Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,921 times

Advertisements

Hi I am in CA and am very new at the landlord thing. My tenant signed a lease for 6mos. and was given the keys. She also had started painting in one room, but never moved any of her stuff in. My husband wanting to make it "nice" for her (BIG MISTAKE) and decided to change out the guest bathroom sink at which point he discovered dry rot on the sub floor and then gutted the bath. At this point she said she was going out of town for a week but didn't feel she should have to pay for that week because the bathroom wasn't finished. We agreed and prorated it. When she came home, she had changed her mind and now wants out of the lease and her $1000.00 deposit returned. Does anyone know what my legal responsibility and rights are? We are only renting this place until the market turns around. It belonged to my deceased mother. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Let her leave without the deposit. She signed for 6 months, it will hold up in court. There's no regret period in CA.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
yeah you can legally keep her deposit she broke the lease not you . although she can take you to court and say the reason she broke it was the house was not livable ie: the bathroom being not finished and if she does that she will get the deposit back cause more than likely the judge will side with her because the bathroom was not finished and therefore she does or did have cause to break the lease . I would just give her the deposit back and avoid all that nasty mess . Good luck . This happened to my brother when he was a landlord .

Old 04-07-2009, 05:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,984 times
I see both sides, however, I think you should give the deposit back because gutting the bathroom is a major deal- doesn't matter if she was home or not.

Just let this one go as a good experience.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 AM

850 posts, read 4,742,336 times
I disagree, I think the bathroom issue is one that could have come up during any time during the lease and as long as you were taking appropriate steps to remedy the situation and compensate her accordingly, it doesn't affect her living experience or her ability to finish out the rest of the lease. According to most state laws, she's responsible for rent until you find a new tenant, so hang onto her deposit until then and pro-rate or charge accordingly. I don't think her argument would hold up in court. She didn't notice the issue either when she did a move in inspection.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
I would keep the deposit and until you have found another tenant she is responsible for the rent....as long as you have taken action as soon as you noticed soemthing was wrong in the bathroom and fixed the issue she has no grounds whatsoever.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,635,836 times
Was the bathroom finished when she returned from out of town? If not, what was the ETA on completion? Was it the only bathroom? If it was her only bathroom and the bathroom was unusable due to renovation, then it certainly did effect her living experience.

If I was the landlord I would let her out and return the deposit minus a redecorating fee to paint that room back to whatever color it is supposed to be. You may be able to get her on the hook for more than that, but I suspect it would be more trouble than it is worth.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Tell her, you will keep say 100-150 because now you need to find a new tennant, and that will be
your upfront cost. She should be happy with that, then you can find another person. Also you may need to buy paint ect.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
IMO you don't have to return any of the deposit as I have posted earlier and she has to pay up till the time you have some one else moving in...isn't that what a contract is for!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 PM

850 posts, read 4,742,336 times
Yep, I agree with Bentlebee...I wouldn't back down. She inconvenienced you WAY more by defaulting on your agreement. You're out way more than a measly $150 dollars or so. The law is on your side on this one, you didn't do anything wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting