Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 17,385 times

Advertisements

I fired my property manager after 3 months. I am managing the rental in California on my own. The tenants signed the lease with the Property management company. I want them to sign an addendum saying that I am now the manager with the new contact information. They refuse to sign the addendum and want to get rid of some of the terms on the original lease. If the tenants refuse to sign, is the original lease still enforceable in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googoo871 View Post
I fired my property manager after 3 months. I am managing the rental in California on my own. The tenants signed the lease with the Property management company. I want them to sign an addendum saying that I am now the manager with the new contact information. They refuse to sign the addendum and want to get rid of some of the terms on the original lease. If the tenants refuse to sign, is the original lease still enforceable in California?

The original lease should be enforceable until it expires, no matter who is managing it. You can't just barge in and change clauses without both parties agreeing in written form to annul the old lease and signing a new one.

So I believe that the tenants are in the right for refusing to sign anything. If the management company that you fired is holding your tenants security deposit, make sure they transfer it to you, or it'll be coming out of your pocket.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the response. I have been holding their deposit. I meant to say that I don't want to change anything in the lease. The tenants are the ones who want to change the terms because the property management company added more detailed terms on top of the standard California State lease agreement . All I want the tenants to do is to acknowledge that they are still held accountable to the original lease and they need to contact us instead of the property management company, and here is the address they need to send their rent to. They are already doing it by the way. Is this a moot point to insist on having them sign this "addendum"?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Why not just send them a certified letter informing them that you are now managing the property and updating the new address for submitting rent payments? That will give you the signatures you feel you need.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM

I think that's what I need to do instead of bugging them to sign. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
no need for a new lease. just give new contact info for any maintenance issues and new address for rent payments. The old lease is still in force.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
They don't have to sign anything. You just have to notify them that you are now doing the management and give them the new address to send the rent to. Lease stays in effect.

You'd better toughen up. Tenants ask and ask, even if they don't expect you to say yes. I suggest you practice saying "no". You are going to say no a lot, or else your tenants will run right over the top of you,

Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 PM

You are absolutely correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting