Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 AM

419 posts, read 758,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
E. Senior Centers may have served a purpose at one time, but do not fit the needs of the elderly population today. This one. They are still primarily catering to The Greatest Generation and as a baby boomer, I don't fit. However, I don't think the senior centers should be eliminated.
I don't think many senior centers are catering to the Greatest Generation (1901-1924) since the youngest member of that generation will turn 90 yrs. old this year. Senior centers are dependent on funding and the expertise of the director. Kingsport, TN has a fabulous senior center. The exercise classes will put to test the stamina of folks many years younger. There are wonderful day trips to all sort of events & activities. There are also many extended trips on the agenda as well. The director is very much involved always asking members for their input. Unfortunately, the more popular events fill up fast and there is only so much room on the one small bus & van. The center desperately needs another bus to accommodate the interests. The city of Kingsport spends most of it's excess revenues on programs for children, so not much left over for the seniors. No new bus on the horizon.

I live in Sun City. AZ so not interested in senior centers. Of the 120+ charter clubs here, I am familiar with about 6 of them. The bulk of the members are somewhere in their 60's and early 70's. The older members in their 80's have been around for a long time and have contributed time & effort to making these clubs successful. They are embraced and loved by all members and nobody darts out the door because they do not want to associate with the older members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I don't think many senior centers are catering to the Greatest Generation (1901-1924) since the youngest member of that generation will turn 90 yrs. old this year. Senior centers are dependent on funding and the expertise of the director. Kingsport, TN has a fabulous senior center. The exercise classes will put to test the stamina of folks many years younger. There are wonderful day trips to all sort of events & activities. There are also many extended trips on the agenda as well. The director is very much involved always asking members for their input. Unfortunately, the more popular events fill up fast and there is only so much room on the one small bus & van. The center desperately needs another bus to accommodate the interests. The city of Kingsport spends most of it's excess revenues on programs for children, so not much left over for the seniors. No new bus on the horizon.

I live in Sun City. AZ so not interested in senior centers. Of the 120+ charter clubs here, I am familiar with about 6 of them. The bulk of the members are somewhere in their 60's and early 70's. The older members in their 80's have been around for a long time and have contributed time & effort to making these clubs successful. They are embraced and loved by all members and nobody darts out the door because they do not want to associate with the older members.
I shouldn't have used the name Greatest Generation. That's a Tom Brokaw made up name. The baby boomer generation starts in 1946 (1946 -1964). The generation before it (The Silent Generation) ends in 1945 making the youngest of them 69. That's the group I meant.

Names of Generations - Generational Names in the United States

Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM

419 posts, read 758,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I shouldn't have used the name Greatest Generation. That's a Tom Brokaw made up name. The baby boomer generation starts in 1946 (1946 -1964). The generation before it (The Silent Generation) ends in 1945 making the youngest of them 69. That's the group I meant.

Names of Generations - Generational Names in the United States
I was born in 1943 and am a member of the Silent Generation. You claim you do not fit into that generation but you might like hanging out with me. I love photography and take some great shots even if I have to say so myself

Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM

756 posts, read 835,953 times
My wife's new position is head of a senior center. Where we live Senior Services are administered by the local health department. I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer a few questions for me:

1. Have you ever been to a senior center for an activity? yes

2. If not, can you ever imagine going there? Why or why not?

3. Is there anything that could persuade you to go to the Senior Center? If so, what?

4. What types of activities at the center strike you as the most interesting?

(A) Guest speakers

(B) Musical performances.

(C) Arts and Crafts.

(D) Just general opportunities to socialize and talk with others.

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc.

(F) Other (describe)- their fitness center

5. Would the fact that a meal is served at the center make any difference to you? not right now but probably in the future.

6. Would free transportation to and from the center influence your decision to attend at all? in the future

7. Has anyone in your family ever regularly attended a senior center? Does this fact influence you at all? no

8. What statement best describes your view of senior centers:

A. I like the Senior Center and sometimes attend.

B. The Senior Center may be good for some seniors, it is not for me.

C. Senior Centers are a waste of tax dollars and should be eliminated.

D. I have gone, on occasion, to an activity at a center, but it is not something I will ever do regularly.

E. Senior Centers may have served a purpose at one time, but do not fit the needs of the elderly population today.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
1. Have you ever been to a senior center for an activity?
No

2. If not, can you ever imagine going there? Why or why not?
Never say never.

3. Is there anything that could persuade you to go to the Senior Center? If so, what?
A computer class that wasn’t “How to do email”.
An outside patio. A smoker's area.
Activities at different times of the day. Not just all in the AM.

4. What types of activities at the center strike you as the most interesting?

(A) Guest speakers
Financial that wasn’t trying to sell something.

(B) Musical performances.
Relative to my age. NOT 40’s and 50’s

(C) Arts and Crafts.
No.

(D) Just general opportunities to socialize and talk with others.
Sure

(E) Field trips away from the center to parks, monuments, shopping etc.
Maybe. If they’re overnighters, no single surcharges.
Parks or monuments? Nah. What about a winery trip?

(F) Other (describe)
Get the RVer’s together and have a camping trip!
Have a BBQ!
Have a dart competition!
Have a 50/50 raffle. Good for fundraising also.

5. Would the fact that a meal is served at the center make any difference to you?
If there were choices. If there was a salad bar.

6. Would free transportation to and from the center influence your decision to attend at all?
Not at this time.

7. Has anyone in your family ever regularly attended a senior center? Does this fact influence you at all?
Grandmother did (died in '77). Mother refused, said they were ‘cliquish’.

8. What statement best describes your view of senior centers:

A. I like the Senior Center and sometimes attend.

B. The Senior Center may be good for some seniors, it is not for me.
At this time.

C. Senior Centers are a waste of tax dollars and should be eliminated.

D. I have gone, on occasion, to an activity at a center, but it is not something I will ever do regularly.

E. Senior Centers may have served a purpose at one time, but do not fit the needs of the elderly population today.
And this. If they want to attract Boomers, they need to update and upgrade. Where’s the computer room? Who plays Bingo or shuffleboard? Old card games? Ick. Try Boomers Trivial Pursuit or Uno or Head’s Up or…

Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
I've always thought of the senior center as the poor man's country club. When I was in my masters program at university, I did a study/paper that involved interviewing seniors at the center. What an experience! Moan and groan and complain. Ugh! Then I read in the paper where one old dude at the center beat up another guy with a pool cue! I thought of joining their hiking group once, figuring maybe it would be about my speed, but then I read in the paper that one of the old folks dropped dead of a heart attack on a hike. I think perhaps, the senior center isn't such a good idea.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 741 times
I am a young looking and feeling sixty two. Nothing in a senior center interests me. I find trendy yoga abhorrent. Yoga is a spiritual path for my husband and me. I am not into acting teenage either. I also don't wish to go decked out like an aging hippy. I am rather bohemian but don't wish to call attention to my looks or behavior. I also can't stand constantly hearing about health conditions and ailments. My spouse is chronically ill and I deal with medical issues enough already. I guess I have a few things that really bother me about how society categorizes and stereotypes older people. I can't stand the terms "senior, boomer,boomerina," etc. I am myself with my own unique tastes.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:03 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelady77 View Post
I am a young looking and feeling sixty two. Nothing in a senior center interests me. I find trendy yoga abhorrent. Yoga is a spiritual path for my husband and me. I am not into acting teenage either. I also don't wish to go decked out like an aging hippy. I am rather bohemian but don't wish to call attention to my looks or behavior. I also can't stand constantly hearing about health conditions and ailments. My spouse is chronically ill and I deal with medical issues enough already. I guess I have a few things that really bother me about how society categorizes and stereotypes older people. I can't stand the terms "senior, boomer,boomerina," etc. I am myself with my own unique tastes.
Alrighty.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:38 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
No thanks. I live in a senior center (55+) and that's enough old people for me. We find ourselves gravitating toward young people things like rock concerts, city hikes, wine tasting events where there's a mix of all ages.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:42 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelady77 View Post
Thank you for capturing what I feel. Being with only seniors in planned activities is a death of the soul. There's something about being with people who make their own plans and seek out their own peers that puts a sparkle in their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement