Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,421 times

Advertisements

I'm running into an issue where a previous tenant is still providing my rental address as if he still lived there.

The unit is currently empty, so I routinely stop by and clear all the mail that accumulates by the door.

What I'm finding is a ton of his unpaid bills, a TON of parking ticket violations, cellphone service, magazine subscriptions he signed up AFTER moving out, ect.

The reason why I want to check with you guys is because this shady character opens credit cards, cellphone services and utilities under different names, and the bills and collection letters arrive at my rental.

I believe that little to no trouble can come from this on my end (Im the LL) but it still pisses me off.

Anything specific I should be doing??

Currently I write "WRONG ADDRESS" on the envelope and give it back to the mailman.

I like to avoid trouble by generally planing for the worst while expecting the best. Its the main reason why I didn't renew these people's lease. Also, this is reason why I want to pick your brains regarding this issue.

EDIT: Shady 30y/o character lived with mommy, whom I rented to. She checked out and always paid on time. Its the only reason why a character of this caliber could ever move into one of my properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM

211 posts, read 816,487 times
Return to Sender. Address Unknown. No such number. No such home.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
If you KNOW he's using false or other people's identities to open lines of credit, etc. you should make a police report and let the police deal with him. How would you know what he's doing if you aren't opening his mail?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
If you KNOW he's using false or other people's identities to open lines of credit, etc. you should make a police report and let the police deal with him. How would you know what he's doing if you aren't opening his mail?
I would never open mail that doesnt belong to me. That's a big no-no. I don't even open my wife's mail.

I caught on to his schemes pretty early, because

1) I overheard him bragging to his buddies about it on numerous occasions.
2) His little daughter ratted him out innocently.
3) He is not even smart enough to use full fake names. They are all variations on his own name. Or his name with his mother's maiden's last name. His driver's license goes by his father's last name. Even a dummy could figure this stuff out.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,511 times
I kept getting tax collection bills, credit card bills, etc, of the previous tenant when I bought my house. I sent them back with "Return to Sender - person doesn't live here" for about one year, but still kept getting them. I found the previous tenant's address on those websites where you can find info on people, like pipl.com or spokeo.com. I started sending them back with "Return to Sender" on the front. On the back, I'd write "Person doesn't live here anymore. Check tax database to confirm new owner. Found previous tenant address on pipl.com".

After two months of that, I stopped getting their bills.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
I would never open mail that doesnt belong to me. That's a big no-no. I don't even open my wife's mail.

I caught on to his schemes pretty early, because

1) I overheard him bragging to his buddies about it on numerous occasions.
2) His little daughter ratted him out innocently.
3) He is not even smart enough to use full fake names. They are all variations on his own name. Or his name with his mother's maiden's last name. His driver's license goes by his father's last name. Even a dummy could figure this stuff out.
Ok, so if you know he's committing fraud, file a police report and let them deal with him.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
DO NOT OPEN ANY MAIL. Write on the envelopes of all incoming mail, "no longer here" and return to the PO. It may take a couple of months for the USPS mail to stop coming but return it as stated. Under no circumstances open any of the mail.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Call the US Postal Inspectors hotline 1-877 876-2455 (option 3 if its about false identities, option 4 if its about using the mail for fraud). Explain in unemotional facts of what is happening. Let them handle it from there. Call ASAP because they may want you to save the mail for them, so don't send back eveidence they can use.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 05-04-2011 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Call the US Postal Inspectors hotline 1-877 876-2455 (option 3 if its about false identities, option 4 if its about using the mail for fraud). Explain in unemotional facts of what is happening. Let them handle it from there. Call ASAP because they may want you to save the mail for them, so don't send back eveidence they can use.

I was going to say this as well...and please give us an update.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times
Call the postal inspectors as suggested. As a LL, when tenants move and mail contiues to arrive I just mark return to sender and mail it. It stops after a while. In your case it sounds like he is using an old address to commit fraud with credit cards and cell phones. Report it. You could also mark the inside of the mailbox with the current tenants name. If vacant, mark the box as vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting