Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:03 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Corvair. My '63 Spyder was a great little car!
AMC Eagle. All it really needed was a good V6 or small V8, and a little re-style to update it. My SX/4 was more fun than the Corvair Spyder!
I totally agree with you. The Corvair finally became a handling champ when it got axed in 1969- mainly due to competition with the Mustang and Chevy's Camaro.

Also, Chevy's much maligned Vega finally improved in its last years ('76-'77) with improvements to its aluminum block engine, rust prevention, and cooling system improvements. I got 200K out of my '77.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Suzuki Gran Vitara and XL-7. Good value for the dollar.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Pontiac G8

Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Pontiac G8
the G8 technically is still around just in the Chevy SS well atleast till next year anyways till the SS production is axed

Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I think the last gen Pontiac Vibe was the best 'domestic' hatchback ever. Great styling and it has a reliable Toyota engine. It was only made in 2009 before Pontiac was discontinued along with the car. It was made at the joint run factory with GM and Toyota but while essentially the same car the Vibe had much better styling than the Matrix.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:45 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
By that I mean cars that came out as mediocre (or worse), got notable annual improvements, but got cancelled just as they were getting "good."

I'd throw in these:

Pontiac Fiero

and a personal fave: The Merkur Xr4ti
Growing up in the 1980s (born in ’75), I immediately thought of several cars from that era that fit the bill.

The Pontiac Fiero was the poster child for GM in the 70s and 80s. It seemed that they skipped the product testing and quality control on a lot of cars and let the poor SOBs who bought them do it instead. Slap something together, toss it on out there and see what comes back for warranty repairs.
The Fiero didn’t stand a chance of being of being the car that it was intended to be when it was introduced in 1984. It was sold to GM execs as a high-mileage commuter vehicle that could get up to 50mpg, so it would increase their Corporate Average Fuel Economy figures. It was given a shoe-string budget ($410 million, later slashed to $300 million) which required major compromises/shortcuts. The rear suspension was borrowed from the X-car (Chevy Citation) and front suspension came from the Chevy Chevette. Hopes of developing a unique, economical engine for the car were also quashed by the budget. Instead, they used the corporate GM “Iron Duke” 2.5L 4-cylinder (outdated, heavy, noisy and underpowered).

The most innovative aspect of the Fiero was the steel space frame and fiberglass/plastic body panels designed for it. Beyond that, the only thing it really had going for it was looks….and it looked good at the time! But the ’84 with 4-speed manual took 11.3sec to reach 60mph…the more common 3-speed automatic was several seconds slower. It didn’t help that the Honda CRX was introduced about the same time, for less money and significantly lighter on its feet.

For ’85, a new 5-speed manual replaced the 4-speed with the 4-cylinder engine and a 2.8L V6 with 48 extra horsepower (140 vs. 92) was also added. But yet another 2-seat competitor arrived in ’85 courtesy of the Toyota MR2. Sales took a hit with the MR2 and CRX picking up sales momentum. For ’86, a new ‘fastback-look’ for the GT and 5-speed manual for the V6 were added.

By 1986, rumors of engine fires were becoming very common and, unfortunately, true. My cousin’s early-production red ’84 Fiero SE burst into flames in downtown Atlanta in November 1985. A bystander noticed the flames coming from behind the rear window (where the mid-engine was mounted) and she escaped unharmed. When the firemen arrived, all that was left was melted red plastic dripping off a steel space frame! She decided to get a larger, safer car and (unknown to her at the time) bought the first Acura Legend sold in the state of Georgia.

The engine fire issue only affected a small number of cars, but it was very bad publicity. In 1988, the Fiero finally got a $30 million suspension that it deserved from the beginning. But the bad publicity and plummeting sales caused GM to pull the plug at the end of the 1988 model year, just when it had finally turned into a good looking, great handling and quick car that didn’t burst into flames.

My second pick is another GM ‘destined to fail’ project- the Cadillac Allanté. The bodies were designed and manufactured by Pininfarina in Italy, then flown to Detroit to be mated with the domestic-built chassis and engine. What could possibly go wrong with that plan? The car was intended to compete against the Mercedes SL and Jaguar XJS convertibles.

The saddest part was the 170hp 4.1L Caddy HT-4100 engine under the hood. Quality control, leaking convertible tops and engine problems were all common complaints for ’87 models. For ’88, they increased the engine to 4.5L and increased output to a more credible 200hp. The quality improved over time, but it wasn’t until 1993 that it truly became a viable alternative to the SL or XJS. The ’93 was introduced in early 1992 with the new 295hp 4.6L Northstar V8. 1993 was the final year for the $60k+ car ($100k in today’s $$$).

My final pick shared an engine with the Merkur XR4Ti mentioned by the OP. The Ford Mustang SVO was introduced for the 1984 model year with a 175hp version of the 2.3L turbo 4-cylinder. The much lighter engine was mounted perpendicular to the front axle which improved handling substantially compared to V8 Mustangs. For 1986, the engine got a boost to 200hp and flush headlights gave the ‘unique’ fascia a much cleaner look.

The SVO was intended to fight against European and Japanese sports cars of the day. But to Mustang fans, the 210hp V8 GT costing about $4k less ($11k vs. $15k) made much more sense. The ’86 was a great vehicle, if only they had priced it a little lower and marketed it a bit more.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
68 Ford Torino "Fast Back " Windsor 302

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Torino

Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
The Fiero was also starting to take sales away from the flagship Corvette at the end. Chevy just had a bigger bat. I think the Fiero could of eventually been a great sports car.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Cord

Corvair

Old 10-20-2016, 06:40 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
The Toyota Supra. It was a slow ugly crapbox when it first came out. By the time it was cancelled it was fast and beautiful, not even close to being the same car it was in the beginning.
Supra was the first car that came to mind and I have no idea why Toyota scrapped it. It's 2JZ-GTE I6 Twin-turbo engine was easily modifiable with tremendous results. With just simple turbo upgrades I've seen first hand how that car flat out embarrassed supercars that cost 3-4 times as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands