Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM

20 posts, read 94,426 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This forum has been helpful in more ways than I can count. I now find myself in the position to relocate to the DC area and to be honest, have never filled out a "rental application" before. This is for a short term sublet.

These are the areas of concern I have with the application and perhaps you folks and shed some insight as to why it is being asked.

1. SS# For credit checks most likely, but I'm always wary of giving it out.
  2. Current Supervisor name & phone? Still not too sure on this. Is this for contact prior to renting or after should a non-payment issue occur?
  3. DOB?
  4. Will I have an issue renting since my name has never appeared on a lease before?
The following statement is also present on the application:

All applicants information will be checked through "The Registry", (301-230-2578) I further authorize [Rental Agent Name Removed by me]. to use any agent, credit, criminal and/or investigative agency employed by such to investigate the references herein listed or statements obtained by me or from any other person pertaining to my employment history, credit, prior tenancies, character, and mode of living, to obtain a consumer report and such other credit information which may result thereby and to disclose and furnish such information to the owner/agent listed above in support of this application.

I tried googling "The Registry" but didn't come up with anything based on the associated phone number. In fact, the number seemed to be for a moving company. Anyone familiar with them at all?

I do plan to ask for clarification of these matters when I get to view the apartment, but am I being paranoid here? The application was not part of our initial email correspondence and it is not required to view the apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
I do think you are being a little paranoid.

Everybody uses SSNs to identify people. That's why they were created. There are a million people with the name Old J. Mailbox out there--they have to make sure they are looking at the right person's credit/background. Your SSN is the only thing that can be completely identifiable as you and no one else. Banks use your SSN, utility companies, employers, landlords, insurance companies, doctors, and all kinds of other people.

Supervisor and phone--they need to confirm your employment and your salary. They may also ask about your character. FCRA prohibits LLs or any other debt collector from contacting an employer or anyone else about your debt.

DOB--to match up with the SSN. And to identify if you are young enough to require a cosigner.

The name and ph# they've provided are the name of the third-party information provider that they use to check your credit and history. Per FCRA they are required to provide this information to you, and should they deny your applicaiton you are allowed to know why and to contact this source for a copy of the information they provided. The legal statement that follows that name and ph# are what they are required to print per FCRA notifying you of the your rights before they check your credit.

These are extremely basic pieces of information that you will need to provide just about any time you fill out any kind of application--banking, jobs, rental, major purchases. Whatever. You need to get used to it.

Some LLs require a year or two of good rental history. Most won't. Most LLs are more concerned with bad history than no history.

It is good to protect yourself against identity theft. But unless you plan to spend your life in a remote cabin living off the land, you're going to have to get used to sharing some of this information too.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I came across the posting via Craigslist so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I do think you are being a little paranoid.

Everybody uses SSNs to identify people. That's why they were created. There are a million people with the name Old J. Mailbox out there--they have to make sure they are looking at the right person's credit/background. Your SSN is the only thing that can be completely identifiable as you and no one else. Banks use your SSN, utility companies, employers, landlords, insurance companies, doctors, and all kinds of other people.

Supervisor and phone--they need to confirm your employment and your salary. They may also ask about your character. FCRA prohibits LLs or any other debt collector from contacting an employer or anyone else about your debt.

DOB--to match up with the SSN. And to identify if you are young enough to require a cosigner.

The name and ph# they've provided are the name of the third-party information provider that they use to check your credit and history. Per FCRA they are required to provide this information to you, and should they deny your applicaiton you are allowed to know why and to contact this source for a copy of the information they provided. The legal statement that follows that name and ph# are what they are required to print per FCRA notifying you of the your rights before they check your credit.

These are extremely basic pieces of information that you will need to provide just about any time you fill out any kind of application--banking, jobs, rental, major purchases. Whatever. You need to get used to it.

Some LLs require a year or two of good rental history. Most won't. Most LLs are more concerned with bad history than no history.

It is good to protect yourself against identity theft. But unless you plan to spend your life in a remote cabin living off the land, you're going to have to get used to sharing some of this information too.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times
Whatever you do, do not email back with your info. Call that number- has been disconnected. I would think if it wasn't a scam, they would have at least provided you with a working number
I would never email to anyone what my SSN, DOB and full name is. You have no idea who is really on the receiving end of the email

Oh, and flag that listing ASAP so someone won't get suckered into giving out their info. Man, CL is starting to suck

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the tip. I would never be crazy enough to send this info via email but I'll report back after I've seen the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Whatever you do, do not email back with your info. Call that number- has been disconnected. I would think if it wasn't a scam, they would have at least provided you with a working number
I would never email to anyone what my SSN, DOB and full name is. You have no idea who is really on the receiving end of the email

Oh, and flag that listing ASAP so someone won't get suckered into giving out their info. Man, CL is starting to suck

Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
FCRA prohibits LLs or any other debt collector from contacting an employer or anyone else about your debt.
It's actually the FDCPA...Fair Debt Collection Practice Act. FCRA is the Fair Credit Reporting Act and governs just that, credit reporting.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMailbox View Post
Thanks for the input. I came across the posting via Craigslist so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Oh yeah, I didn't get that from your original post. If you haven't actually seen the apartment in person, I'd be extra cautious. Don't provide the info until you've seen the apartment, or at least met with management. I had assumed you had received this request from the LL in person or after viewing the apartment.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:11 PM

88 posts, read 335,544 times
I would definitely be weary about giving my social security number out. I was a victim of identity theft last year and scared the crap out of me. I lost alot of money and my life is just getting back on track.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
It is odd that they ask for supervisor instead of an HR contact. Wherever I'd worked in a mid-sized or larger company, they've told us that all employment verification requests should go through HR.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It is odd that they ask for supervisor instead of an HR contact. Wherever I'd worked in a mid-sized or larger company, they've told us that all employment verification requests should go through HR.
I ended up putting down an HR contact since that just made more sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting