Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 05:44 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romania16 View Post
I'm a tenant. The property management called me and said that in 30 days they will no longer be managing the rental home I'm in due to the owners decision to part ways. The PM said that the owner is demanding that they get to keep the security deposit from previous tenant and from me. I personally know that is illegal on the owners behalf. To avoid the conflict am I able to terminate my lease that I signed with the PM early without penalty? Is the land lord required to write a new lease for me to sign?
The PM is being fired and, apparently, trying to cause problems for the owners. Contact the owners directly to find out what's going on and how it might impact you. As stated above, the PM acts on behalf of the owner. PMs can come and go but the owners are the landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 845 times
Default PM breach the contract

The Pm i hired rented my property without informing my via email or certified mail which was in our contract that they have to inform me with the propose increase etc.And the worst is they did not increase the rent so for 2.5 years the guy is paying same amount.By the way the property is in San diego which is renting is so high.Now i check my contract between them and me and the contract i have with the PM ended last feb 2017.So now i wanna fire them for breaching the contract of leasing the property without letting me know via email or cert mail.Now should i make a new contract with the tenant?Or I will just continue the contract the tenant signed with the PM?The property management already agreed that Im taking over the management of my house but I am just concern about this contract with the tenant.Please give some knowledgeable advice.Thanks.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2014 View Post
The Pm i hired rented my property...
the contract i have with the PM ended last feb 2017.So now i wanna fire them ...
I will just continue the contract the tenant signed...

Please give some knowledgeable advice.Thanks.
Drop by and talk to YOUR tenant.
Explain the change and offer them the choice to continue until the lease end date
or change to a M2M agreement now ...and ten days to decide which.

Follow up that verbal with a written statement.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:43 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
You can speak to the current tenants and see if they would agree to a new agreement. However, if they have a current lease, they are not obligated to sign a new one and you must honor what they have. CA courts have taken a dim view of new leases while an existing lease is valid where deception was involved. So, you can talk to them and come to a understanding, but you must clearly let them know they are under no obligation to sign anything new and what they have is still good until it ends.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 590 times
I have just inherited a Fourplex rental property. The property manager worked for my grandparents for over 25 years. He has not maintained the property. There are several issues that could cause me great liability by his disregard of necessary repairs. The manager never raised the rent on these units so they are about $1000 under the average rent for same size/quality rentals in the area.

Am I able to fire him for his negligence or do I need to honor a 30-90 day notice to terminate his service?

Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 PM

357 posts, read 247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inicap2u View Post
I have just inherited a Fourplex rental property. The property manager worked for my grandparents for over 25 years. He has not maintained the property. There are several issues that could cause me great liability by his disregard of necessary repairs. The manager never raised the rent on these units so they are about $1000 under the average rent for same size/quality rentals in the area.

Am I able to fire him for his negligence or do I need to honor a 30-90 day notice to terminate his service?
Read the contract and abide by it. If you don’t see a way in the contract to get rid of him right away, give the notice. Although if the property changed hands, I would assume that you’re able to renegotiate any existing contracts (aside from the leases themselves - those typically transfer to the new owner but you’ll need to give a new lease at renewal time).

Old 07-26-2019, 01:06 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:

You'd have to read the contract, if there is one.

Since you own the property, don't need their (PM's) permission to do much...Ask for copies of all the leases for the tenants so you know who owes what, give them (PM) a 30 day notice or whatever is required. Then I'd notify the tenants of the repairs and proceed to manage the property as you see best.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
I have just inherited a Fourplex rental property.
The property manager worked for my grandparents...
Am I able to fire him...?
Yes.

Quote:
do I need to honor a 30-90 day notice to terminate his service?
Does he have a contract saying so?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
You would need to see a contract signed by him and your grandparents showing terms of termination, and if for cause, that he was required to maintain it. Do you know that your grandparents provided the funds for the maintenance? If they did, and he just kept the money there could be fraud involved.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby2000 View Post
My property manager gave up his real estate license and quit on us. We have a lease with 8 months left on it. The tenant is saying the lease is void because the lease is with the property manager not us, the owner. Is there a statute that says somewhere that lease is valid a property manager works in behalf of the owner? And lease with property manager is lease with owner?
The tenant is wrong. The agent is your representative. You are still the one who the lease transfers to. It would be no different if you sold the property. The new landlord has to follow that lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting