Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

Its been a year since I retired from my job at a state agency here and went back to my office to see who was still there and how things were going.

I think I made the right decision by leaving a year ago. First, I got a bad feeling just walking in the door. Kinda like deja vu. Next I saw that 3 people had left, out of a team of 12, and the office layout appeared exactly the same as before. No changes. One of my closest friends there said she was "miserable" and wanted to quit. The office was freezing and I needed a sweater. Everyone asked if I missed them. ( No.)

Did you go back after you retired to see if you missed it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I went back 5 years later and except for 4 or 5 people that I knew everybody else was a stranger. The company was slowly failing and numerous people had been layed-off or fired. All the new people there were from other branches of the business.

I retired at the perfect time, the company was making good money and the products were in demand. I guess you can't go home again. It's been 11 years since I retired now and my 30 years with the company is just a distant memory.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Its been a year since I retired from my job at a state agency here and went back to my office to see who was still there and how things were going.

I think I made the right decision by leaving a year ago. First, I got a bad feeling just walking in the door. Kinda like deja vu. Next I saw that 3 people had left, out of a team of 12, and the office layout appeared exactly the same as before. No changes. One of my closest friends there said she was "miserable" and wanted to quit. The office was freezing and I needed a sweater. Everyone asked if I missed them. ( No.)

Did you go back after you retired to see if you missed it?
I did not miss it, so there was no reason to go back.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
When I retired as parking director at a university, I was invited back to the monthly pot lucks our dept always had. Overtime, the employees I knew left and I no longer visited. When I retired as a stripper, I never went back. It isn't the type of environment in which friendships/close relationships develop; very high turnover and competitive. Besides, it would have been too tempting to return to the stage.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Although I wasn't retired, about a year after we moved to VA I went back to Los Angeles for a visit and I stopped by my old job there. Everyone I knew there was gone. Apparently the office manager had been caught cooking the books and almost the entire staff was let go. The rest quit. I have no idea if they were all involved or if it was a "new broom sweeps clean" deal. The new workers didn't know much more than basic details.

Who knew! At the time I left some of those people had been there 20 years and I thought that place would always be the same. Guess I got out of there in the nick of time!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
A good number of office relationships are just situational. They exist as long as people are working together. Often after leaving, the relationships quickly disoolve since they were just situational and based on daily working together in the office, and have no extension outside of the office and no interest in relating to each other after departure.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Unless you can name ones children, know where a couple are both originally from, been to their home many times, shared laughs and tears, etc. then they are acquaintances (and many are situational as mat said), not "friends".

Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
The morning I walked out of the school where I worked for over thirty years, I never looked back. I will never go back to that place again!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I had 34 years with the same employer, but worked in several different locations. The last location lasted 21 years. After 10 months away (after retiring seven years ago), I was hired back for a three-week project. It was a very odd feeling to walk in from the parking lot and up the stairs into the building; it seemed like the ten months had evaportated and I had been there yesterday. I worked my last project there about a year ago, but I still go back from time to time. You find out who your real friends are, and they are not the majority. When I was useful there (playing a somewhat important role in the special projects even though retired), people would smile and greet me and act happy to see me. Now, a lot of them look through me as if I didn't exist. Others, my real friends, act like real friends. In most cases, but not all, I could have guessed which would be which. It is an odd sort of thing.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I go back aat elqast once ayear when soemone retires for their retirement party . I see many quite often away from offices but some it about the only time I see them.I enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement