Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,039 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can maybe give me some information about this situation..

I was sharing a 4 bedroom house with 3 of my other sorority sisters, huge mistake on my part, shouldve never pledged. Anyways I signed a lease that ran from August 1st, 2008 till Aug 1st, 2009. We all signed our own lease, however we did sign each other's individual leases as well. Well it just so happens to be that I moved out early because I transferred schools. We each paid a thousand dollar deposit. I told the landlord I would find someone to move in and unfortunately I had not been able to due to, once again, my nightmarish "sisters". They winced at the fact that I suggested someone to sublessee and needless to say promised to raise legal hell. I moved out by december and january and february the place was vacant. My landlord called me and said he wanted rent for those months and was threatening to send both my roommates and I to court lest I produced rent. In march a girl moves in and no one has notified me of this, I received no further calls or papers regarding an impending court date, or demands for rent. She moved in or around march 10-15. I have not signed any document officially releasing me from the lease.

So is it safe to assume my landlord let me use my deposit for february and january's rent? And that by this girls move-in into my room, she paid a new deposit and therefore was allowed to occupy the space? Or is she living there under my name in which this case I will be charged for whatever damage occuring to the room at the end of the lease?

She is threatning to move out because I have an outstanding arguement over utilities with the previous roommates and she has clearly entered on their side by threatning me. She says she hasn't signed the lease yet, which she knows would force me to find a replacement or pay rent.

Would the landlord let her live in my room without any paperwork or leases, allowing her to just pay rent while the lease is in my name?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,392 times
It depends on the landlord... trust me all landlords are different.

I would get this resolved... just because somebody else moves in doesn't mean the landlord can't hold you to your lease.

I would get informed on your states landlord/tenant laws and try and resolve the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting