Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,021,208 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the Gm display in the Ren Cen today and mostly looking at mileage and price. The Pontiac G-5 caught my eye $18,000 and 26/37 mpg. Seats 5 or 6 and it is no more ulgy or bland than an Accord or Camry. I am not familiar with this car. It looks like it might be a malibu. Anyone have any information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,957,349 times
Actually, it's the same thing as a Chevy Cobalt. I don't think it's a bad little car, others on this board will say to choose an Accord or Camry. I like the styling of the G5 better and it's made right down the road from me in Lordstown, Ohio. Many people in my community work at the plant and i know a few people that make the seats at Magna. Being that we have the plant here i see a ton Cobalts and G5's on the road. I also got to tour the assembly plant last year and it was an educational experience. Even though i worked at a GM supplier (Delphi) for seven years i actually learned a lot by taking a tour there. It was also pretty neat to see some of the wiring and connectors that i used to make/test actually being built into the cars.

As you probably know, the Cobalt/G5 replaced the Cavalier/Sunfire. I know people say that they are crappy cars, but i have personal experience w/both and never had a problem. We had an '85 Cavalier for 15 years (only problem was a bad gasket or something, don't remember, would have to ask my dad), i had a late 90s Sunfire for several years (no problems, got rid of it to upgrade to a Trailblazer), and my BFF has a 2000 Cavalier that is still going good after nine years. I also see many old Cavaliers (early 90s) driving around the streets of my town. I think the Cobalt/G5 is a vast improvement over the cars they replaced and if you can get some GM loyalty cash or other incentive it will probably be worth your while to buy one now. Good luck even if you don't pick the G5.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,292,489 times
It's smaller than the Accord/Camry. More comparable to the Civic/Corolla. Decently built, for a very small car. As good as the competition. I've worked on 'em all. Good luck getting six in there for seating, I think you only get five belts, and even that will be a squeeze with adults.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,639,632 times
I agree about the G5 compared to a Corolla. There's no way it's in the same league as the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Even if you had a four door G5 it would still be cramped for four adults. I'd check out the new Malibu, more room and power. The build qaulity of Cavaliers/Cobalts and Sunfires/G5's seems poor if you ask me. Cheap plastic et cetera.

Just my .02 cents

Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,509,731 times
Go sit inside one and touch/feel/listen for everything. Its got decent power for its class and looks somewhat sharp, but its built like arse, IMO. As Josh says, it utilizes cheap plastics, fabrics, etc... once again it appears GM has cut corners in many areas, most of which are not acceptable to buyers like me. I will say though, that its probably more fun to drive than a Corolla, no doubt. My friend has a Cobalt (same as the G5), which I got to drive, and I didnt like it one bit. Just my opinion...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Oops, yeah, you guys are right........i don't know why i always get the toyota and honda mid and small sized cars mixed up. The G5/Cobalt is small, especially the 2-door version. You should see my nearly 6' frame cramped in my friend's 2-door Cavalier's back seat! I think a 4-door would have a little more room. Four adults would be ok, but i think this is more of a one or two person car.........maybe ok if you've got little kids.

I agree w/Stevo........why not go w/the Malibu??? Much better "quality", better looking than Camry or Accord. GM might be having some good deals on the Impala as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM

353 posts, read 1,022,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Actually, it's the same thing as a Chevy Cobalt. I don't think it's a bad little car, others on this board will say to choose an Accord or Camry. I like the styling of the G5 better and it's made right down the road from me in Lordstown, Ohio. Many people in my community work at the plant and i know a few people that make the seats at Magna. Being that we have the plant here i see a ton Cobalts and G5's on the road. I also got to tour the assembly plant last year and it was an educational experience. Even though i worked at a GM supplier (Delphi) for seven years i actually learned a lot by taking a tour there. It was also pretty neat to see some of the wiring and connectors that i used to make/test actually being built into the cars.

As you probably know, the Cobalt/G5 replaced the Cavalier/Sunfire. I know people say that they are crappy cars, but i have personal experience w/both and never had a problem. We had an '85 Cavalier for 15 years (only problem was a bad gasket or something, don't remember, would have to ask my dad), i had a late 90s Sunfire for several years (no problems, got rid of it to upgrade to a Trailblazer), and my BFF has a 2000 Cavalier that is still going good after nine years. I also see many old Cavaliers (early 90s) driving around the streets of my town. I think the Cobalt/G5 is a vast improvement over the cars they replaced and if you can get some GM loyalty cash or other incentive it will probably be worth your while to buy one now. Good luck even if you don't pick the G5.
BTW...

What happened to GM not doing virtually the same cars with different badges?

G5/Cobalt
Acadia/Outlook/Enclave/Traverse

and others...

Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM

Honda and Toyota do the same thing

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 AM

353 posts, read 1,022,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Honda and Toyota do the same thing
True, but they don't look exactly the same. Look at a Camry and E350... an Accord and TL are actually different cars. The TL is the European version of the Accord.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,021,208 times
I will sit in a G5, but it does not sound like a good option for me. I am 6'1" and 210. I also have no interest in anyhting that is not at least a little bit fun to drive.

I like the Malibu LTZ (I think that is the model with the 6 cyl engine) ok. It does not get that great of mileage if I remember correctly and costs something over $30k when reasonably outfitted. I drove the Malibu with a smaller engine, It was boring (make that a capital B) and the MPG is really not impressive.

I will probably wait for something more exciting to come out, or for Chrsyler to go BK and pick up a great deal in the liquidation. No car companies have anything that I find really exciting. I want to find a good mileage car for daily commuting that is also fun to drive and not horrid in the snow (I am driving a 1995 Camaro Z28 - nothing is worse in the snow). I really like the old Honda Insight (80 mpg) but they are hard to find. Do not like the Prius. Everything else is boring or insanely expensive.

Since I live near Detroit, Non- big 3 cars are not a good idea for me. It is better than it was, but you can still get run off the road, lose a business deal, or just generally get scowled at for driving one of them "ferhin jobs" You never know when someone you meet just had a relative get laid off from the big 3 or a support business and has a bug in their ear agaisnt people who buy foreign cars.

So I guess I will probably keep looking and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands