleaf Whittier Homestead. He was entertaining, interesting, showed pictures, read poetry.
also, ours plays music from the 40s and 50s--my parents' music. Makes me sad rather than happy. I like cards but they have a choice of Bridge or Hearts. My suggestions for some other card games were ignored. What about a few board games? How about a ping pong table (or is that a stupid idea? They ignored it.) Another thing--ours has long tables and folding chairs--if only they could have cozy sitting areas with easy chairs and coffee tables with magazines, like home. One center did have this--and newspapers and a puzzle all set up.

Just look at all the different topics in this forum--speakers coming in to discuss these topics--like cleaning out, preserving old photos, where to live, safety in the home, slide shows of local attractions that we might not be aware of but could visit on our own, talks on the history of the town, talks about new hobby possibilities, about volunteer opportunities. ETC.)

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-21-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,604,222 times
1. Not yet.

2. Yes. I'm an uber-introvert, but even people like me need some socializing. If I ever find myself alone, this seems like a good opportunity to be social when and if I want. Even before I'm alone, if I find myself bored and looking for something to occupy my time, I'd certainly look into it.

3. Anything that interests me that isn't available anywhere else.

(A) Guest speakers - maybe, if they're good and I'm interested in what they're talking about

(B) Musical performances. - maybe, if they're good

(C) Arts and Crafts. - probably

(D) Just general opportunities to socialize and talk with others. - yes, that would be my primary purpose

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc. - maybe, if they're to a place I want to go

(F) Other (describe) - classes and lessons. Nothing too formal, because "work" will be no longer in my vocabulary. :-)

5. Yes. I don't like to cook, it's difficult to cook for one, and it would be wonderful to have a healthy alternative.

6. It would make me more likely to visit.

7. Not that I know of.

F. Senior Centers can be valuable places for some people. Not for everyone.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,037,294 times
1. Have you ever been to a senior center for an activity? only with my grandma as a child

2. If not, can you ever imagine going there? Why or why not? yes, when I retire in 3 years I look forward to being able to go.

3. Is there anything that could persuade you to go to the Senior Center? If so, what? Interesting guest speakers, activities and causes and a great lunch.

(A) Guest speakers yes, ones that tell about the general area, travel, new laws that affect seniors, etc--a wide variety of speakers on many subjects,

(B) Musical performances. yes, but not at the center, but going as a group to a local production. I would think that the senior center would not have very good sound.

(C) Arts and Crafts. yes, not children's, but adult--quilting, beading, ceramics, etc.

(D) Just general opportunities to socialize and talk with others. yes

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc. yes

(F) Other (describe) 'causes'--the local senior center near me has several groups that support causes. They operate a thrift store and use the money from the thrift store to support their lunches with the rest going to 'causes' They have a group that supports a disadvantaged school--providing extra tutoring through the seniors, and buying coats, gloves and hats for the students that need them and can not afford them. They have an honor library at the center and some folks keep the books organized and replenish them with new ones of interest to seniors. They actually have more best sellers than the public library. They sponsor scouts troops. Assist with parades and fairs--in person and by buying prizes. hey have a group that runs the thrift shop. What ever a group of the seniors think is a good cause they set up a group that is open to anyone to join.

Would the fact that a meal is served at the center make any difference to you? yes, the center by my home actually caters food from a local restaurant. Its freshly made, excellent quality and nutritionally balanced--with enough that many seniors take half home for dinner. The money from the thrift store pays for the lunches, in part. Oh and lunch is one time a week.

6. Would free transportation to and from the center influence your decision to attend at all? That is helpful for many. Our center also has meals on wheels where they deliver lunches to those that can not come into the center.

7. Has anyone in your family ever regularly attended a senior center? Does this fact influence you at all? MY grandma went all the time. She loved the trips.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM

44,645 posts, read 61,677,004 times
I don't go anymore, too many cranky old people.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,841,875 times
I'm only 73. If I get to be 93, maybe I will be interested in playing Bingo or doing chair exercises with a bunch of old geezers.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,064,511 times
1. Have you ever been to a senior center for an activity? No

2. If not, can you ever imagine going there? Why or why not? Can't say 'never', but as of now, the sr centers in my area aren't that big of a draw.

3. Is there anything that could persuade you to go to the Senior Center? If so, what? May depend on activities. . . as reflected in Question 4.

(A) Guest speakers

(C) Arts and Crafts.

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc. This would be of interest to me; one day trips though, not overnight.

(F) Other (describe)

5. Would the fact that a meal is served at the center make any difference to you? No

6. Would free transportation to and from the center influence your decision to attend at all? No

7. Has anyone in your family ever regularly attended a senior center? Does this fact influence you at all? No, and No

8. What statement best describes your view of senior centers: Elderly who want to socialize

Not sure if this is true, but have heard from those who have attended that many times there are close-knit cliques and newbies aren't that welcome (would hate to believe it's true).

Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,137,271 times
I have not ever been however there is one just down the street from where our retirement home is and I DO expect to be using it, socializing, interesting classes, meals and trips are some of the things I would be interested in, all handicap accessible of course.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,553,433 times
My community has a great Sr Center. They offer all kinds of things for different interests. Some people go every day just to meet a group and play cards and socialize. Others take classes that are available such as Yoga, Zumba, staying fit on the exersize equipment. One of the groups is the "history buffs" that invites speakers in about the history of our area and state. There is a weekly lunch that is prepared for members and there is a fee for that. The first 40 tickets sold get to have the lunch on Wednesday. There are trips available for a very modest price. Some go to summer theater, some to the coast and a few are at a lodge for overnight at a place in the Northern part of the state. There is also a small library at the center. At least once a year they put on a good play and sell tickets to the general public to help with finances to sustain the center. In the summer there is a gardening group that grows veggies on the roof top garden.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 01-21-2014 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,514,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

(A) Guest speakers

(C) Arts and Crafts.

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc.

(F) Other (describe)

I have actually been the entertainment. I feel senior centers are very necessary for our elders.
Free transportation is important, some get this meal as their best one of the day.
Socialization excellent.
Our senior centers are hotbeds of activity; most enjoy them and learn new things daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement