Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 5,001,543 times

Advertisements

The market for compact hatchbacks is surprisingly limited in North America. Too many gas guzzlers out there. Hybrids are too expensive and too hard to fix so they are out of the question. My ideal car would have been a four door hatchback with a gas sipping Diesel engine but the short sighted American government outlawed normals diesels last year. I refuse to buy a Japanese car even if they are made in America so the Yaris/Matrix/Subaru Impreza and Mazda 3 was out of the picture for me.

What was left was the Ford Focus, the Pontiac Vibe, VW Rabbit and the Saturn Astra. My experiences with Fords are terrible and Ford canceled the hatchback for 2008 so the Focus is out of the picture. My experience with a VW is that they are a expensive maintenance hog. The VW is also made in Mexico so that was scratched from the entries too. I was down to the Vibe and the Astra.

We went with the Saturn Astra. This choice satisfied my nationalistic need for an American car with my European car fetish. The Saturn is a German design which means quality engineering and quality workmanship. This GM car is made in Belgium and shipped over. This car has good fuel economy 34MPG and a premium quality feel feel. The door seal has a load thud when it closes like a Benz or BMW when closed. The 5 speed gear box is tight and sporty. It is a proven success of a car, sort of like a BMW for the price of a Chevy. The Astra is the #2 seller in Europe where it is marketed as a Vauxhall Astra or Opel Astra. The initial concern is that the Astra is made in Europe so I hope parts are available in the future for repairs at a fair price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,088,837 times
I believe the Rabbit is made in Germany. You should look into the VW, especially if you want a diesel. Even if the Rabbit is made in Mexico, they have improved their QC there. I have a '04 Jetta Turbo and it has been a great car, and it was made at the Mexican plant. I'd stay awy from any GM product though........just my OP. (wouldn't care where it was made, still GM....... aka Great Mess)

Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,371,081 times
I own a saturn vue 2006, I have not had one problem with it, good gas mileage and dependability, can't go wrong with saturn.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Default reason a VW is out

My experience with a VW was limited to a 95 Passat I owned a few years ago. The handling, performance and feel of the car was the best out of any I had ever owned. However the maintenance on the thing was horrifically expensive, every part was 3X more than a simular part on a comparable American or Nippon/Korean car. The transmission failed and it was off to the Junkyard for the Passat.

As an American I really want to buy a car from one of the big three. The Saturn SC2 I had in the past was very reliable, just a bit dull and cheap on the inside. The Astra seems to cure those lack of personality issues with its German design and European interior quality. If the Astra has sound reliability it will prove to be a winner.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The market for compact hatchbacks is surprisingly limited in North America. Too many gas guzzlers out there. Hybrids are too expensive and too hard to fix so they are out of the question. My ideal car would have been a four door hatchback with a gas sipping Diesel engine but the short sighted American government outlawed normals diesels last year. I refuse to buy a Japanese car even if they are made in America so the Yaris/Matrix/Subaru Impreza and Mazda 3 was out of the picture for me.

What was left was the Ford Focus, the Pontiac Vibe, VW Rabbit and the Saturn Astra.
It would be more accurate to say that you've limited yourself as to what you'll buy rather than "the market for compact hatchbacks is limited" (as you proceed to rattle off half a dozen that you won't buy for various reasons, though you forgot the Nissan Versa and Honda Fit).

And it's a good thing you went with an Astra since the Vibe is a thinly re-skinned Matrix. (and you said you won't buy a Japanese car). But I'm not sure how much your "nationalistic need" is really satisfied by driving a German car with an American badge on it. The Astra isn't just a "German design" but it is in fact a straight-up rebaged Opel.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,023,540 times
It sounds similar to the 1970s when GM imported the German Opel 1900 Sedan and the Opel Manta. They were sold through Buick dealers in the U.S. Also the German Ford Fiesta hatchback was sold through U.S. Ford dealers.

Volkswagen AG is considering North Carolina and several other Southern states for a manufacturing plant, and a decision is expected soon. Expect to be operational by 2011.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 PM

Default Okay with a re-badged Opel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It would be more accurate to say that you've limited yourself as to what you'll buy rather than "the market for compact hatchbacks is limited" (as you proceed to rattle off half a dozen that you won't buy for various reasons, though you forgot the Nissan Versa and Honda Fit).

And it's a good thing you went with an Astra since the Vibe is a thinly re-skinned Matrix. (and you said you won't buy a Japanese car). But I'm not sure how much your "nationalistic need" is really satisfied by driving a German car with an American badge on it. The Astra isn't just a "German design" but it is in fact a straight-up rebaged Opel.
Perhaps the most telling selection of verbiage I could have used was that the selection of compact hatchbacks from domestic manufacturers is limited as I am only interested in acquiring a car from GM/Chrysler/Ford. Chrysler has the Caliber which is too big and the Focus is not offered as a hatchback for 2008.

Not only is the Saturn Astra a re-badged Opel it is a re-badged Vauxhall Astra or Holden Astra. I first noticed these cars a few years ago while in the UK on business. Not only is the the Vauxhall/Opel Astra GM's best selling car in Europe it was actually the the best selling car in Europe period a few years ago. Another intriguing fact is that we are getting a great deal on these Saturn Astra's,they retail for more in Europe. With the exchange rate the same car that costs $20k stateside would cost $27k in Germany. GM is eating the cost to gain market share now and to avoid having to have to design a new compact Saturn.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 AM

611 posts, read 1,461,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I believe the Rabbit is made in Germany. You should look into the VW, especially if you want a diesel. Even if the Rabbit is made in Mexico, they have improved their QC there. I have a '04 Jetta Turbo and it has been a great car, and it was made at the Mexican plant. I'd stay awy from any GM product though........just my OP. (wouldn't care where it was made, still GM....... aka Great Mess)
Not good advice, my friend. GM makes a plethora of well-built and reliable vehicles nowadays, so to tell anyone simply to avoid them isn't fair at all.

It's somewhat ironic, though, that you bash GM and praise Volkswagen all in the same post, given that VW as a company has a fairly poor record when it comes to reliability.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Not only is the Saturn Astra a re-badged Opel it is a re-badged Vauxhall Astra or Holden Astra.
It would be more accurate to say that that the Vauxhall Astra and Holden Astra are rebadged Opels. The other subsidiaries had very little to do with the design and development of the Astra.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,912,673 times
I just got a Saturn Aura. Love the car. It has all the luxury for much less. I got the XE model, the XR is like 6,000 more. I have the heated seats, moonroof and traction control. The car is great on gas mileage.

I heard the Saturn Astra will be assembled in the Lordstown Plant just outside of Youngstown where the Cobalt and G5 are being built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands