Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
A good number of office relationships are just situational. They exist as long as people are working together. Often after leaving, the relationships quickly disoolve since they were just situational and based on daily working together in the office, and have no extension outside of the office and no interest in relating to each other after departure.
You are correct! After retiring I kept in touch with several co-workers, we would meet routinely for lunch. At first it was great, but it didn't take long before I stopped looking forward to meeting up with them because all they wanted to talk about was work. I kept trying to steer the conversation in other directions but it wasn't long before it was back to work talk again.

Fostering new friendship with many who are also retired vs. trying to sustain work-related friendships has worked better for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
A good number of office relationships are just situational. They exist as long as people are working together. Often after leaving, the relationships quickly disoolve since they were just situational and based on daily working together in the office, and have no extension outside of the office and no interest in relating to each other after departure.
How true...After working with 300 other employees and thinking i was making friends it amazed me how most of the friendships ended the day i retired.. i did go back a year later just to see the guys but it was rather shallow and depressing endeavor watching the same people doing the same things that they'll be doing till they retire.I did kinda miss being a part of everything and i still miss the social dynamics, things were so close to being the same as when i left that It actually felt like i'd just come back from a short break..

Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
I went back once to have lunch with my former co-workers. We had a good time. My former supervisor came up to me and asked if I would come back to work. She wasn't kidding. It made me feel proud. I was missed.

I think I will be meeting them for lunch again soon.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Gee whiz, no one asked me if I would come back to work. And they even have openings, too. Oh well, I wouldn't do it even if they asked. At least not there.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Gee whiz, no one asked me if I would come back to work. And they even have openings, too. Oh well, I wouldn't do it even if they asked. At least not there.
LOL! She had begged me not to leave too. But there was a reason. It was one of those typical corporate situations where a promotion to supervisor was given to a person who "played the game" to get her job rather than through knowledge of the work involved. She relied very heavily on me, who had been doing the work for years, to see her through. She always admitted that without me she would be lost and gave me little perks like Starbucks giftcards and reward mentions the company sponsored.

I really hadn't wanted to leave at the time, but do to a disability I had to. Still, I would have done it sooner or later just a bit later if I had my choice.

Since I last saw her, she was transferred to another department. I don't know if it was a lateral, upward or downward move but she doesn't need me any longer.

All my coworkers were also my trainees and very young. They still keep in touch via e-mail. I really like that.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeden View Post
Ellwood, did you relocate away from home? If so, how did you and your wife handle it? How did you make new friends?
Yes we relocated to upstate NY, 3.5 hours north from our home. We live in a rural area and met all the neighbors within a 3 mile radius, walking our golden retriever puppy. I became a volunteer fireman, we joined Patriot Guards, trained golden as a therapy dog, helped out neighbors and they in turn, helped us. Through the various organizations we met people and have been blessed to have fantastic neighbors (although there are only about 7 on our road). We also travel in our RV and spend a few months in FL Keys. RVing is a great way to meet life long friends. We RV with other couples during the year, planning 10-14 days trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement