Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,397,853 times

Advertisements

Right, but not the same. A digital camera only does movie clips and then you have to have a good size media card in it to do that. We have a 52mb card we use in ours for photos and a couple clips of video. Digital cameras were made for taking photos and the video part just an add on......so the video isn't as good as a regular video camera. Just like a video camera is made to take video and the added camera part is pretty low in MP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Blu-Ray DVD Player NO. Maybe later
Digital Camera YES - want a good SLR too
DVD Movie Camera NO - digital cameras have this function built inHD/Big Screen TV HD - YES Big screen NO. I too have no desire to live a movie theater. My TV is also a nice computer monitor.
GPS YES. But still need & use paper maps. GPS is good for details & lousy for longer range planning.
I-Pod Yes but different brand mp3 players. I misplace it a lot.

Might get a DVR. I use my computer now but the tuner seems inferior. I would love decent broadband but choices & services are poor here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,269,074 times
True enuf but they are just fine for my purposes to capture a little action. 52 MB? Pretty tiny. I use a 16GB sd card & have yet to use but a fraction of it. Each new version of digital camera gets better & better.

Just because another toy is better at a specific task doesn't mean that it is worth my time or money. There is this concept of good enough ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Right, but not the same. A digital camera only does movie clips and then you have to have a good size media card in it to do that. We have a 52mb card we use in ours for photos and a couple clips of video. Digital cameras were made for taking photos and the video part just an add on......so the video isn't as good as a regular video camera. Just like a video camera is made to take video and the added camera part is pretty low in MP.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM

That was the biggest media card on the market back when we bought our digital in 2005. We have two of them that match our camera......Panasonic Media Cards and Panasonic camera. When we go to certain events, we take photos and video both. We have the one that takes the small disc. Format the disc, record video, "finish" the disc, pop it out and put it into our DVD Player or computer......done. No transferring video like we did with old small cassette type video camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
True enuf but they are just fine for my purposes to capture a little action. 52 MB? Pretty tiny. I use a 16GB sd card & have yet to use but a fraction of it. Each new version of digital camera gets better & better.

Just because another toy is better at a specific task doesn't mean that it is worth my time or money. There is this concept of good enough ...

Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,122,916 times
"....Electronics Craze"

What a silly description. The world is changing rapidly due to modern electronics gear. The changes are way beyond a craze.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,739,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Not true. My camera takes HD movies that are as high resolution as your video camera, or so close you'll never see the difference. 1280x720 should satisfy pretty much anyone.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,547,027 times
We have and enjoying using all but the movie camera. Our digital cameras and cell phones have video capability when we want to shoot the occasional short.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,681,070 times
Being an engineer, we have them all and then some.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 AM

Wow......that's cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Being an engineer, we have them all and then some.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM

50 posts, read 111,953 times
The only thing about electronics is you just can't keep up. I remember getting excited when I built my first crystal radio from a kit my father bought me from Radio Shack. My, how times have changed. The CDs you've transferred media to are almost obsolete. They've been replaced by DVDs, smaller and smaller portable drives and "clouds". Even the future of television as we know it is questionable with access to so much online these days. Where will it all end?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 AM

We still have the CD's with photos on them, but have transfered all the photos from those CD's onto to a single 8 gig USB Storage. Also have a USB Storage that I now put any of our digital camera movie clips on. When will it all end.........most likely never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellitetre View Post
The only thing about electronics is you just can't keep up. I remember getting excited when I built my first crystal radio from a kit my father bought me from Radio Shack. My, how times have changed. The CDs you've transferred media to are almost obsolete. They've been replaced by DVDs, smaller and smaller portable drives and "clouds". Even the future of television as we know it is questionable with access to so much online these days. Where will it all end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement